[REMOVE ADS]

Cool Diana Ross Greatly Admired By Singer Carol Douglas

In James Arena’s book, "First Ladies Of Disco", in which 32 stars discuss the era and their singing careers, singer Carol Douglas has no qualms about revealing her favorite singer.

According to the author, "Carol has no hesitation identifying the song she’d like to have been given a shot at and the singer who she admired most back in the day. "I would have loved to sing Diana Ross’ "Love Hangover", says Carol. "I finally got a chance to meet her at a birthday party for Burt Reynolds at Studio 54, and she had a beautiful red satin kind of cowboy outfit on with fringe. She was sitting there and these two guys were fanning her, and she looked over at me and said, "You! I want you to come over here and sit with me!" It was unbelievable. My idol was asking me to sit with her. I grabbed her hand and said, ‘I just love you.’ She said she loved "Doctor’s Orders". I was so nervous, I said, "Do You Want It? You can have it! – like I was giving the song away. It was so funny! The next day in the press, they showed her picture with my name under it!"

Cool book! Neat story! I love behind-the-scenes stories regarding our beloved recording artists – especially when they make ya feel good like this one does!

http://www.amazon.com/First-Ladies-D...mes+arena+book

Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 04-12-2015 at 02:07 AM.

This looks like an excellent read. I always loved Carol Douglas and thought she should have had a longer career. Great story Phillies/Motown Gary and thank you for guiding me in the right direction.

You’re very welcome, Bluebrock. Glad I was of help to you. The entire book, of which each of the 32 chapters is devoted to an individual disco diva, is an excellent read and lots of fun to rummage through. So far, all of the autobiographical interviews have been very "up" and positive. In fact, each of the disco artists are still performing, and they’re all proud to have been a crucial part of such an influential musical era as Disco [[which, BTW, is still very much alive and well). I’ve finished about half the book, while trying to complete one chapter each night or two. Upon finishing each chapter, I’m finding it fun to bounce around, reading whichever artist/chapter I’m in the mood for at the time until the entire book has been read.

You may also be interested in James Arena’s companion book, "First Legends Of Disco" where he interviews not only recording artists, but record producers as well.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Legends-...o+legends+book

I will be checking both out. Thank you again my friend.

Have you all seen this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I will be checking both out. Thank you again my friend.
    You bet, Buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Have you all seen this?
    Yes, I have, Mary. I had forgotten all about it. Divas in court! What will they come up with next!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yes, I have, Mary. I had forgotten all about it. Divas in court! What will they come up with next!
    Such a sad state of affairs that these "divas" are battling it out [[in public) for $3000.00. I suppose if well-known legends like Flo Ballard fell on hard times, there's no exception.

I hope Carol Douglas rebounded a bit; I seem to recall her being included in one of TJ's "PBS" specials.

Here's a great website on "The First Ladies of Disco" which, I swear, go by the "FLODs".

http://firstladiesofdiscoshow.com/

Here's a great website on "The First Ladies of Disco" which, I swear, go by the "FLODs".

http://firstladiesofdiscoshow.com/
    Yes, indeed! Great website! Linda Clifford looks sensational!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yes, indeed! Great website! Linda Clifford looks sensational!
    In fact they all do! I hear "Runaway Love" every now and again and it's one of those records that sounds [[to me) even better now than at the time - ditto Ms. Clifford's singing. I wish this venture the best of luck.

Such a sad state of affairs that these "divas" are battling it out [[in public) for $3000.00. I suppose if well-known legends like Flo Ballard fell on hard times, there's no exception.

I hope Carol Douglas rebounded a bit; I seem to recall her being included in one of TJ's "PBS" specials.
    True, and I wish them success as well - but of course nothing in life is guaranteed, and ultimately a great voice and a few hit singles does not [[unfortunately) mean a lifelong income.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    In fact they all do! I hear "Runaway Love" every now and again and it's one of those records that sounds [[to me) even better now than at the time - ditto Ms. Clifford's singing. I wish this venture the best of luck.
    Robert, Linda’s "Shoot Your Best Shot" and the long version of her super-charged "Bridge Over Troubled Water" have always been my favorites.

So very cool to realize that Miss Ross and I share similar musical tastes! in a recent post here we learned she told Daryl Hall she is one of his biggest fans..... now we learn she was a big fan of Carol Douglas' "Doctors Orders". Ditto for me on both !!