[REMOVE ADS]

Tina Turner Private Dancer 30th Anniversary Edition

I apologize if this has been discussed here already. There will be a 2 CD 30th Anniversary Edition of Tina Turner’s “Private Dancer” released in May. Disc two is all bonus tracks, comprising of non-album B-sides, 12” mixes, and other tracks from that era. Some of these were already released on the reissue of Private Dancer released years ago and some other tracks have been included on other compilations a number of times. Still may be of interest to some. I intend to pick this up.

CD1. PRIVATE DANCER
    I Might Have Been Queen
    What’s Love Got To Do With It
    Show Some Respect
    I Can’t Stand The Rain
    Private Dancer
    Let’s Stay Together
    Better Be Good To Me
    Steel Claw
    Help!

CD2. BONUS DISC
    Ball Of Confusion [[That’s What The World Is Today) [[with B.E.F.)
    I Wrote A Letter
    Rock ‘n Roll Widow
    Don’t Rush The Good Things
    When I Was Young
    Keep Your Hands Off My Baby
    Tonight [[Live with David Bowie)
    Let’s Pretend We’re Married
    What’s Love Got To Do With It [[Extended 12” Remix)
    Better Be Good To Me [[Extended 12” Remix)
    I Can’t Stand The Rain [[Extended 12” Remix)
    Show Some Respect [[Extended Mix)
    We Don’t Need Another Hero [[Thunderdome)
    One Of The Living
    It’s Only Love [[with Bryan Adams)

http://tinaturnerblog.com/2015/03/24...ary-tracklist/

30 years. Damn I feel old.

Though not a soul album as such this was one hell of an album. I bought the expanded edition issued a few years ago. Not sure if it will be worth purchasing again but I shall certainly investigate. 30 years indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Though not a soul album as such this was one hell of an album. I bought the expanded edition issued a few years ago. Not sure if it will be worth purchasing again but I shall certainly investigate. 30 years indeed.

Same here. The majority of mixes are on the Expanded Edition. An amazing breakthrough. Performances like "I Can't Stand the Rain" and even the smash, "What's Love Got to Do With It" help balance out the more pop/rock tracks like "Better Be Good to Me". I suppose if "Expose's"[[debut album......don't ask) made it to the Billboard Hip Hop/Soul Top 20.......surely, Tina's "Private Dancer" qualifies.

[[I suspect there were a number of soul music lovers applauded for Tina's success. Really, until Santana's "Supernatural" returned them to the top of the charts...."Private Dancer" was an emotional comeback to someone who had not really achieved the commercial success her status dictated).

The fact that the album was put together in around 30 days after the unexpected success of "Let's Stay Together".....makes this achievement even more astounding.

The reaction to "Private Dancer" in my high school was incredible. Tina Turner was the same age as my mother but she certainly seemed more youthful and hip. We all adored her. 1984 was a magical year for music.

Would this be the first time "One of the Living" has been released on a Tina Turner collection?

RossHolloway Guest
    I remember first listening to this album while studying for final exams as a sophomore in high school!

Though not a soul album as such this was one hell of an album. I bought the expanded edition issued a few years ago.
    Of course it's a soul album! And a pop album. And, a rock album! There's something in it for everybody, and Tina sings every one of them with lots of soul.

I bought the JVC XRD CD years ago, and it is still, IMO, the best-sounding version there is of that album. And, BTW, for those who only have the U.S. Capitol vinyl LP, the label screwed up the intended sequence. See, the album was specifically created for the CD format, and was released that way worldwide on CD. It was even released with the CD sequence on vinyl in every country except the U.S., where Capitol, in their strange wisdom, rearranged a few of the tracks. They also screwed with The Beatles albums 20 years before until the band put a stop to it. So, id you want to hear the album as the producers intended, listen to the CD, or a U.K. vinyl pressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    The reaction to "Private Dancer" in my high school was incredible. Tina Turner was the same age as my mother but she certainly seemed more youthful and hip. We all adored her. 1984 was a magical year for music.

Would this be the first time "One of the Living" has been released on a Tina Turner collection?
    Besides the soundtrack I believe One Of The Living is on Tina's Platinum Collection. Awesome song and one of my favorites. There's a remix that is incredible as well. Never understood why she never did it in her live shows. Hot 100 #15 and she also won a Grammy for Best Rock Vocal Performance, Female.
    Last edited by nathanj06; 04-18-2015 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    Besides the soundtrack I believe One Of The Living is on Tina's Platinum Collection. Awesome song and one of my favorites. There's a remix that is incredible as well. Never understood why she never did it in her live shows. Hot 100 #15 and she also won a Grammy for Best Rock Vocal Performance, Female.
    I think she did ONE OF THE LIVING during the 1985 PRIVATE DANCER tour, but it was dropped after that. Ditto with I DON'T WANNA FIGHT which she only performed during her 1993 WHAT'S LOVE? tour.

You're probably right Reese. I saw the What's Love concert and she did do I Don't Wanna Fight. I was just thrilled she opened with Steamy Windows coming down those stairs. What an entrance. I'm still hoping for the HBO Break Every Rule to come out on DVD. That was my favorite aside from Barcelona. I also saw the last show in Nov. 2008, Tina Live.
    Last edited by nathanj06; 04-18-2015 at 05:44 PM.

There is a DVD called "Live in Rio". I always thought that's the HBO special? It's from the Break Every Rule tour.

One of the Living is also one of my favourites. I don't have it on CD yet, along with a handful of the other bonus tracks being included on this release, so I plan to purchase

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    There is a DVD called "Live in Rio". I always thought that's the HBO special? It's from the Break Every Rule tour.

One of the Living is also one of my favourites. I don't have it on CD yet, along with a handful of the other bonus tracks being included on this release, so I plan to purchase
    The RIO'88 dvd is a indeed from a live HBO telecast filmed during the Break Every Rule tour.

There was also a 1986 HBO special entitled BREAK EVERY RULE that aired not long after the album was released. It was filmed at Camden Palace in London and featured guest star Robert Cray. Most of the material performed came from the album of the same name, with the exception of A CHANGE IS GONNA COME and three tunes from the original guest star Wilson Pickett.
    Last edited by reese; 04-19-2015 at 09:21 AM.

soulster - If you think it is a soul album then fair enough but i don't think it was. It was not intended as a soul album, and was not particularly aimed at soul fans. It reached the market it was intended for - pop and rock and as mainstream as you could wish for, but we can certainly agree on one thing - it was a wonderfully balanced and consistent album. All the more impressive when you realise how quickly it was all put together. Still my favourite Tina album and the album version of the title track is just pure heaven.

soulster - If you think it is a soul album then fair enough but i don't think it was. It was not intended as a soul album, and was not particularly aimed at soul fans. It reached the market it was intended for - pop and rock and as mainstream as you could wish for, but we can certainly agree on one thing - it was a wonderfully balanced and consistent album. All the more impressive when you realise how quickly it was all put together. Still my favourite Tina album and the album version of the title track is just pure heaven.
    How do you know what the album was intended to be?

So, in the 80s: did rock co-opt R&B, or did R&B co-opt rock? You may have a narrow definition of what soul music is, but, as far as i'm concerned, the performance was soulful. Did the album have rock elements? Sure! Did The Isley Brothers T-Neck albums have rock elements? You bet! How about Commodores? Most certainly! Did some of The Jacksons songs have rock elements? Oh yeah! The rock didn't make any of those artists music or albuns any less soulful.

See, when people say that something isn't "soul" because it has elements of something else, you are doing the same thing the rockists do when they whine that something has R&B or country in it.

Now, is you really want to get it down to the real nitty-gritty, it ALL came from the same tree: the blues! It's ALL the blues. What is rock? Heavy blues. What is soul? The blues sung church-style.
    Last edited by soulster; 04-19-2015 at 01:41 PM.

Because I know the producers!! However I think this has ran it's course. I don't think it was a soul album. You do, but we both agree it was a landmark album so let us leave it at that.

Because I know the producers!! However I think this has ran it's course. I don't think it was a soul album. You do, but we both agree it was a landmark album so let us leave it at that.
    Well, they aren't R&B producers, but I really hate categorization anyway. Some artists are just uncategorizable.

I don't think Tina would ever want to be categorized and why would she when she is so versatile? Now I am off to play my expanded Private Dancer cd to see if it is worth buying this even more expanded edition!