[REMOVE ADS]

The Temptations - I'm Gonna Make You Love Me Live 2015

OK I guess but they are no Eddie n Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    OK I guess but they are no Eddie n Diana.
    Ron Tyson has been, and still is a Temptation constantly and consecutively since 1983 - thirty-two years. Yes, he is more in the "Treat Her Like A Lady" and "Stay" age than the more pop culturally known "The Way You Do The Things You Do" and "Just My Imagination" age, but as the third longest staying Temptation, second by surpassing Melvin Franklin if he stays long enough, by gonnit, that man deserves respect.

supremester Guest
    Yeeeech..... I'm happy he's been successful and long lasting but this sounds horrendous to me. Go see Dennis' group - hurr-ay, hurr-ay.............

I've never been a fan of ron live,he's better in the studio..and yes i've seen him live.

All of these old guys and gals deserve our respect for continuing to work at what has provided their livelihoods.

Ron Tyson sounds reasonable enough to me. He is likely doing very much better than Dionne Warwick and Martha Reeves.

The issue for all of these people at they get into their 70's and beyond is "how much is enough? is there a risk of tarnishing the image and reputation?"

I was at a Gordon Lightfoot concert 2 or 3 years ago; some people left early on. It was very clear that his voice has had a toll taken on it by how he has lived. On the other hand, the concert was still enjoyable.

It is something each of those artists has to weigh.

Kudos for still doing it! Ron looks just like the late Actor Sherman Hemsley of the Jeffersons TV show

How fun that they've added this to their set list. I guess it's sometimes hard to remember that "Gonna Make You" charted higher than Temptations classics such as "Get Ready" and "Ain't Too Proud to Beg".

supremester Guest
    I'm glad Ron is still able to work but question the inclusion of this song that, at least to me, is awful sounding.
    @Mary - I too find it amazing that those two charted as low as they did - especially Get Ready - I love that record.

I was surprised that Don't Look Back and Take A Look Around didn't chart higher.

supremester Guest
    Don't look Back has, since day 1, been among my fave Motown singles ever. I LOVED Paul. His voice wasn't very commercial - especially for 1965, but I think had it been played more, it might have hit. It was the B Side to My Baby - so sales were already spent on the mediocre [[IMHO) A side, which hurt it's chart potential. Eddie Holland was tapped to remix both sides just after it's release and the new mix of DLB was clearly much more radio friendly for pop stations. Paul's voice was a little rough, I feel, for 1965. 2 years later, thighs would be way different. Paul Williams JR does an amazing job on the song in Dennis' superb Temptations Revue.

Quote Originally Posted by soulballad View Post
    Kudos for still doing it! Ron looks just like the late Actor Sherman Hemsley of the Jeffersons TV show
    soulballad, you better get out of my head!!! I've thought so for years.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    soulballad, you better get out of my head!!! I've thought so for years.
    He absolutely does!!

I don't understand why Diana doesn't embrace this #1 record. It was the perfect blending of Motown/Philly. And for all intends and purposes this was also a #1 record....it's only negative was being released that incredibly hot week in November-December 1968 when Motown was sooooo hot that they owned 5 of the Top 10 singles, a record that no label I believe has yet to break. I think this went to #1 on either Record World or Cashbox.
    This version is especially weak on the chorus and the ad libs.
    But at least they are embracing a smash record. [[Had it been recorded/performed on "T.C.B.", it would have been an even bigger smash!)

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    All of these old guys and gals deserve our respect for continuing to work at what has provided their livelihoods.

Ron Tyson sounds reasonable enough to me. He is likely doing very much better than Dionne Warwick and Martha Reeves.

The issue for all of these people at they get into their 70's and beyond is "how much is enough? is there a risk of tarnishing the image and reputation?"

I was at a Gordon Lightfoot concert 2 or 3 years ago; some people left early on. It was very clear that his voice has had a toll taken on it by how he has lived. On the other hand, the concert was still enjoyable.

It is something each of those artists has to weigh.
    I so much agree. I mostly feel bad for less fanatic fans who may not follow "the blogs" as closely as we do and pay for tickets to end up being dissappointed. It's such an individual thing, for both the performer and the audience member. I have a friend who ceased seeing Liza Minnelli in the early 80's because "she lost her voice" - this was during Liza's glory years, blazing through 3 sold-out weeks at Carnegie Hall. And I have other friends who still clamor to see Ms. Minnelli, even though [[to me) the voice now is totally shot. Anne Murray [[yes, I know I'm out of realm here!) chose to retire several years ago; she wanted to be remembered at her best. Then again, Marianne Faithful completely reinvented her career with a "destroyed" voice 30 years ago, and the all-time favorite Billie Holiday LP is "Lady In Satin" - so, who can really, ultimately say?

"I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" was number one in BOTH Cashbox and Record World. I've always considered it the 13th #1 but most sources only count the Billboard #1's.

Does anyone know what record kept "IGMYLM" from reaching the Billboard #1 spot?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Does anyone know what record kept "IGMYLM" from reaching the Billboard #1 spot?
    I'm not sure. But I think I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE by Marvin Gaye had a long run at #1 during this period.

It was I Heard It Though The Grapevine in early 1969