[REMOVE ADS]

For My Friends In The UK . . . And Elsewhere: DRIVING THROUGH OLD LONDON - 1950s

https://youtu.be/GHhuBZEZESU

Many thanks to Rick88888888 for this YouTube posting.

Thank you for posting this clip, Meth2.....I've been waiting for someone who has lived longer in London than ever I did, to comment......

1950s London is too far back for me to remember [[despite what some may think... LOL), but I became more familiar with our capital in the 60s and 70s, spending more time living and working there.

This is really a very interesting clip, especially seeing the old shop frontages, the models of cars and the fashions of the pedestrians [[or should that be 'pedestrian fashions'......?!)

However...London in those days was quite grey and drab in colour [[also noisy and with unclean air) and not possessing quite the rosy, Hollywood glow which the enhancement has given to the clip. The movements of the pedestrians all seem to have a computer-generated, choreographed manner. Everyone seems to be moving as though orchestrated by an unseen director. Love the piece of music - I should do, as it was chosen for my own business...even though the rhythm of the peaceful, meandering melody really doesn't summon up the spirit of London at any time in history. London has always bustled, although in a smaller way than American cities. And yes, it is impossible not to watch and think how much has changed - for better, as well as worse.

That said, the clip is very successful in summoning up a charming, picture book image of London from over half a century ago and, in that respect, it is successful. I'd not seen it before, so I'm pleased to have the opportunity!

It's essentially West London...the posh part of town. We on the East side suffered bad bombing in the 2nd World War

Ah!, there you are! I wondered when you were going to show up.....LOL

That's very true. The real 'spirit' of London was to be found in the people who lived and worked on the East side of the city and, in many ways, probably still is.

I worked on the western side, which was indeed the 'top show' side. There were superficial appearances to be kept, protocol to be maintained. While it was glamorous and exciting, and I did feel at home there, it didn't have the soul of the East End.

The soul of the East End is shrinking quickly and it's being replaced by a a multi-culture society where folk do not communicate with each other cos they don't speak the same language.

A very sad but true statement.

I've also loved Terence Davies' films on growing up in Liverpool, both DISTANT VOICES, STILL LIVES [[1988) and THE LONG DAY CLOSES [[1992). Both really affected me and left a lasting impression.

But Davies' documentary from 2008 about his life in Liverpool should not be overlooked: OF TIME AND THE CITY--72 mins. of extraordinary remembrance, observation, and deeply personal perspective. Very, very special. Truly unique. What a remarkable sensibility Davies has.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    I've also loved Terence Davies' films on growing up in Liverpool, both DISTANT VOICES, STILL LIVES [[1988) and THE LONG DAY CLOSES [[1992). Both really affected me and left a lasting impression.

But Davies' documentary from 2008 about his life in Liverpool should not be overlooked: OF TIME AND THE CITY--72 mins. of extraordinary remembrance, observation, and deeply personal perspective. Very, very special. Truly unique. What a remarkable sensibility Davies has.
    Thanks for that i was going to ask about Liverpool links,strange i have never been to London though visited Detroit Washington dc NY and all places London just does nothing for me,cheers

Andy! I'm gutted!

I've been to Liverpool.....not often I admit but I have been there!

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Andy! I'm gutted!

I've been to Liverpool.....not often I admit but I have been there!
    AGHH John no reflection on you,just that Liverpool is such a fantastic city and don't need to travel to London been through on tube-Euston station also been to Ealing for a wedding doo and l lived in East Sussex for 4 years also driven through city in car but never physically walked through London itself,don't take to heart someday maybe,cheers my friend....