[REMOVE ADS]

Exclamation RARE! RARE! RARE! The Supremes dancing in 1966!!!

Hi Guys!

Check out this rare video, of The Supremes dancing in 1966

This of course was a video with more than 2 seconds, I don't know if the full video exists and who have it... I would like to know more info about this, this is really new to me...
    Last edited by Weslley Francisco; 04-06-2015 at 02:37 PM.

I found it without audio I guess that it was a video clip of them singing: My World Is Empty Without You or Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart, but i don't have sure...

That sure leaves you hungering for more!

Weslley, I’m not sure if you’re aware of this, but, back in the 1980's, there was a half-hour TV show on PBS [[or a PBS-type show) from Hollywood, CA, called "The Black Stage" with host Julius Johnsen. There were two episodes that I remember seeing: one featured Scherrie Payne performing some of her solo Motown recordings, and the other was the 1970's Supremes [[Mary, Scherrie, & Susaye) performing "I’m Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking" along with some of their other Motown tracks which I don’t remember off-hand. In The Supremes’ episode, when they performed "I’m Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking", the girls were standing behind a white screen with only their silhouettes showing [[just like Diana Ross & The Supremes’ performance of "Back In My Arms Again"). Although lip-synced, it was a hot visual worth searching for. I searched for it online, but I couldn’t find it available. Scherrie’s, however, is available below:

SCHERRIE PAYNE [[submitted by MOTOWNJIM37):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip5ivn3_Ugo

- Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 04-07-2015 at 05:19 PM.

That was taken from a music show in Canada. Vancouver, BC

I'm 100% certain the the footage of The Supremes dancing was filmed in Vancouver, B.C., Canada by the local CBC affiliate. The group were in town at the Cave supper club and this footage was to promote their dates there. I believe that the booklet of the expanded "I Hear A Symphony" has a colour still of Mary, Diana & Florence in Stanley Park posing in front of some Totem Poles, wearing the exact outfits seen in this brief clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    I'm 100% certain the the footage of The Supremes dancing was filmed in Vancouver, B.C., Canada by the local CBC affiliate. The group were in town at the Cave supper club and this footage was to promote their dates there. I believe that the booklet of the expanded "I Hear A Symphony" has a colour still of Mary, Diana & Florence in Stanley Park posing in front of some Totem Poles, wearing the exact outfits seen in this brief clip.
    Thank you Mark for the confirmation!

Marv2, wouldn't it be great if the CBC kept this footage and it is available to view upon request at their broadcast facility? I will call their switchboard tomorrow and find out if that is possible.

Marv2, wouldn't it be great if the CBC kept this footage and it is available to view upon request at their broadcast facility? I will call their switchboard tomorrow and find out if that is possible.
    Oh that would be excellent. By the way, I grew up watching the CBC and even watch the National online!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    That sure leaves you hungering for more!

Weslley, I’m not sure if you’re aware of this, but, back in the 1980's, there was a half-hour TV show on PBS [[or a PBS-type show) from Hollywood, CA, called "The Black Stage" with host Julius Johnsen. There were two episodes that I remember seeing: one featured Scherrie Payne performing some of her solo Motown recordings, and the other was the 1970's Supremes [[Mary, Scherrie, & Susaye) performing "I’m Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking" along with some of their other Motown tracks which I don’t remember off-hand. In The Supremes’ episode, when they performed "I’m Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking", the girls were standing behind a white screen with only their silhouettes showing [[just like Diana Ross & The Supremes’ performance of "Back In My Arms Again"). Although lip-synced, it was a hot visual worth searching for. I searched for it online, but I couldn’t find it available. Scherrie’s, however, is available below:

SCHERRIE PAYNE [[submitted by MOTOWNJIM37):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip5ivn3_Ugo

- Gary
    What a great find; thanks for sharing! That "canned" applause is a bit over the top though, don't you think? LOL. makes it sound as though the studio was filled with thousands!

How interesting to see Scherrie lip sync to "IGLMHDTW". I kept looking for Mary and Susaye!

Speaking of.....what year was this? The late 70s? Wouldn't Scherrie have been promoting "Partners" with Susaye? I wonder where she was?

This would be great!! I would love to see the full footage

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    What a great find; thanks for sharing! That "canned" applause is a bit over the top though, don't you think? LOL. makes it sound as though the studio was filled with thousands!

How interesting to see Scherrie lip sync to "IGLMHDTW". I kept looking for Mary and Susaye!

Speaking of.....what year was this? The late 70s? Wouldn't Scherrie have been promoting "Partners" with Susaye? I wonder where she was?
    You're welcome, Mary. Yeah, that phony applause is annoying as all get-out -- especially the way it drones on and on, way into the song! A couple friends who I used to know, who are personal friends of Mary, Scherrie, and Cindy, told me that, according to Scherrie, there is NO audience at all. The artists on The Black Stage perform their songs to an empty room.

You're so right -- it seems strange to see Scherrie performing "IGLMHDTW" without Mary and Susaye. I really wish that I could have included The Supremes' [[MSS) Black Stage performance with the silhouetted white screen. It was pretty impressive!

And, finally, Scherrie also performed her solo Altair Records dance hit "I'm Not In Love/Girl You Know You're In Love" on the Black Stage. I was surprised it wasn't included in the above video segment. She must have appeared on another Black Stage episode.

The year? I think the Black Stage ran from the late 1970's through at least 1982. I looked it up in Wikipedia but there was nothing -- most likely because, as Marv said, the show came from Canada [[although I had thought it was fimed in Hollywood). - Gary.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 04-09-2015 at 12:42 AM.