[REMOVE ADS]

A very good Three Degrees Live Performance from 1974

Real nice clip soulballard thanks for sharing.

Fondly,

Roberta

Wow, and they kick off with I Didn't Know, a much underrated tune from the Philly pantheon. I just love it! And I never knew there three lead voices on it...

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Wow, and they kick off with I Didn't Know, a much underrated tune from the Philly pantheon. I just love it! And I never knew there three lead voices on it...
    Soulwally, there weren't [[three leads originally). Valerie appears a little hoarse in this clip and Fayette stepped up and took over her part. Very professional.

Thank you, soulballad. Girl-group harmonies didn't come any better than The Three Degrees!

And, speaking of "I Didn’t Know", did you know that The Three Degrees [[Sheila, Valerie, & Fayette) appeared on a 1973 episode of "Sanford And Son" where they performed an a-capella version of "I Didn’t Know"? I remember seeing the original airing of this episode back in the day. If I recall, their first Philadelphia International album had just been released. Seeing the girls perform this was really special at the time. [[Posted by Sanford And Son)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GltZlg3o04
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 03-21-2015 at 09:25 PM.

honest man Guest
    Don't want to turn this into THREE DEGREES V SUPREMES fight but i now realize why supremes lost there fans especially in UK me for one,i saw the three degrees for first time on London Palladium show tv 73-74 and loved them,they were everything the Supremes had stopped being.They came at right time in uk The Supremes were struggling last hit Automatically sunshine ended on charts new members relacements i could not keep up,Three Degrees were everywhere had identites there timing was perfect.Though i love both groups just saying and lastly When will i see you again[beautiful]was a nod Someday we'll be together.Both groups i love them.cheers

their manager had a falling out with Gamble/Huff before they could have a string of hits in the US.

.Great clip. Thx. Did Valerie give Fayette a sign to take over? I'm surprised Fayette didn't do more leads. Great voice.

Fayette did a few leads during the Roulette years. She and Shelia also shared the lead on Everybody Gets to Go to The Moon. It seems most of their songs from the Gamble and Huff era were shared leads, which was a good thing. Take a listen to "Ebb Tide" where they each take a verse also "Mac Arthur Park

Fayette's clear soprano is showcased in the background on this 1969 side with the classic trio

I love The Three Degrees,they have always been a class act,just like The Supremes,i just wish they had stayed with Gamble and Huff,tho The Supremes will always be number 1,[[to me)i still love The Three Degrees,even now.

honest man Guest
    Sheila Ferguson and Diana Ross are 2 of the most sexiest women to walk this earth,how lucky were both groups to have them in their lineups cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    I suppose you know the back story to what happened with Fayette?

This is a great video. "When will I see you again" is one of the classic songs from that era [[70's) that have stood the test of time. "When will I see you again", "The best of my love" by the Emotions and "Lady Marmalade" from Labelle are the most played girl group songs from that era.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    This is a great video. "When will I see you again" is one of the classic songs from that era [[70's) that have stood the test of time. "When will I see you again", "The best of my love" by the Emotions and "Lady Marmalade" from Labelle are the most played girl group songs from that era.
    No they are not!

What's the back story marv?

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    I get the theme but graphically, this album cover is terrible

Great music videos. Funny thing is as much as I am up on most of my music from the 70's and 80's I had very little knowledge of The Three Degrees. I knew about When Will I see You Again and I remembered seeing them on Sanford & Son. It was around 10 years ago through this site that I began to see posts on the group and saw what a following they had. Definitely grateful for all f my musicologists on SD

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    That song slipped by me. I think I heard it just once before but I definitely like it. I just saw the girls again on Sanford & Son this week. I pointed Fayette out to my wife, mentioning that she passed a few years ago.
    Last edited by mr_june; 04-02-2015 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Great music videos. Funny thing is as much as I am up on most of my music from the 70's and 80's I had very little knowledge of The Three Degrees. I knew about When Will I see You Again and I remembered seeing them on Sanford & Son. It was around 10 years ago through this site that I began to see posts on the group and saw what a following they had. Definitely grateful for all f my musicologists on SD
    I saw your post after I posted but my Three Degrees story is just like yours. I only really know "When Will I See You Again" but should have know that they would have some more good ones in the bag. Big Philly fan but a late bloomer on the group but I'm impressed.

I'm going to pick up some Three Degrees CD. Are the Philly albums the best of the groups recordings?