[REMOVE ADS]

Engineer Milan Bogdan passes

A couple of weeks back I received a call from Fred Saxon informing me Milan had suffered a stroke and was in the hospital. He seemed to be making improvement but eventually suffered another stroke and died.

Milan was my head engineer at Tera Shirma and they didn't come any better.
    He designed the main console for Studio B and it got installed with the help of Russ Terrana, Les Chasey, Ed Wolfrom and Ken Sands. Talk about a talented group of engineers.

I hadn't spoken with Milan in years but followed his many successes since his Tera Shirma days. He will be missed. Rest in peace, Milan Bogdan.

Aw man Ralph. I am very sorry to hear this. Where was he living? Condolences to all his family and friends.

Marv

I found this picture of Milan :

Attachment 9341

Hi Ralph. I am so sorry to hear this. I used Milan to master one of my CD's six months ago. He also mastered my grandson's CD a few years ago. One day back at Tera Shirma Milan asked me to help him produce a group there. That was how I got started as a producer. When I was thinking of moving to Nashville with Bob Babbitt in the early 80s, Milan offered me the use of a space and telephones in his mastering lab. He recorded "Scorpio". He was a fantastic sound engineer and a nice man. My condolences to his family.

Hi Dennis,
    I didn't know that that was how you started producing. Do you remember the name of the group?

Thanks for posting the pic, Marv. Here are a couple more.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks to Fred Saxon for the above pictures. The top picture is Milan at the newly installed Tera Shirma Studio B console.

The control room picture is Fred and Milan during a Southbound Freeway session which a writer from the Detroit News was present in the studio that day to do a story on the band.
    Last edited by ralpht; 04-13-2015 at 09:12 PM.

I am sorry to hear this, He did some amazing work

I just noticed this discussion here on Soulful Detroit about my cousin Milan's passing. With me being the youngest and Milan being the oldest, there is an obvious split in our ages. One of the last times I saw him while he still lived in Detroit was when he took our family over to GM Studios on a Saturday to give us a tour of the studio. While I didn't recognize the music at the time, he said that the demo tune he was using to show us the entire process [[all the way from mixing down from the multitrack, to cutting me a souvenir lacquer master) was one that they had predicted would be "a million seller," as he put it. I don't think it sold a million, but it was Gallery's tune "Nice To Be With You" which most have heard of.

He would soon move on and keep in touch every so often, sending me a batch of pro audio magazines to look through [[I have a feeling he was gently nudging me towards being an engineer), or inviting us to the KC & The Sunshine Band gig at Pine Knob back around 1980 or so while he was in town when the band was on tour. It seemed success followed him wherever he went. I still have one of his Ampex "Gold Reel" awards that he gave my father many years ago.

There are two good articles at Mix Online. The first captures the vibe around KC's hit "That's The Way I Like It," and the other is a nice career overview.

http://www.mixonline.com/news/profil...ay-i-it/375403

http://www.mixonline.com/news/profil...-bogdan/373663

And finally, the funeral home has a nice twelve minute video tribute to Milan, showing many of those he worked with during his time in Nashville, along with some family photos:

https://www.coleandgarrett.com/obit/...george-bogdan/

He is definitely missed!

RIP Milan Bogdan and thank you for the music

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  21.1 KB
    Sorry to hear this. I liked his work a lot.