[REMOVE ADS]

Susaye Green and High Ingergy

When Susaye joined the Supremes who made the decision that she should sing the title song on the album. Was it Mary, Pedro, Berry or someone else ?

sorry for the misspelling in the title.
    Last edited by captainjames; 04-15-2015 at 08:39 PM.

Somebody who had the best interest of the group at heart. And I bet it threw a scare into a couple others too

"High Energy" was originally recorded with Scherrie on lead. Scherrie has said she remembers Cindy recording a lead vocal on the song too. It's quite possible when Susaye joined the group the Holland Brothers recorded her two vocal takes over Scherrie's and Cindy's tracks. That may be the reason why their vocals weren't found for the Final Sessions.

As much as I would have loved to hear Scherrie's and Cindy's take on the song, Susaye seemed destined for that song. Her voice fit like a glove.

I thought George or Andy posted that Cindy,Scherrie and Freda Payne were all at Scherrie 's house in 1978 and for fun started singing and thats when Cindy did High Energy lead.. on some sort of recorder. I know I read that somewhere but maybe it wasn't George or Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I thought George or Andy posted that Cindy,Scherrie and Freda Payne were all at Scherrie 's house in 1978 and for fun started singing and thats when Cindy did High Energy lead.. on some sort of recorder. I know I read that somewhere but maybe it wasn't George or Andy.
    Luke I read that too. I believe Cindy and Scherrie both may have recorded leads for the song but got erased when Susaye recorded her lead. It would nice if a professional recorded lead could be found by Cindy & Scherrie.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    luke, I could've sworn I saw this recently on YouTube; damned if I can find it now!

Ok thanks everyone but does anyone know [[perhaps Susaye has the answer) who made the final decision that we need Susaye on that lead. Personally I thought BAM !!!! here is this lady, new to the group, small powerhouse and she gets a solo and it the title of the album !!! It had been mentioned that Berry had washed his hands of the group and then I heard he made the decision to give her the lead.

That is an interesting question. One which adds to the Mystery of Motown Magic, I think.
    Susaye Greene, with an "e" on the end.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastsupreme View Post
    That is an interesting question. One which adds to the Mystery of Motown Magic, I think.
    Oh, Miss Greene, you're teasing us!

We would love it if Ms. Greene with an "e" told us what she "thinks" is the answer!

It would probably be a much sounder based opinion than ours!

But we appreciate she might want to reserve that opinion to herself!

"High Energy" is my all time favorite Supremes song, of any lineup, bar none. The production is flawless and the arrangement is really wonderful. What a fantastic, uplifting song.

Susaye also sings lead on another of my top favorites, "Come Into My Life," which to me has a very George Clinton/Parlet type vibe to it, unlike anything else the Supremes ever sang. It's a beautiful, haunting melody which creates a very hypnotic atmosphere through the music.

I think it safe to say that any song Susaye sings you almost can't imagine anyone else doing it justice. The MSS lineup will always be my favorite.

Thanks Ms. Greene
    I just had to propose the question as I follow the Magic of Motown. It gives me chills as I read one thing and see how the two just don't jive.

That is an interesting question. One which adds to the Mystery of Motown Magic, I think. Susaye Greene, with an "e" on the end.
    So funny that this thread is posted. Just this morning on the way into work, I couldn't decide what to put on my mp3 player. I decided on High Energy [[album) and I got lost in all that music yet again. The song choices on that record were more adult than we heard from the first Scherrie led lp and the arrangements really worked with the vocals. I always loved and still love that recording. Even more so is Mary, Scherrie & Susaye. That recording blew me away then and still does now. I don't really care how it sold because for me it is one of my top Supremes discs. The Supremes seemed to be heading in such a new direction that I was always sad that was the last lp. I wanted more. But then, I am sometimes greedy. [[Still so thankful for Partners!)

Well we did get more ,,, we got "Mary...Scherrie and Susaye". High Energy was the first of the last two that included Susaye.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    So funny that this thread is posted. Just this morning on the way into work, I couldn't decide what to put on my mp3 player. I decided on High Energy [[album) and I got lost in all that music yet again. The song choices on that record were more adult than we heard from the first Scherrie led lp and the arrangements really worked with the vocals. I always loved and still love that recording. Even more so is Mary, Scherrie & Susaye. That recording blew me away then and still does now. I don't really care how it sold because for me it is one of my top Supremes discs. The Supremes seemed to be heading in such a new direction that I was always sad that was the last lp. I wanted more. But then, I am sometimes greedy. [[Still so thankful for Partners!)

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Well we did get more ,,, we got "Mary...Scherrie and Susaye". High Energy was the first of the last two that included Susaye.
    He mentioned that in his post, that the MSS recording was actually his favorite. He meant the LP, not the MSS lineup itself [[as I was referring to in my post).

i'm guessing that Susaye recorded over the Scherrie track. there's a little bit of Scherrie in one of the unreleased version in the Let Yourself Go set where, towards the end, Scherrie does a few "high, high, high, high, hiiiiigh. high energy." i thought i remember somewhere that Andy said that might be a little of what remains of the Scherrie lead

High Energy is on the top of the finest Supremes recordings. Totally flawless- beginning to end. I swear there was a Cindy recording out there. Marv isn't that right?

This quote is from George Solomon on 1/10/2015

George Solomon

"Hi everyone, There has been lots of talk about the unreleased Cindy leads from the High Energy LP. I'm not sure if this has been pointed out before but there are no High Energy "demos" with Cindy singing lead. The songs with Cindy singing lead were recorded just for fun in J. Randy Taraborrelli's living room on a Karaoke type machine in 1978. They were just fooling around. The "High Energy" posted above is obviously several generations down and is very sped up. Cindy took the tapes because she didn't want them to circulate but somehow I guess some of them got out. That's Scherrie and Freda Payne singing background. They had some of the instrumental tracks from "High Energy". Scherrie and Freda also recorded songs that night. Again - it was just some pasta and meatballs and singing some songs for fun!"

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...ighlight=massa
    Last edited by skooldem1; 04-17-2015 at 11:40 PM.

Thanks George,now they can put this to rest,i'v been telling people for years,Cindy didn't record a lead on the High Energy album.

Now if we can just discover that Motown Mystery on who made the decision to have Susaye Greene record "High Energy" instead of Scherrie Payne. It was a wonderful surprise !!!!