[REMOVE ADS]

The Motown Collection; Chris, Velvelettes and KIM question?

I am trying to fill in a few gaps in my music, and one thing I'm missing is "The Motown Collection" from Kim Weston. I have the Velvelettes [[pictured in pink) and Chris Clark [[pictured in green), but does anyone know what Kim's set looks like? I'm not quite sure what I am looking for. There IS a Kim Weston "Motown ANTHOLOGY" set that's black and white, but I would think her set would be similar in style to the other two. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? Thank you.

Name:  41Y1P9EFWKL.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  29.5 KB

Name:  41yNDI5HKLL.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  25.8 KB

Mary: I went into CD Imports and found a very similar item issued by Tamla Motown as follows:

http://astore.amazon.com/cd-imports-...ail/B000B8Q8HK

This is the one you want - it is a Motown Anthology as is the Velvelettes set. Do you also have the similar sets by Barbara McNair, Chuck Jackson, Bobby Taylor, Billy Eckstine, Jimmy Ruffin, Brenda Holloway and The Elgins?

Attachment 9309

RossHolloway Guest
    That was indeed a great series. There were also similar releases for Shorty Long, Mable John, Barrett Strong, the Isley Brothers, Tommy Good, the Monitors, Patrice Holloway, Eddie Holland and the Satintones.

These were the ones RossHolloway refers to from the UK/Spectrum issued series - the larger ones are double CD collections and the small ones single CDs. Those sets for Shorty Long, The Monitors, Patrice Holloway, Eddie Holland and The Satintones came later and form part of the Ace/Kent issued Motown CD collections and are not included on the picture below.
    Attachment 9312

[QUOTE=marybrewster;279130]I am trying to fill in a few gaps in my music, and one thing I'm missing is "The Motown Collection" from Kim Weston. I have the Velvelettes [[pictured in pink) and Chris Clark [[pictured in green), but does anyone know what Kim's set looks like? I'm not quite sure what I am looking for. There IS a Kim Weston "Motown ANTHOLOGY" set that's black and white, but I would think her set would be similar in style to the other two. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? Thank you.

The only 2 Kim Weston's that I've seen [[aside from a Millenium Collection) is the Anthology [[black & white cover pictured above) and the blue Greatest Hits & Rare Classics. I've never seen a checkered cover like Chris Clark or the Velvelettes.

Name:  kim-weston2.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  28.0 KB

I think the European release was this one:
    Name:  kim-weston1.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  16.9 KB

Thank you all for your comments and especially pictures; this truly helps to know what I am after!

The only 2 in the series I have are CC and The V.

It looks as though some might be a bit of a challenge to obtain; mainly Brenda Holloway. Why such the inflated price? These were based out of the UK, correct? I wonder who we can write to to see if they'd ever do a second pressing?

And yet the CD is "dead".

[QUOTE=marybrewster;279130]I am trying to fill in a few gaps in my music, and one thing I'm missing is "The Motown Collection" from Kim Weston. I have the Velvelettes [[pictured in pink) and Chris Clark [[pictured in green), but does anyone know what Kim's set looks like? I'm not quite sure what I am looking for. There IS a Kim Weston "Motown ANTHOLOGY" set that's black and white, but I would think her set would be similar in style to the other two. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? Thank you.[QUOTE]

Tremendous thanks are due to the U.K. team that gave us these wonderful releases.
    Like kids let loose in the candy store, they desired to immediately give us as much as they possibly could. Hence, the booklets were filled with photos [[many rare and previously unseen), new essays based in solid research, and complete track notations.
    One of the downsides was that, in order to fit in all that the teams wanted to present, the print was quite small and many of the photos as well. Coordinating with the cover colors, booklet typeset often made it difficult for more mature Motown's fans aging eyes to read.
    When the concept was rethought, subsequent releases corrected the elements that had presented some difficulties. Hence the difference in the cover and booklet of Kim's and others sets.
    In the era when ringtones gained popularity, the Isley Brothers set included a [[for want of a better term) solicitation page, thus leaving no room for the full track annotations to which those who purchased the set had become accustomed. At the time, Paul Nixon graciously posted the full information online.

One of the regrettable realities of life was that following the issue of these fine sets, the leadership of Motown U.K. changed..
    But thanks to the wonderful Keith Hughes and his team at Ace/Kent, we are receiving comparable [[usually) single disc sets of Motown's "wee folks" . If you haven't purchased this cd
    http://acerecords.co.uk/the-artistry...-motown-vaults
    it is well worth obtaining for the stereo version of Brenda's U.K. only compilation album coupled with 8 previously unreleased bonus tracks not found on her U.K. Anthology.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    These were the ones RossHolloway refers to from the UK/Spectrum issued series - the larger ones are double CD collections and the small ones single CDs. Those sets for Shorty Long, The Monitors, Patrice Holloway, Eddie Holland and The Satintones came later and form part of the Ace/Kent issued Motown CD collections and are not included on the picture below.
    Attachment 9312
    I have all of these except the Tommy Good collection and the one to the left of Barbara Randolph. I cannot tell what that collection is.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Thank you all for your comments and especially pictures; this truly helps to know what I am after!

The only 2 in the series I have are CC and The V.

It looks as though some might be a bit of a challenge to obtain; mainly Brenda Holloway. Why such the inflated price? These were based out of the UK, correct? I wonder who we can write to to see if they'd ever do a second pressing?

And yet the CD is "dead".
    The Brenda Holloway collection is simply out of print and collectors/sellers are demanding a hefty price! I think the collection may be up on iTunes, but I'm not 100% certain. The one lesson that I've learned from these releases [[and from Hippo-Select) is not to wait too long to buy them because they may sell out sooner than you might think. I've waited too long to buy This Is The Story and last week I saw a copy for $200!! I think when it was first released I was busy buying The Complete Motown Singles series and let it slip by. Lesson learned! Made the same mistake for the David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks solo collections volume 2!! UUUGGGHHH!!!!! I get upset just thinking about it again.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

It looks as though some might be a bit of a challenge to obtain; mainly Brenda Holloway. Why such the inflated price? .....
    Obviously Brenda is much more popular than U.K. Motown realized. The same holds true for the Jean Terrell years box set issued by Hip-O-Select in the U.S.
    About a month ago I saw a used copy of Brenda's Anthology for half the price the lowest priced Amazon seller is asking at another reliable website that usually features additional percentages off on used items. I just checked in at the site and that copy was obviously snatched up.
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 04-01-2015 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I have all of these except the Tommy Good collection and the one to the left of Barbara Randolph. I cannot tell what that collection is.
    R.Dean Taylor

Thommg. There is no Kim collection with a checkered cover - just the black & white one which is from the same series

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Thommg. There is no Kim collection with a checkered cover - just the black & white one which is from the same series
    That's what I assumed. Since these were not released in the US, I picked a few up on my trips to London and when I could find them in used record stores. I only have a few of them. Some of them pictured are ones I never even knew existed.

The Kent / Ace Motown series.......
    Attachment 9322

A question for Paul Nixon [[if one of our U.K. friends might alert him).....

http://motownforever.proboards.com/t...town-anthology

Was this the original listing? Or did someone piece together a listing from what selections they had heard were to be included on Brenda's Anthology?

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    A question for Paul Nixon [[if one of our U.K. friends might alert him).....

http://motownforever.proboards.com/t...town-anthology

Was this the original listing? Or did someone piece together a listing from what selections they had heard were to be included on Brenda's Anthology?
    You know - I've never understood where these leaks come from - looking back at my paperwork there was never a proposition to have the tracklist as posted on that fan site. I guess it's possible as the paperwork goes through scores of hands on it's way back and forth to the record company that somebody innocently mentioned some of the tracks that are destined for a project. I have always tried to keep fine details quiet on future CD's otherwise it's just so disappointing when tracks do not appear for one reason or another and somebody had spilled the beans .
    But as I say there was always the intention to have CD One and CD two virtually exactly as it finished up on the Brenda Anthology with the Every Little Bit Hurts LP followed by the unreleased Hurtin' and Cryin' album with CD Two containing the singles, the rare and the unreleased. That CD was the only one that changed along the way as some tracks fitted better on future projects such as Cellarful. I have campaigned with the UK branch of Universal to get this repressed but I don't think it has been - it maybe up on Itunes though again not sure, but worth a check if you missed out on it and you don't want to pay those exorbitant prices charged by online retailers.

In the era when ringtones gained popularity, the Isley Brothers set included a [[for want of a better term) solicitation page, thus leaving no room for the full track annotations to which those who purchased the set had become accustomed. At the time, Paul Nixon graciously posted the full information online.
    Is this information still online? If so, could you please provide a link?
    Last edited by calvin; 04-09-2015 at 10:58 PM.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...own-Recordings

Posts 27-30 make mention of Paul Nixon's kind posting, but post 29 has a link that includes the word 'if' from the next sentence. Removing the 'if' at the end of the link merely takes one to the website and not the Anthology annotations.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...own-Recordings

Posts 27-30 make mention of Paul Nixon's kind posting, but post 29 has a link that includes the word 'if' from the next sentence. Removing the 'if' at the end of the link merely takes one to the website and not the Anthology annotations.
    Thanks Carole... I guess I'm missing something, but if I click on that link including the "if", I get nothing. If I remove it, I just go to the main dftmc page, as you write.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Thanks Carole... I guess I'm missing something, but if I click on that link including the "if", I get nothing. If I remove it, I just go to the main dftmc page, as you write.
    Not sure if this will work here but let's have a go these are the original annotations prepared by team member Keith Hughes.

1.01 Nowhere To Run
    [[Brian Holland‐Lamont Dozier‐Edward Holland Jr)
    Produced by Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier
    Band track recorded February 24, 1966, lead recorded March 15, voices recorded March 16, lead re‐cut March 23, instrumental overdubs March 24, 1966
    1.02 Stop! In The Name Of Love
    Band track recorded March 9, 1966, lead recorded March 16, voices recorded March 17, 1966
    1.03 This Old Heart Of Mine [[Is Weak For You)
    [[Brian Holland‐Lamont Dozier‐Edward Holland Jr‐Sylvia Moy)
    Working title: Don't Throw My Love Away
    Band track recorded September 22, 1965, assigned to Kim Weston, strings recorded September 28, re‐assigned to the Isley Brothers and their vocals recorded December 1, 1965
    1.04 Take Some Time Out For Love
    [[Thomas Kemp‐Robert Gordy)
    Produced by Robert Gordy
    Band track recorded January 25, 1966, recording completed March 17, 1966
    1.05 I Guess I'll Always Love You
    Band track recorded March 17, 1966, recording completed March 25, strings recorded March 27, voices recorded April 12, 1966
    1.06 Baby Don't You Do It
    Band track recorded February 24, 1966, lead recorded March 15, voices recorded March 17, 1966
    1.07 Who Could Ever Doubt My Love
    Band track recorded November 24, 1964, assigned to the Supremes and their vocals recorded February 24, 1965; re‐assigned to Brenda Holloway and her vocals recorded December 31, 1964 and January 5, 1965; strings recorded January 8, 1965, re‐assigned to the Isley Brothers and their vocals recorded March 22, 1966
    1.08 Put Yourself In My Place
    [[Brian Holland‐Lamont Dozier‐Edward Holland Jr‐John Thornton)
    Working title: My Darling It's You
    Band track recorded August 20, 1964, assigned to the Supremes; re‐assigned to the Downbeats [[aka the Elgins); strings recorded September 28, 1965, re‐assigned to the Isley Brothers and their vocals recorded March 17, 1966
    1.09 I Hear A Symphony
    Working title: I Hear A Rhapsody
    Band track recorded March 9, 1966, lead recorded March 15, strings recorded March 29, 1966
    1.10 Just Ain't Enough Love
    Band track recorded February 24, 1966, lead recorded March 15, voices recorded March 16, 1966
    1.11 There's No Love Left
    [[Brian Holland‐Lamont Dozier‐Edward Holland Jr‐James Dean)
    Band track recorded February 23, 1965, assigned to the Supremes; re‐assigned to the Four Tops; voices recorded June 9, strings recorded August 24, re‐assigned to the Isley Brothers and their vocals recorded December 1, 1965
    1.12 Seek And You Shall Find
    [[Ivy Jo Hunter‐William Stevenson)
    Produced by William Stevenson, Ivy Jo Hunter
    Working title: Right Around The Corner
    Recorded in New York, August 10, 1965 by Marvin Gaye; Isley Brothers’ vocals dubbed in
    November 23, 1965
    Tracks 1‐12 issued on Tamla LP TM269, “This Old Heart Of Mine”, May
    1.13 Got To Have You Back
    [[Ivy Jo Hunter‐Stephen Bowden‐Leon Ware)
    Produced by Ivy Jo Hunter
    First version: band track recorded October 9, 1966, recording completed October 10, 1966 This version: band track recorded November 2, 1966, recording completed November 7, instrumental overdubs November 9 and December 8, lead recorded December 12, instrumental overdub January 9, 1967
    1.14 That's The Way Love Is
    [[Norman Whitfield‐Barrett Strong)
    Produced by Norman Whitfield
    Band track recorded August 26, 1966, recording completed August 29, 1966
    1.15 Whispers [[Gettin' Louder)
    [[Barbara Acklin‐David Scott)
    Band track recorded January 4, 1967, recording completed January 5, 1967
    1.16 Tell Me It's Just A Rumor Baby
    [[John Bristol‐Harvey Fuqua‐Vernon Bullock)
    Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Band track recorded August 27, 1966, recording completed August 31, 1966
    1.17 One Too Many Heartaches
    [[Ivy Jo Hunter)
    Band track recorded October 9, 1966, recording completed October 10, 1966
    1.18 It's Out Of The Question
    [[William Robinson‐Warren Moore)
    Produced by Smokey Robinson, Warren Moore
    Band track recorded January 4, 1966, unspecified dub‐in January 12, demo lead recorded December 28, 1966, recording completed January 6, 1967
    1.19 Why When Love Is Gone
    [[Ivy Jo Hunter)
    Working title: Now That Love Is Gone
    Band track recorded August 28, 1966, recording completed September 8, 1966
    1.20 Save Me From This Misery
    [[Norman Whitfield‐Rodger Penzabene‐Stephen Bowden)
    Produced by Norman Whitfield
    Arranged by Paul Riser
    First version: band track recorded August 14, 1966, assigned to the Miracles; re‐assigned to the Isley Brothers and the Isleys’ lead recorded September 7, group recorded September 9, miscellaneous overdubs September 12, 1966
    This version: band track recorded June 15, 1967, assigned to the Underdogs, re‐assigned to the Isley Brothers and their version completed the same day
    1.21 Little Miss Sweetness
    [[William Robinson)
    Produced by Smokey Robinson
    Band track recorded August 2, 1966, recording completed September 8, 1966
    1.22 Good Things
    [[Robert Bruce‐Leroy Kirkland)
    Band track recorded January 4, 1967, recording completed January 5, 1967
    1.23 Catching Up On Time
    [[Clarence Paul‐Leon Ware‐Morris Broadnax)
    Produced by Clarence Paul
    Working title: Where Can I Run
    Band track recorded August 28, 1966, recording completed September 8, lead recorded September 13, horns recorded September 28 and 29, 1966
    1.24 Behind A Painted Smile
    [[Ivy Jo Hunter‐Beatrice Verdi)
    Working title: Behind A Faded Smile
    First version: band track and demo lead recorded at Golden World studio December 16, 1966, Isleys’ lead recorded January 5, 1967, group recorded January 6, 1967
    Band track re‐cut February 18 and March 28, 1967
    This version: band track recorded at Golden World studio May 1, 1967, lead vocal cut and recording completed May 2, instrumental overdub recorded May 4, recording completed June 12, 1967
    Tracks 13‐24 issued on Tamla LP TM275, “Soul On The Rocks”, August 28 1967
    1.25 Take Me In Your Arms [[Rock Me A Little While) [single mix]
    Working titles: [1] Baby Don't Hurry [2] Relight The Flame
    Band track recorded July 17, 1967, assigned to Chris Clark; re‐assigned to the Isley Brothers and their recording completed October 11, 1967, horns recorded January 20, 1968
    Issued on Tamla 45 T54164 A, March 14, 1968
    1.26 All Because I Love You [single mix]
    [[Frank Wilson)
    Produced by Frank Wilson
    Working title: Ain't Got Tired Yet
    Band track recorded February 7, 1968, assigned to Brenda Holloway, re‐assigned to the Isley Brothers and their recording completed April 24, horns recorded at Golden World June 12, 1968
    Issued on Tamla 45 T54175 A, November 5, 1968

Disc 2 to follow

Disc 2

2.01 Ain't That Real Satisfaction
    [[William Stevenson)
    Produced by William Stevenson, Ivy Jo Hunter
    Band track recorded August 6, 1965, assigned to the Headliners; re‐assigned to David Winters, Winters’ lead and voices dubbed in October 26, re‐assigned to the Isleys and their vocals added November 21, 1965
    2.02 It Moves Me To Tears
    [[George Kerr‐Gerald Harris‐Luke Gross)
    Produced by William Stevenson, George Kerr
    Recorded in New York by the Contours, September 10, 1965; Isley Brothers dubbed in December 20, 1965
    2.03 What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted [[Smile)
    [[James Dean‐William Weatherspoon‐Paul Riser)
    Produced by William Stevenson
    Working title: Crying In The Night
    Band track recorded August 3, 1965, assigned to Ivy Hunter; re‐assigned to Jimmy Ruffin and his vocal dubbed in November 9, 1965; re‐assigned to the Isley Brothers and their vocals added December 21, 1965
    Issued on Hip‐O Select CD B0003619‐02, “Motown Sings Motown Treasures Volumes 1 and 2”, January 12, 2005
    2.04 Greetings [[This Is Uncle Sam) [with alternate lead vocal]
    [[The Valadiers‐Ronald Dunbar‐Robert Bateman‐Lawrence Horn)
    Produced by William Stevenson, Henry Cosby, Lawrence Horn
    Band track recorded January 19, 1966, Isley Brothers dubbed in January 20, voices recorded January 22, lead vocal re‐recorded [[removing the reference to Vietnam) probably around February 16, 1966
    2.05 Leaving Here
    Working title: Touchdown
    Band track recorded February 24, 1966, recording completed March 17, voices recorded August 30, 1966
    2.06 How Sweet It Is [[To Be Loved By You)
    Band track recorded July 27, 1966, recording completed next day, July 28, 1966
    Issued on Motown CD 530‐960‐1, “Motown Sings Motown Treasures”, September 22, 1998
    2.07 A Weak Spot In My Heart
    [[Clarence Paul‐Luvel Broadnax)
    Produced by Clarence Paul, Morris Broadnax
    Band track recorded April 7, 1966, assigned to the Contours and their vocals recorded April 20, strings recorded April 23; re‐assigned to the Marvelettes and voices recorded June 21; re‐assigned to the Isley Brothers and their version completed July 28, lead recorded September 13, 1966
    Issued on Motown CD 544 619 2, “A Cellarful Of Motown”, June 3, 2002
    2.08 Sure Is A Lotta Woman
    [[Ronald Miller‐Bryan Wells)
    Produced by Clarence Paul
    Working title: Let's Get It On
    Band track recorded August 28, 1966, demo lead recorded September 1, recording completed September 7, horns recorded September 28, 1966
    2.09 [[You've Got) So Much To Shout About
    [[Thomas Kemp‐Robert Gordy)
    Produced by Robert Gordy
    Band track recorded September 3, 1966, recording completed September 10, lead and miscellaneous overdubs September 12, 1966
    2.10 Trouble
    [[Ivy Jo Hunter‐Stephen Bowden)
    Band track and demo lead recorded November 25, 1966, another demo lead recorded December 2, recording completed December 12, 1966
    2.11 Nevermore
    [[Ivy Jo Hunter‐Stephen Bowden)
    Band track recorded December 2, 1966, recording completed December 12, 1966
    2.12 No Good Without You
    [[William Stevenson)
    Working title: Never Without You
    Band track recorded at Golden World studio May 1, 1967, recording completed next day, May 2, 1967
    2.13 My Love Is Your Love [[Forever) [version 2]
    [[Ivy Jo Hunter‐Stevie Wonder)
    Band track recorded August 25, 1967 and assigned to the Marvelettes, re‐assigned to the Isleys and their version completed October 10, 1967
    2.14 Born To Love You
    [[William Stevenson‐Ivy Jo Hunter)
    Working title: Blue Summer
    Band track recorded October 27, 1966, assigned to the Spinners, re‐assigned to the Isley Brothers and their recording completed May 3, 1967
    2.15 Sad Souvenirs
    [[William Stevenson‐Ivy Jo Hunter)
    Band track recorded March 28, 1967, recording completed May 3, 1967
    2.16 Share A Little Love With Me [[Somebody)
    [[Ivy Jo Hunter‐Curtis Colbert)
    Working title: Days Are Getting Longer
    Band track recorded June 2, 1967, recording completed June 12, lead recorded June 13, instrumental overdubs September 20, 1967
    2.17 I Can't Help It [[I Love You)
    [[Ivy Jo Hunter)
    Band track recorded February 10, 1967, assigned to Ivy Jo Hunter, re‐assigned to the Isley Brothers and their version completed June 13, 1967
    2.18 I Can't Go On Sharing Your Love
    Band track recorded September 22, 1967, assigned to Chuck Jackson and his lead recorded September 24 and his recording completed September 25, voices recorded September 26, strings recorded October 5, re‐assigned to the Isley Brothers and their version completed October 11, 1967
    Issued on Motown CD 982 929 7, “A Cellarful Of Motown Volume 2”, July 4, 2005
    2.19 This Old Heart Of Mine [[Is Weak For You) [alternative single mix]
    [[Brian Holland‐Lamont Dozier‐Edward Holland Jr‐Sylvia Moy)
    Recording details shown above
    Issued on Tamla 45 T54128 A [[1st pressing), January 28, 1966
    2.20 I Guess I'll Always Love You [single mix]
    Issued on Tamla 45 T54135 A, June 17, 1966
    2.21 Tell Me It's Just A Rumor Baby [early mix]
    [[John Bristol‐Harvey Fuqua‐Vernon Bullock)
    Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    2.22 I Guess I'll Always Love You [stereo album mix]
    Issued on Tamla LP TS269, “This Old Heart Of Mine”, May 1966
    2.23 Greetings [[This Is Uncle Sam) [original lead vocal]
    [[The Valadiers‐Ronald Dunbar‐Robert Bateman‐Lawrence Horn)
    Produced by William Stevenson, Henry Cosby, Lawrence Horn
    Band track recorded January 19, 1966, Isley Brothers dubbed in January 20, voices recorded January 22
    issued on Music For Pleasure LP MFP50014, “Tamla Motown Presents The Isley Brothers”, May 1972
    2.24 My Love Is Your Love [[Forever) [version 1]
    [[Ivy Jo Hunter‐Stevie Wonder)
    Band track recorded May 1, 1967, recording completed next day, May 2, 1967
    Issued on Motown CD 017 190‐2 “This Old Heart Of Mine / Soul On The Rocks”, November 11, 2002
    2.25 Take Me In Your Arms [[Rock Me A Little While) [stereo mix]
    Issued on Tamla LP TS287, “Doin’ Their Thing”, April 1969
    2.26 All Because I Love You [stereo mix]
    [[Frank Wilson)
    Produced by Frank Wilson
    Issued on Starline LP SRS5098, “The Isley Brothers”, February 1972
    Tracks 2,5,9,10,12,16,and 17 were issued in stereo on Starline LP SRS5098, “The Isley Brothers”, February 1972; the mono mixes appearing here are previously unreleased
    Tracks 1,11,13,14, and 15 were issued in stereo on Music For Pleasure LP MFP50014, “Tamla Motown Presents The Isley Brothers”, May 1972; the mono mixes appearing here are previously unreleased
    Tracks 4,8,and 21 are previously unreleased in mono or stereo
    All tracks recorded at Hitsville USA Studio, Detroit, except as otherwise noted.

Amazing.Thanks Paul.

Is the stereo mix of "All Because I Love You" referred to above any different than that included on the Tamla Motown LP "16 Original Big Hits Volume 7" STML11092 in May 1969?
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 04-11-2015 at 05:31 AM.

Hi Paul, thanks very much for posting that information - and thanks again for putting that set together.

There's another current thread about the UK 2fer series, which includes This Old Heart Of Mine / Soul On The Rocks. The 2fer has stereo mixes, while the Anthology has mostly mono mixes of these LPs [[though a few tracks are in stereo) plus other tracks which are not on the 2fer.

On Anthology, "This Old Heart Of Mine", "There's No Love Left", and "Seek And You Shall Find" from the TOHOM LP are in stereo - why? Could it be that for these songs, the mono LP versions were fold downs of the stereo versions presented here? I was hoping the annotations would explain this.

The Anthology set [[2 cds) is a bargain at about £6:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motown-Antho...isley+brothers

The 2fer:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Heart-M...l+on+the+rocks

The 2fer as a lossless download, less expensive:
    http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/thi.../0004400171902

Several of these 2fers and Anthology sets which are out of print and expensive can be purchased as lossless downloads, though I doubt very much that they will come with any liner notes [[I have them on cd).
    Last edited by calvin; 04-11-2015 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Hi Paul, thanks very much for posting that information - and thanks again for putting that set together.

There's another current thread about the UK 2fer series, which includes This Old Heart Of Mine / Soul On The Rocks. The 2fer has stereo mixes, while the Anthology has mostly mono mixes of these LPs [[though a few tracks are in stereo) plus other tracks which are not on the 2fer.

On Anthology, "This Old Heart Of Mine", "There's No Love Left", and "Seek And You Shall Find" from the TOHOM LP are in stereo - why? Could it be that for these songs, the mono LP versions were fold downs of the stereo versions presented here? I was hoping the annotations would explain this.

The Anthology set [[2 cds) is a bargain at about £6:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motown-Antho...isley+brothers

The 2fer:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Heart-M...l+on+the+rocks

The 2fer as a lossless download, less expensive:
    http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/thi.../0004400171902

Several of these 2fers and Anthology sets which are out of print and expensive can be purchased as lossless downloads, though I doubt very much that they will come with any liner notes [[I have them on cd).
    Need to reach back in memory about a couple of these things and I may have to get back to you later, but firstly I believe we picked up the Monos where we thought they were better simply because as you rightly say the stereos were so widely available. This was always uppermost in my mind when compiling a CD. Why put something out that was already out there . I

Note also the bonus tracks on the 2001 2fer of "This Old Heart Of Mine/Soul On The Rocks".

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Need to reach back in memory about a couple of these things and I may have to get back to you later, but firstly I believe we picked up the Monos where we thought they were better simply because as you rightly say the stereos were so widely available. This was always uppermost in my mind when compiling a CD. Why put something out that was already out there . I
    And I've just been reminded the tracks that otherwise had been put out in electronically processed stereo we wanted in proper stereo for the fist time