[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves and her sisters in Provincetown April 18 & 19

Just heard about this:

http://www.payomet.org/event/martha-reeves-vandellas

Midnight Johnny were you keeping this a secret?! lol

I'll be on the Cape this weekend - maybe I'll drive up to Ptown to see the show.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Just heard about this:

http://www.payomet.org/event/martha-reeves-vandellas

Midnight Johnny were you keeping this a secret?! lol

I'll be on the Cape this weekend - maybe I'll drive up to Ptown to see the show.
    You are in for a real nice time johnjob the First Lady of Motown Records puts on the best show of any motown artist working today and shes real gracious and lovely to her fans. Please tell her Roberta from Panorama City California says hello.

Yours, with every goodWish.

Roberta

I would LOVE to see this show but just cannot swing it. It has been nearly 20 years since I last visited Provincetown, so can someone refresh my memory on this town hall? I just don't recall anything there big enough to host any kind of concert.

if I was there John, I'd come along with ya.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    if I was there John, I'd come along with ya.
    Well, John, and Roberta, you both missed a great show. The best I have ever seen her.

I decided to go to the show since I am on the Cape this weekend and crossed my fingers that it would be money and time well spent. I was someone who felt she should have retired years ago, but now I can say I was totally wrong.

She sang about 10 of her songs, basically Memories through Jmmy Mack, and about 6 other songs. It was a two hour non-stop party. I don't know how she does it at 73 years of age.

If anyone is in the vicinity of Cape Cod then I strongly recommend a trip to Ptown Sunday night to witness this exciting performance by Martha and her sisters, Lois and Delphine.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 04-19-2015 at 10:58 PM. Reason: spelling

One site says they are performing in Truro. ??

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    One site says they are performing in Truro. ??
    The organization that is sponsoring the show has a summer theater tent in North Truro. This show is the season opener but it's too early for an outdoor concert. It was a brisk 45 degrees last night - the only Heatwave was confined to the Town Hall auditorium!

Well, John, and Roberta, you both missed a great show. The best I have ever seen her.

I decided to go to the show since I am on the Cape this weekend and crossed my fingers that it would be money and time well spent. I was someone who felt she should have retired years ago, but now I can say I was totally wrong.

She sang about 10 of her songs, basically Memories through Jmmy Mack, and about 6 other songs. It was a two hour non-stop party. I don't know how she does it at 73 years of age.

If anyone is in the vicinity of Cape Cod then I strongly recommend a trip to Ptown Sunday night to witness this exciting performance by Martha and he sisters, Lois and Delphine.
    I knew it i knew it i knew it johnjeb. Theres nobody out there today that can touch the First Lady of Motown Records Dr martha Reeves. Shes the best and im glad You had a greart time.

Thank you for sharing dear.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

If anyone is in the vicinity of Cape Cod then I strongly recommend a trip to Ptown Sunday night to witness this exciting performance by Martha and he sisters, Lois and Delphine.
    I told you that a Martha concert is an experience not to be missed. She always puts on a great show. I love going to see her.

John

She's back in London again soon. She loves coming here and we love her coming.

John

She's back in London again soon. She loves coming here and we love her coming.
    Miss Martha Reeves should be on that tour of the UK instead of them phony Drifters.

Roberta

Cape Cod Times review of concert:

http://www.capecodtimes.com/article/...0419366/101083

Damn, I meant to pick up a paper on Sunday before I left the Cape - too busy raking leaves, I guess. I'm glad they reviewed the concert.

Thanks for posting that review, Johnjeb. Very enjoyable reading. Glad you enjoyed yourself at the show, too. Martha's magic is still so strong. I would have loved to have seen the show myself, and see and hear Lois and Delphine with Martha.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 04-19-2015 at 10:55 PM.

I told you that a Martha concert is an experience not to be missed. She always puts on a great show. I love going to see her.
    Well, John, I wasn't sure what to expect. Seeing some of the youtube performances in recent years I was hesitant to go but my love of her and her music helped my decision. I think her Lost & Found collection is by far the best of all the Hip-O releases.

I've seen her a few times and only once was I disappointed.

In the 70s I saw her solo when she was promoting the Richard Perry album. It was a small nightclub [[Paul's Mall) on opening night on a weeknight and attendance was very small. Vocally she was good but it was not a "show". We did stay for both performances. Hopefully she had better audiences for subsequent shows.

I also saw the Dancing In The Streets show [[The Channel) with David, Eddie and Mary Wells. They were all good.

In the late 80s I saw her at a concert hall [[Berklee College of Music Perfomance Center) with her sisters, as opening act for The Four Tops. I think this was the performance I didn't like.

A few years later I saw her with Roz and Annette at another small dinner theater [[Kowloon). She was very good, as were the Vandellas.

Last night in Ptown [[Town Hall) was the best - so glad I went. We found out quite by accident and got the last 2 general admission seats [[so they say - but we were able to later upgrade to VIP Row 2!). I always seem to learn of her appearances either at the last minute or after-the-fact.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 04-19-2015 at 10:58 PM. Reason: spelling

johnjeb....I did get to go see the Vandellas....and so glad I did! As I was sitting in the audience, a little concerned about how it would be, a few folks who volunteered for Payomet talked of the Saturday Night show being absolutely terrific. A great 8 piece band...magnificent pianist, drummer, rhythm and bass guitars tenor and bass saxes, trombone and trumpet...all were great and used to full advantage for the songs that the Vandellas performed. Martha was so comfortable and in command. Her voice showed some of the limitations she's developed over the years, but the more important thing was that she was in great control of her voice as it is, and she did things with that voice that were pretty astounding The audience was loving her...her anecdotes...her humor...her total loyalty and pride with being a part of Motown. She was very down to earth and personal with the audience....and she was VERY funny....and FUN...often very tongue in cheek! 95% of the songs were full versions, which I truly appreciated. Delphine and Lois were absolutely great, and truly provided great voices to back Martha. And they moved beautifully. I've always loved Lois...but she literally knocked my socks off....I had a hard time watching anything else. Lois' hair was sort of a Cleopatra-type style...long with bangs....quite WOOOF! A list of the songs...mostly in order...maybe forgetting one or three........Opening with "Quicksand", "Heatwave", "Come and get These Memories". She spoke about the '68 Copa gig [[unreleased that I played on the show this past Tuesday) and they went into "Boy From Ipanema/Call Me", "Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things", "My Baby Loves Me" [[she said her favorite song), "Jimmy Mack", the Beatles' "Something" and "I Want you Back" [[both from "Black Magic" which she mentioned), Marvin's "What's Going On", "I Can't help Myself", "Signed Sealed Delivered"...I'm forgetting a couple. But it was a show not to be missed....and I am so very glad I didn't.
    Last edited by midnight johnny; 04-19-2015 at 10:36 PM.

midnight johnny....I'm so glad you went, especially having her right in your backyard!

Sounds like your show had a few different songs than the show I saw.

They opened with Heatwave...and, in no particular order that I can recall, they followed with Ready For Love...Memories...Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)...Nowhere To Run...A Love Like Yours [[Don't Come Knocking Everyday)...Jimmy Mack...My Baby Loves Me...God Bless The Child...What's Going On...I want You Back...and the other songs listed in the review and the medleys you mentioned, and of course Dancing In The Streets.

Did you all meet her afterwards where she freely talks to you and signs autographs. You can ask her anything and she will answer as best she can.

Love her..wish I was there with you guys.