[REMOVE ADS]

It's Diana Ross' Birthday: 10 Underrated Supremes Songs from the Detroit Free Press

Good Story !!!!!
    Happy Birthday to the undisputed Queen of Motown and for giving us over 50 years of outstanding Guts, Rats and Roaches soul music. I tip my hat to you.

Great choice of Supremes songs honoring Diana's birthday. Diana, may you have the time of your life on your special day! - Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 03-26-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Excellent article. Great choices! Happy Birthday Miss Ross!

Happy Birthday, Ms. Ross. Always will remember the day in Nov. 1962 I met you when you came in Mary Wells & Martha Reeves room & how surprised you were that I knew your song "Let Me Go the Right Way" . Great memories & always proud of your accomplishments.

Couldn't agree more with "Going Down." Absolutely one of my favorite Supremes tracks. Mary and Flo go to CHURCH on this one, and this is one of Diana's most fiery vocals. The Funk Bros rip this one to shreds. And that bass line...whoo! Phoebe Snow does an excellent cover, as well.

What's really weird is that, having completely forgotten when Diana's birthday was, plus having not listened to her or the Supremes in some time, I had a dream about her last night. I dreamt I was backstage at one of her concerts and there was this big celebration for her. Definitely weird!

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    Couldn't agree more with "Going Down." Absolutely one of my favorite Supremes tracks. Mary and Flo go to CHURCH on this one, and this is one of Diana's most fiery vocals. The Funk Bros rip this one to shreds. And that bass line...whoo! Phoebe Snow does an excellent cover, as well.

What's really weird is that, having completely forgotten when Diana's birthday was, plus having not listened to her or the Supremes in some time, I had a dream about her last night. I dreamt I was backstage at one of her concerts and there was this big celebration for her. Definitely weird!
    great choices for ten underated songs by ross and the supremes and going down with mary and flo riping up the background and hes my sunny boy with mary and cindy vocalizing along with lilaiimh and nbh and ask any girl r among the best. Happy birthday diana you were always meant to be a star. Always remember t day u gave me an autograph in sept 64 outside the brooklyn fox. It said good luck diane ross of the supremes

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Nothing will ever top her leaving that stadium in the helicopter.

I bet it wouldn't be allowed anymore. It did seem a little dangerous.

agreed these are, overall, 10 fine choices. but as with any list, opinions can differ lol

Nothing But Heartaches and Love Is Like An Itching are two songs that, frankly, i just don't care for and rarely listen to. so i've made my own list

You Bring Back Memories - great early Sups track. made it out as a B side but i think it's stronger than many of their early A's.

Long Gone Lover - great work by the trio and harmonies. plus Flo's killer ending

Going Down for 3rd Time

Beginning of the End - beautiful doo woo ballad

Wonderful Wonderful - not sure if i should count this since it's a cover. but i love their version

This Old Heart Of Mine - frankly this should have been the single release prior to You Can't Hurry Love IMO. this one easily beats the Isley's version

Misery Makes My Heart It's Home - usually i find the Smokey productions to be a bit silly. i'm not always a fan of his lyrics. but love this one

Why Must We Fall In Love - again, this might be a bit out of scope since it's a Temps duet. but it's a great song

How Long Has Evening Train - strong possibly follow up single to Love Child

There's No Stopping Us Now

RossHolloway Guest
    It's good to know that D. Ross is not forgotten on her birthday in her home town. While there is not a bad song on the list, my list of underrated Supreme songs would include:

1. Sunset -essentially a duet between Diana and Mary, I think it could have been a showstopper in their live set. Also great harmonies between the three singers.

2. My Funny Valentine - A real heartfelt performance of this song. The only other version that makes me pay attention to this song is the version by Rachelle Ferrell.

3. This Old Heart of Mine [[Is Weak for You) - I think I heard the Supreme's version before the Isley Brother's version and it's one of the few remakes that stands up to the original version.

4. Wait Til You See Him - Diana really captures the spirit of being totally enamored with a person and how intoxicating it can be.

5. If I Ruled The World - I'm not ashamed to say it but on certain days listening to this song will bring tears to my eyes. The Supreme's version of this song is truly beautiful.

6. Love Is In Our Heart - Diana sings this song with such ease and joy, and Mary's vocals are so up there that it sounds like a duet between the two. It never fails to give me a smile when I hear this song.

7. I'm Standing At the Crossroads of Love - One of the first songs the group recorded by HDH. I've always loved the way that Diana cries out "Don't know which way to go, don't know which way to turn" at the 1:14 mark, it kills me every time. Diana knows how to sell a song, even at the age of 19. Florence's background vocals totally drowns out Mary, I'm not even sure if Mary's in the background.

8. How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone - I've loved this song from the first time I heard it. My favorite cut from the Love Child album.

9. You're Gonna Come To Me [[WDOLG version) - Written and produced by Berry Gordy, I can't help but think that Gordy wrote this song about his interest in Diana, the way he wrote Try It Baby about her. I always think that this could have been a song for Sam Cooke.

10. Your Heart Belong to Me - I've always loved this song because it's an early example of what potential the group had and how well Diana Ross could deliver a song.

Manhattan

Love is like an itching

I want a guy

Your heart belongs to me

Does your mama know about me

How long has that evening train been gone

I don't know whether anyone notice, but the heading is not correct. There were 11 songs, not 10 songs as the heading indicates.

Obviously a fan prepared the article and couldn't stop himself!

Good article. Here's some of my favorite Underrated Supremes songs that I want to add to the mix-
    1. "Mother Dear" [[1st version from 'More Hits by The Supremes)
    2. "Don't Let True Love Die" [[from 'Let The Music Play-Supreme Rarities')
    3. "I'm So Glad Heartaches Don't Last Always" [[from "More Hits")
    4. "Any Girl In Love [[Knows What I'm Going Through)" [[from 'I Hear A Symphony')
    5. "Mother You, Smother You" [[from 'Supremes Sing HDH')