[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I thought all the female Motown groups records were better before the Andante days.More personality.Thats not the fault of the Andantes.
    I agree. Each female group had an identifiable sound, sometimes raw but endearing at the same time as you said it they had "personality" The Andantes were perfect for the Tops though! That blend was stellar!
    Last edited by soulballad; 04-06-2015 at 02:11 PM.

Motony and soulballad, to each his own, I guess. Once Motown had developed its "sound" in 1964/65, The Andantes gave Motown's recordings a level of sophistication which wouldn't have been achieved otherwise. Motown's producers felt the same way which put "The Motown Sound" way ahead of the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Motony and soulballad, to each his own, I guess. Once Motown had developed its "sound" in 1964/65, The Andantes gave Motown's recordings a level of sophistication which wouldn't have been achieved otherwise. Motown's producers felt the same way which put "The Motown Sound" way ahead of the competition.
    It's all a matter of opinon no biggie. To me If this sound was for kids [[the sound of young america), the kids who bought the records wanted to be able to emulate the sound easily. As an adult sophistication is good, but it also added a bland flavor because all the records sounded the same at some point. Those later sixties female albums all had the same background sound, the days of having a Roz or Flo were missed. Even in the 60's when I heard Sugar and Spice, In Full Bloom and Let The sunshine in etc.etc. I knew something was up. The real magic and excitement was gone imo.