[REMOVE ADS]

Lesley Gore's Motown album

Lesley Gore released her first post-Mercury Records album on Motown in 1972. It wasn't a commercial success probably due to it being quite a melancholic album - an unexpected departure compared with the peppy material of her 60s heyday. It has an over-arching theme through the journey of a relationship, but quite under rated I think. Perhaps it will finally get a CD release now, along with the following album "Love Me By Name" which reunited her with Quincy Jones.

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=3795349
    Last edited by markdtiller; 04-14-2015 at 06:18 PM.

It had one good song at least - She Said That. Not so sure beyond that.

Yeah, Lesley's Mowest album was a total departure from her familiar and popular girl-group sound. Frankly, I wasn't crazy about it at the time. I was glad to have bought it, though, as it was Lesley AND it was Motown. Personally, I loved two of the tracks -- "She Said That" and "The Road I Walk" which, it turns out, were the A-side and B-side of the single. Still, I would love the opportunity to have "Someplace Else Now" on CD. I'm finding that, as I've grown older, I've developed an appreciation for music that I didn't particularly care for when I was younger. I want to like this album overall, and it would be great to get this super cover photo.of Lesley back into my CD collection where it belongs.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 04-15-2015 at 12:00 AM.

I've never heard anything from this project but am sufficiently intrigued to want to hear it.
    a cd release would be most welcome. though unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I've never heard anything from this project but am sufficiently intrigued to want to hear it.
    a cd release would be most welcome. though unlikely.
    Well, never say never; I would think that her passing would make such a release even more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yeah, Lesley's Mowest album was a total departure from her familiar and popular girl-group sound. Frankly, I wasn't crazy about it at the time. I was glad to have bought it, though, as it was Lesley AND it was Motown. Personally, I loved two of the tracks -- "She Said That" and "The Road I Walk" which, it turns out, were the A-side and B-side of the single. Still, I would love the opportunity to have "Someplace Else Now" on CD. I'm finding that, as I've grown older, I've developed an appreciation for music that I didn't particularly care for when I was younger. I want to like this album overall, and it would be great to get this super cover photo.of Lesley back into my CD collection where it belongs.
    Gary, I'm with you. Many albums that didn't resonate with me when I was younger, really hit home now that I've grown. That's one of the reasons I never give music away if I don't care for it. One day, it may mean something to me. Motown music spoke to me when I was young and carries even more weight now that I'm older. Many of the lyrics resonate differently for different ages.

I would certainly purchase a CD release of this album [[but not at all interested in buying a download version).

I hear ya, mysterysinger. As much as I prefer a professional release on CD, I'll probably break down and buy the download, simply because, at this point, it's better than nothing. BUT -- and it's a huge but -- ONLY if it's available on Amazon. I'm through wasting precious time and money on itunes. Too many folks have had problems with the downloads dropping out half-way through the songs. And, from my own personal experience, when Diana's "Baby It's Me" [[Expanded) was first available on itunes only, I downloaded it but couldn't get the damned thing to burn to CD to save me. After Universal finally made it available on Amazon, I had to turn around and re-purchase it. Amazon's version, however, downloaded and burnt to CD beautifully with no problem. I'm probably worrying all for nothing. After Universal forks out their $11-plus million for lawsuit royalties, we'll be lucky if they release ANY future Motown downloads anywhere!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 04-16-2015 at 12:25 AM.