[REMOVE ADS]

The Four Tops Dance

I've always been fascinated by the Four Tops Dance - one of my favourite groups. I threw together a little compilation of their dancing. Hope you enjoy it...

They were actually good dancers, although you'd always find Lawrence doing something a little off beat and to see Levi doing the boogaloo is just too much LO!

supremester Guest
    Martha Reeves told me that she and the others used to watch the different groups practice and howl at The Tops 'cos they could not dance at all and they were these old men trying to move and couldn't. That's why Cholly taught them that one basic move. I never knew their ages but are they that much older than Martha & Co?

From the Soulwalking website:

Levi Stubbs [[b. Levi Stubbles, 6th June 1936, Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A. d. 17th October 2008, Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.)
    Renaldo 'Obie' Benson [[b. Renaldo Benson, 14th June 1936, Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A. d. 1st July 2005, Harper Hospital, Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.)
    Lawrence Payton [[b. Lawrence Albert Payton, 2nd March 1938, Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A. d. 20th June 1997, Southfield, Michigan, U.S.A.)
    and
    Abdul 'Duke' Fakir [[b. 26th December 1934, Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.)

1957 to 1961 - The Del-Phis - Martha Reeves [[b. 18th July 1941), Rosalind 'Roz' Ashford-Holmes [[b. 2nd September 1943), Annette Beard Sterling Helton [[b. 4th July 1943) and Gloria Williams [[b. 1942, d. 2000)
    1961 to 1962 - The Vels - Martha Reeves [[b. 18th July 1941), Rosalind 'Roz' Ashford-Holmes [[b. 2nd September 1943), Annette Beard Sterling Helton [[b. 4th July 1943) and Gloria Williams [[b. 1942, d. 2000)
    1962 - 1964 - Martha and the Vandellas - Martha Reeves [[b. 18th July 1941), Rosalind 'Roz' Ashford-Holmes [[b. 2nd September 1943) and Annette Beard Sterling Helton [[b. 4th July 1943)
    1964 - 1967 - Martha and the Vandellas - Martha Reeves [[b. 18th July 1941), Rosalind 'Roz' Ashford-Holmes [[b. 2nd September 1943) and Betty Kelly [[b. 16th September 1944)

1967 - 1969 - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Martha Reeves
    [[b. 18th July 1941),Rosalind 'Roz' Ashford-Holmes [[b. 2nd September 1943) and Lois Reeves [[a.k.a. Sandra Delores Reeves b. 12th April 1948)
    1969 - 1972 - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Martha Reeves [[b. 18th July 1941), Sandra Tilley [[b. 6th May 1946, d. 9th September 1981) and Lois Reeves [[a.k.a. Sandra Delores Reeves b. 12th April 1948)

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Martha Reeves told me that she and the others used to watch the different groups practice and howl at The Tops 'cos they could not dance at all and they were these old men trying to move and couldn't. That's why Cholly taught them that one basic move. I never knew their ages but are they that much older than Martha & Co?
    It is my understanding that the Tops took the advice of seasoned performer, Mr. Billy Eckstine with whom they had work. He told them to tailor or tone down there stage movements to allow them to sing! He knew very well that the Four Tops could produce harmonies like no others and in order to do that in concert, without tiring themselves out they should restrict their choreography some. They could all dance.
    Last edited by marv2; 03-26-2015 at 06:58 PM.

Very funny post,i love the four tops...and their cute dance.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It is my understanding that the Tops took the advice of seasoned performer, Mr. Billy Eckstine with whom they had work. He told them to tailor or tone down there stage movements to allow them to sing! He knew very well that the Four Tops could produce harmonies like no others and in order to do that in concert, without tiring themselves out they should restrict their choreography some. They could all dance.
    I saw the Tops at a corporate even before Lawrence passed; harmonies sound like the recording. But they were doing some fine spins. They were an expensive group to book. They could barely get off the stage due to the fans being so close in proximity. I bel there were 3 encores and they were having fun. You would never know Lawrence was ill.

You know how you always pick one that you watch the most.

I always watch Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    You know how you always pick one that you watch the most.

I always watch Lawrence.
    That's because [[in my opinion) he was always doing something a little off beat, funny or very hip. LOL!

supremester Guest
    Thank You, Carol!!