[REMOVE ADS]

Who is this man with the Supremes?

I normally dont start a thread about a picture but as a die hard fan of Motown I think I have seen all of the pics of our girls but for years I have been wanting to know. In the Supremes Anthology there is a pic of a man in the silver book with a tam on in the studio and he is standing next to Flo and Mary is smoking a cigarette sitting down, Diana is laughing as usual. If you have not seen this pic click on this link and at 2:31 on the youtube video you will see him. Can any experts solve this Motown mystery for me?
    I know this is asking too much but if you know what they were recording it would be interesting to know too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFlqF...eature=related

I don't know, Steph, but I'm wondering if it might not be Curtis McNair, who designed the album covers. He looks like he's preparing a sketch....

Dave I thought that he might be an artist too. If he is I wonder what cover he was going to do. There is something about this pic I have always found quite interesting.

Stephanie, I remember that picture.

Is it you, Marv?

It's Eddie Holland in the shot of the girls in the studio.

Quote Originally Posted by bankhousedave View Post
    Is it you, Marv?

No Dave, I would have been about 5, maybe 6 years old when that photo was taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff9nyc View Post
    It's Eddie Holland in the shot of the girls in the studio.
    No, that is not Eddie Holland in the color photo that Stephanie is referring to. It was first printed in the 1974 Diana Ross & the Supremes Anthology Album.

I'm willing to be wrong but, I believe it is Eddie Holland Marv. Take a good look at his face. I know where the photo was from.

that doesnt look like Eddie Holland to me. I could be wrong though I have never seen this guy before. I thought Eddies face was a little bigger than that and he looks slimmer than Eddie. Oh well the plot thickens maybe John Lester knows but Jeff I am not doubting you. I never said anything because all of these years on the forum I thought someone might bring this picture up.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    that doesnt look like Eddie Holland to me. I could be wrong though I have never seen this guy before. I thought Eddies face was a little bigger than that and he looks slimmer than Eddie. Oh well the plot thickens maybe John Lester knows but Jeff I am not doubting you. I never said anything because all of these years on the forum I thought someone might bring this picture up.
    Stephanie, I could ask Mary, but she may not remember and I would have to try a screen capture from the video to show her.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff9nyc View Post
    I'm willing to be wrong but, I believe it is Eddie Holland Marv. Take a good look at his face. I know where the photo was from.
    Jeff, I am positive that it isn't Eddie Holland in that pic. It could be Taylor Cox, but it is hard to tell with his face shown only in profile like that.

Jeff's suggestion is good on many counts. Looks and a reason for being there are 2 good ones. I don't know for sure who it is but I'd like to throw in one more name......James Dean.

Russ Terrana worked with James Dean so he might be able to give a better insight.

Picture from Supremes Anthology LP disc set

Name:  Supremes + unknown079.jpg
Views: 1704
Size:  64.8 KB

Here you are....it's the best I can do.

Thanks Xtown
    I think your right plus its hard to tell if its even at Hitsville.

He don't look like Eddie Holland to me.
    Could be an arranger who works on a vocal arrangement or an arrangement for one of the musicians... looks to me like a desk on which sheet music lies.

That might be Robert Bullock.

Well have to wait for a comment from someone who worked with this guy, or at least recognizes him... after half a century.

I think John has the best resource if Russ is familiar with it.

I asked Al Abrams and he said it might be a young Beans Bowles.

Bankhouse Dave,

Can you please check your mailbox here on soulful detroit?

Thanks,

Jim Bagley

It doesn't look like Bean Bowles or Eddie Holland. I have seen the photo before, but I do not know who he is, but he
    is possibly an arranger of sheet music. Could he be Lawrence Horn?

Jim:

Do I have a mailbox on Soulful Detroit?

I had an email from you, which I'm just waiting to hear from the editorial board before I answer yes to! How do I get at my SD mailbox?

Hi Bank House Dave,

Scroll to the top of the page and click on 'Notifications'. You will see a link to your 'In Box'.

Steve

I dont know who the guy is but It could be a shot from Europe..
    Last edited by nomis; 11-30-2010 at 07:31 PM.

Simon

My thoughts too...frocks are not usually my bag, but those outfits looked a bit like the ones they wore in Holland.....so I suggested to James it might not even be Hitsville USA.

Randy

Check out the Temptations "Sorry is a sorry word" video to see Lawrence Horn in the Control room with a baby Russ Terrana. It can't be him, this guy with the Supremes is quite cute!

*smile*

Here is another pic of the Supremes with an unknown man. Anyone know who he is? I can only post the link as I don't know how to post pictures, sorry. BTW, check out the asking price. Yikes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIANA-ROSS-SUPRE...item4aa6b07c6d

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Here is another pic of the Supremes with an unknown man. Anyone know who he is? I can only post the link as I don't know how to post pictures, sorry. BTW, check out the asking price. Yikes.

I believe its Pete Fellerman [[sp). He was very helpful in promoting the girls in Holland, and he stayed friends with them until his death. He attended one of Diana's Ahoy concerts in 1993/1994, and a photo of them together was published in one of her fan club newsletters.

Didn't Lawrence Horn go to prison--something about murdering his wife and her mother? Anyway, the guy looks familiar,
    but I don't know who he is and can't be sure they even took the photo at Hitsville as others have stated.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    Didn't Lawrence Horn go to prison--something about murdering his wife and her mother? Anyway, the guy looks familiar,
    but I don't know who he is and can't be sure they even took the photo at Hitsville as others have stated.
    I vaguely remember something about Horn allegedly trying to arrange the murder of his spouse [[and maybe a child as well ?) to collect on an insurance policy.

It was actually a segment of a TV-series like "48 Hours Mystery" or one of those shows.

Reese is the man - spot on! Robbert will probably have more to say about his friend!

miss_lish Guest
    Oh dear! Are you implying that there were murderous souls at Motown other than Miss Ross and Berry Gordy?!

Lawrence Horn is serving life in prison for hiring James Perry to kill his wife, mentally challenged son and the son's overnight nurse. Horn stood to gain 1.7 million from a trust that was set up for his son. Perry was sentenced to three life terms and died in prison. The case was covered on an espidsode of "American Justice".
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 12-01-2010 at 08:05 PM.

I thnk we can say it's neither of them. He has something of the look of Berry's valet.

It's SMOKEY!!!!!

Best,

Mark

LOL Naw I don' think thats the Smoke

Re: Supremes with ANOTHER unknown man... well, well. No end to the gossip!

[[this is one of the few fabulous color pics that Dutch photographer Paul Huf shot of the girls in early 1965. Unfortunately Motown never used the best pics from the series in one of their recent Supremes projects, until now. The material is heavily copywrited, I think.)

It's Pete Felleman alright, he was my boss at Tamla-Motown's [[EMI-)office between 1970-1976. I have mentioned his name many times, but not many posters have seemed to notice, until now [[thanks, John).
    I met Pete briefly in 1968 when I was working as an administrative clerk at CBS/Artone, the company that distributed Tamla-Motown then [[in the city of Haarlem, Holland). Pete was labelmanager for Motown. 1968 was also the year of the Supremes' televised concert at the Amsterdam RAI Hall, which was released on dvd a few years ago [[and not at the Concertgebouw, as the dvd mentiones). If you listen carefully, you can hear Diana address You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You to Pete, who of course sat front row, with his wife [["Pete, I love, I love, I love you...").

Pete started to work for Motown in - I believe - 1964 at CBS/Artone's [[in 1969 Motown would move to EMI). He heavily promoted the Supremes' records in Holland and all over Europe, as early as A Breattaking Guy in '63/'64. He made sur most of their 45's had full color sleeves over the years, which was exceptional in those days. Their Someday We'll Be Together was one of the first stereo 45 that EMI marketed in Europe.

More facts.
    He had them fly over in October 1964 from London [[just for 24 hours) for their very first continental visit, which resulted in the few songs that were lip synched in an empty Theatre Carré. That recording also can be found on the aforementioned dvd as bonus tracks. In early 1965 the girls appeared on the prestigeous Grand Gala Du Disque Gala, in their famous pink silk dresses with feather seams and feather stoles, singing their new hit I Hear A Symphony, a.o.

When I approached Pete again in early 1970 for an interview for the magazine A Sound Supreme of the Dutch Tamla-Motown Appreciation Society, I was almost immediately hired to be his right hand [[man, was I lucky...).
    I worked for him until I was promoted to the international division of EMI in 1975, but kept on advizing him on all kind of matters. I quit EMI in 1977, to pick up university studies.

If I could write a book about this flamboyant man, I would. He was befriended with Mary. He called Diana "a tomboy". He admired Flo for her impeccable high notes.
    Last edited by robbert; 12-02-2010 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    Re: Supremes with ANOTHER unknown man... well, well. No end to the gossip!

[[this is one of the few fabulous color pics that Dutch photographer Paul Huf shot of the girls in early 1965. Unfortunately Motown never used the best pics from the series in one of their recent Supremes projects, until now. The material is heavily copywrited, I think.)

It's Pete Felleman alright, he was my boss at Tamla-Motown's [[EMI-)office between 1970-1976. I have mentioned his name many times, but not many posters have seemed to notice, until now [[thanks, John).
    I met Pete briefly in 1968 when I was working as an administrative clerk at CBS/Artone, the company that distributed Tamla-Motown then [[in the city of Haarlem, Holland). Pete was labelmanager for Motown. 1968 was also the year of the Supremes' televised concert at the Amsterdam RAI Hall, which was released on dvd a few years ago [[and not at the Concertgebouw, as the dvd mentiones). If you listen carefully, you can hear Diana address You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You to Pete, who of course sat front row, with his wife [["Pete, I love, I love, I love you...").

Pete started to work for Motown in - I believe - 1964 at CBS/Artone's [[in 1969 Motown would move to EMI). He heavily promoted the Supremes' records in Holland and all over Europe, as early as A Breattaking Guy in '63/'64. He made sur most of their 45's had full color sleeves over the years, which was exceptional in those days. Their Someday We'll Be Together was one of the first stereo 45 that EMI marketed in Europe.

More facts.
    He had them fly over in October 1964 from London [[just for 24 hours) for their very first continental visit, which resulted in the few songs that were lip synched in an empty Theatre Carré. That recording also can be found on the aforementioned dvd as bonus tracks. In early 1965 the girls appeared on the prestigeous Grand Gala Du Disque Gala, in their famous pink silk dresses with feather seams and feather stoles, singing their new hit I Hear A Symphony, a.o.

When I approached Pete again in early 1970 for an interview for the magazine A Sound Supreme of the Dutch Tamla-Motown Appreciation Society, I was almost immediately hired to be his right hand [[man, was I lucky...).
    I worked for him until I was promoted to the international division of EMI in 1975, but kept on advizing him on all kind of matters. I quit EMI in 1977, to pick up university studies.

If I could write a book about this flamboyant man, I would. He was befriended with Mary. He called Diana "a tomboy". He admired Flo for her impeccable high notes.
    I think Diana Ross also mentions him in one of her solo Rotterdam concerts in past years

Mystery solved! Thank you so much Robert its stuff like this that makes the forum so enjoyable.

But who is the man in the original photo?

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    But who is the man in the original photo?
    He might just be a guy writing down the Supremes lunch order

It's NOT Eddie Holland
    It's NOT Lawrence Horn [[he's too light-skinned)
    It's NOT Smokey
    It's NOT Beans - surely he would have looked older, given the vintage of the picture.
    I don't know what James Dean looked like or Robert Bullock, so cannot further.

A friend has suggested that he could be an artist who was actually sketching Flo at the time. The guy is wearing a beret so it's a possibility.

Does an artist keep his pens under his beret?

It looks like they are in a recording studio, with the sound monitors and such. The gentleman could be a producer or an arranger sitting in front of the musical score on the easel.

My money's on Smokey. Check out the still of him standing, sans beret, in profile looking at artiste photos on a wall in Carole Cucumber's 'Smokey Robinson Growing Up' video extract posted Aug 26 in the Motown 25 Release Information Thread. Yes? No?