[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye - Take This Heart Of Mine

thomas96 Guest
    Wow! I've never seen this before. Thanks for posting.

No, I've never seen it until now.

The audience were really with him, even if Marvin does look a tad overdressed for the setting...

Haven't you ever been taken out to a nice restaurant?

LOL

Yes, and I was left there.

I probably looked like the cabaret...so I guess I shouldn't talk....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Yes, and I was left there.

I probably looked like the cabaret...so I guess I shouldn't talk....LOL
    Next time, try to remember that you have to pay for the meal after you've eaten it

Sweet thing, I've had to pay in many various ways for some of the meals I've eaten

I'm surprised your memory can still go that far back !

It's so reassuring to know you're always around to remind me....

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    It's so reassuring to know you're always around to remind me....
    Bless you and all those who have sailed in you!

Also while taping Dick Clark's "Where the Action Is" that afternoon outside the
    Roostertail on the Detroit River, Marvin performed another of his big hits..."Ain't that Peculiar"!

Looking sharp, Marvin!

What a great run of releases by Marvin, with Smokey at the helm, I'll Be Doggone, Aint That peculiar, One More Heartache and Take This Heart Of Mine were. I also love Clarence Paul's Pretty Little Baby, which somehow snuck into that run.

Pretty little baby is my fav from marvin,the gem is just too cool.

Once Upon A Time [[Marvin and Mary Wells), also courtesy of Clarence Paul, has a similar cool groove.

Pretty Little Baby.....

Whenever I see people discussing Marvin, they go into his early life, into how he got into Motown and how he produced his first records, then just skim through his early success [[mainly claiming he didn't become a star until the Tammi Terrell recordings and I Heard It Through the Grapevine making him a superstar) but I feel Marvin's 1962-1966 period gets so disrespected. They were a part of his growth. He was one of the founding fathers of soul music [[Ray, Solomon, Otis, Sam, Wilson, James, Marvin, etc.) but sometimes never gets mentioned as being one but he started making hit records when Ray and Sam had just broke through the mainstream and as Solomon, Otis, Wilson and James were starting to make their strides. Marvin was right there with them with "Stubborn Kind of Fellow", "Hitch Hike", "Can I Get a Witness", "How Sweet It Is", "You Are a Wonderful One", "Try It Baby", "Baby Don't You Do It", "I'll Be Doggone", "Ain't That Peculiar", "Pretty Little Baby", "Little Darling I Need You", the list goes on and on. But no one talks about it because the Supremes overshadowed every other successful act and the hit duets with the Motown ladies also kinda overshadow his early solo success.

Marvin was one of a kind. Even in his early solo career, he had one of the grittiest [[mixed with sweetness as David Ritz would say) Motown catalogs of the star lineup [[Stevie was totally squeaky clean, the Supremes were glamorous, the Miracles were smoother, only the Temptations and Martha and the Vandellas matched what Marvin brought to the company) and that's not even going into his 1967-1970 solo period where he went into a proto-funk sound and produced the trademark voice that would later birth What's Going On, Trouble Man, Let's Get It On, I Want You, Here, My Dear, In Our Lifetime and the post-Motown Midnight Love.

He left behind a rich legacy but people rarely delve into it, they need to!

Midnightman, you hit the nail squarely oh the head. Marvin Gaye had that special something right from the git go and today's fans need to be reminded of his enormous earlier catalogue as you just did! Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Whenever I see people discussing Marvin, they go into his early life, into how he got into Motown and how he produced his first records, then just skim through his early success [[mainly claiming he didn't become a star until the Tammi Terrell recordings and I Heard It Through the Grapevine making him a superstar) but I feel Marvin's 1962-1966 period gets so disrespected. They were a part of his growth. He was one of the founding fathers of soul music [[Ray, Solomon, Otis, Sam, Wilson, James, Marvin, etc.) but sometimes never gets mentioned as being one but he started making hit records when Ray and Sam had just broke through the mainstream and as Solomon, Otis, Wilson and James were starting to make their strides. Marvin was right there with them with "Stubborn Kind of Fellow", "Hitch Hike", "Can I Get a Witness", "How Sweet It Is", "You Are a Wonderful One", "Try It Baby", "Baby Don't You Do It", "I'll Be Doggone", "Ain't That Peculiar", "Pretty Little Baby", "Little Darling I Need You", the list goes on and on. But no one talks about it because the Supremes overshadowed every other successful act and the hit duets with the Motown ladies also kinda overshadow his early solo success.

Marvin was one of a kind. Even in his early solo career, he had one of the grittiest [[mixed with sweetness as David Ritz would say) Motown catalogs of the star lineup [[Stevie was totally squeaky clean, the Supremes were glamorous, the Miracles were smoother, only the Temptations and Martha and the Vandellas matched what Marvin brought to the company) and that's not even going into his 1967-1970 solo period where he went into a proto-funk sound and produced the trademark voice that would later birth What's Going On, Trouble Man, Let's Get It On, I Want You, Here, My Dear, In Our Lifetime and the post-Motown Midnight Love.

I couldn't agree more with you midnightman! That's why I'm so appreciative of all the temptations threads we've had lately! Those early records from Marvin is what jump started my affinity for all things Motown, which ultimately lead to a love of music as a whole. It's a breath of fresh air to see other mid 60s Motown act get some love and respect around here.

Midnightman, we did a thread here a few years ago devoted exactly to that subject or timeframe of Marvin's career . If I can find it, I will post a link.

. . . Ray, Solomon, Otis, Sam, Wilson, James, Marvin, etc. were starting to make their strides. Marvin was right there with them with "Stubborn Kind of Fellow", "Hitch Hike", "Can I Get a Witness", "How Sweet It Is", "You Are a Wonderful One", "Try It Baby", "Baby Don't You Do It", "I'll Be Doggone", "Ain't That Peculiar", "Pretty Little Baby", "Little Darling I Need You", the list goes on and on. But no one talks about it because the Supremes overshadowed every other successful act and the hit duets with the Motown ladies also kinda overshadow his early solo success.
    I kind of disagree because Marvin's star was already in the sky while the Supremes were still floundering as unknowns. I clearly remember the big deal made by the "grown ups" in their twenties every time Marvin had a new release. This excitement extended back as far as Pride & Joy. No matter whose house was visited, Marvin's 45s were on the box. Checking the old Billboard and Cash Box charts should verify that his foothold on stardom was already established. Marvin's fan base was strictly with R&B audiences until What's Going On led to massive cross-over appeal. The Supremes did cast a wide shadow, but they were one of the last horses out the gates. While they managed to build a larger fan base with camps in both R&B and pop, there were strong sentiments that the Supremes had "sold out" and were no longer thought of as R&B artists.
    Last edited by nabob; 04-05-2015 at 09:15 PM.

^ Even so, I still think Marvin's earlier output is overlooked, especially nowadays. The man had a rich catalog that is just starting to be viewed in a grander scale than it was after his death. I just feel his impact is overlooked, especially compared to who were bigger Motown sellers after him.
    Last edited by midnightman; 04-07-2015 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Midnightman, we did a thread here a few years ago devoted exactly to that subject or timeframe of Marvin's career . If I can find it, I will post a link.
    Cool. Hope you can find it...

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I couldn't agree more with you midnightman! That's why I'm so appreciative of all the temptations threads we've had lately! Those early records from Marvin is what jump started my affinity for all things Motown, which ultimately lead to a love of music as a whole. It's a breath of fresh air to see other mid 60s Motown act get some love and respect around here.
    Haha yeah. Marvin was the first voice I recognized as MOTOWN even before I knew Stevie, Diana and MJ were Motown lol to me he's the voice of Motown [[if Smokey is considered its heart and Berry its soul - though that's often disputed here haha).

Marvin doesn't get enough love here.

Marvin Gaye has been one of my faves since I bought that 45 "Stubborn Kind of Fellow" in 1962. That and "Hitch Hike" were big on Miami pop radio and then "Pride & Joy" was big every where.