[REMOVE ADS]

Bill Withers - New Rolling Stone Article

Great article and good to see that Bill is doing well.

I met Bill WIthers last year at Ray Parkers Walk Of Fame Ceremony. He was a speaker at the ceremony, but when he and his wife came into the VIP area and sat down right next to my girlfriend, I didn't even realize who he was throughout the ceremony until he was called up to speak ...Spoke with him afterwords and he graciously posed for a picture with her. So unassuming in a dark suit and tie, could have been anyone. Very class act...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 04-15-2015 at 11:59 AM.

You know, people say low-key, quiet people are "class acts", but that is just the way they are. They aren't trying to impress anyone. Mr. Withers has always been someone who just goes about their business.

The documentary from 2011 is well worth a watch as well -

It's too bad his experience with Columbia Records soured him on the record industry, although I can't say I blame him. Too bad he didn't sign with Elektra in 1975. Patrice Rushen did, and things turned out a bit better for her.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    It's too bad his experience with Columbia Records soured him on the record industry, although I can't say I blame him. Too bad he didn't sign with Elektra in 1975. Patrice Rushen did, and things turned out a bit better for her.
    Yes, absolutely! But I do admire Mr. Withers; he could probably go the Clive Davis schlock covers route and make a bundle, but he refuses to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    ... he could probably go the Clive Davis schlock covers route and make a bundle, but he refuses to do so.
    I wouldn't want him to, and he wouldn't, anyway. Mr. Withers isn't going to start taking orders from anyone. He's a songwriter, and he's going to do his own songs, and his fans wouldn't have it any other way. But, he knows that if he ever released another album, he could do it all on his own like Ray Parker Jr. did.

Thanks for posting the link to that article, nice read. Though I often wish he had looked at
    collaborating with some of the artists who he was a great influence to in the last 25 or so years
    I respect his decisions and I'm glad he didn't go the route of some our greats who got lost.
    Gil Scott Heron comes to mind....

Congratulations to Bill Withers on his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!