[REMOVE ADS]

Someday We'll Be Together featured on GLEE Finale

I gave up watching this show a few years ago, but watched it recently when it featured Carol Burnette and will watch the series finale this Friday when they feature my favorite Supremes song, Someday We'll Be Together.

Here is an audio preview of the song
    http://www.tvguide.com/news/glee-ser...s=breakingnews

Nice how they edit the Supremes out. Yeah, yeah, I know the Andantes are on Someday, but very few people knew that until a few years ago. Given all the revisionism, it would have been nice for them to actually use the song's full group title.

It's a good version though. And Diana's songs are notoriously hard to cover.

For long time fans, it's tough when the Supremes are left out or overlooked. At least Mary still has Marv cheering for her.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It's a good version though. And Diana's songs are notoriously hard to cover.

For long time fans, it's tough when the Supremes are left out or overlooked. At least Mary still has Marv cheering for her.
    Its called "revisionism" regardless of behavior on this board, which I can't believe Ms. Wilson supports. Denying the place of the Supremes is just as bad as being savagely against one of the Supremes, which Ms. Ross was. I love her solo work, but diminishing the Supremes does not make her better [[or vice versa).

She diminished them? All she did was leave them.

At the BET Awards she said every time you honour her, you honour the entire Motown Family and she singled out the Supremes and especially Mary Wilson.

Maybe you mean she diminished them because she didn't show at the Rock Music Hall Awards and maybe some other Supreme Awards. The trouble is if she shows, there'll be a big fuss over her and there would be people around, like at Motown 25, that couldn't tell the other Supremes from a Vandella, a Marvelette or any other "ette". And then there are just more hurt feelings.

She diminished them? All she did was leave them.

At the BET Awards she said every time you honour her, you honour the entire Motown Family and she singled out the Supremes and especially Mary Wilson.

Maybe you mean she diminished them because she didn't show at the Rock Music Hall Awards and maybe some other Supreme Awards. The trouble is if she shows, there'll be a big fuss over her and there would be people around, like at Motown 25, that couldn't tell the other Supremes from a Vandella, a Marvelette or any other "ette". And then there are just more hurt feelings.
    What?
    I think I used an indefinite pronoun [[the "her" in the last sentence). I never meant to say Diana Ross diminished them. I meant that the writer of the article did. The writer of the article diminished the Supremes like certain members of this board do to Ms. Ross. Neither behavior is respectful of the Supremes.
    Edit: No. I dropped the noun before "diminishing". Should be "The writer of the article diminishing..."
    Last edited by thanxal; 03-16-2015 at 06:15 PM.

The writer of the article probably doesn't even know the definition of diminish. Lately, so many articles that I read about the Supremes have inaccuracies. The writers of these articles are young, did not live in the era that they are writing about, and do not bother to do the research.

Even though we know that no other Supreme but Diana was on the record, SOMEDAY is a Supremes record, not a Diana Ross record.

And if the writer, Kate Stanhope, had done her research, she would have known that Someday was not released in 1961 as she inaccurately stated in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

And if the writer, Kate Stanhope, had done her research, she would have known that Someday was not released in 1961 as she inaccurately stated in the article.
    But "Someday We'll Be together" was released in 1961- just not by Diana Ross & the Supremes.
    Johnny [[Bristol) and Jackey [[Beavers) , two of the song's composers released the original version on Tri-Phi 1005 in 1961..

Do you know that Billboard dropped crediting Diana Ross & the Supremes with #1 records for Love Child and Someday We'll Be Together and credited those to Diana Ross solo?

Do you know that Billboard dropped crediting Diana Ross & the Supremes with #1 records for Love Child and Someday We'll Be Together and credited those to Diana Ross solo?
    I believe under the rules, they both get credit.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    But "Someday We'll Be together" was released in 1961- just not by Diana Ross & the Supremes.
    Johnny [[Bristol) and Jackey [[Beavers) , two of the song's composers released the original version on Tri-Phi 1005 in 1961..
    Mercedes delivers a powerhouse rendition of Ross' 1961 hit "Someday We'll Be Together

Ross' hit of Someday was not released in 61 nor was it credited to Ross but to The Supremes.

Poor research .

Really ? Billboard or Joel Whitman who compiles his lists using Billboard Charts?

If that is true, then there is a Gladys Knight & The Pips record where only Gladys sings and there is a Righteous Brothers record where only one "brother" sings. They should change those credits too. And isn't there a Mama's and Papa's record with only Mama Cass singing?

Mercedes delivers a powerhouse rendition of Ross' 1961 hit "Someday We'll Be Together

Ross' hit of Someday was not released in 61 nor was it credited to Ross but to The Supremes.

Poor research .
    It is credited to both Diana Ross and The Supremes.

Really ? Billboard or Joel Whitman who compiles his lists using Billboard Charts?

If that is true, then there is a Gladys Knight & The Pips record where only Gladys sings and there is a Righteous Brothers record where only one "brother" sings. They should change those credits too. And isn't there a Mama's and Papa's record with only Mama Cass singing?
    The rule is about "billing". If you are featured by name on a song you get credit. Just like that new Rihanna song "Four Five Seconds". It is billed as Rihanna, Kanye West, and Paul McCartney [[who just plays the guitar). They all get credit. Regarding "Love Child" and "Someday We'll be together" it is credited to Diana Ross AND the Supremes.

I think you guys are right; Whitburn credited them both which is what makes sense.

Wow! Even though no one can touch Ross/Supremes, that was amazing.

I wonder why they keep advertising Diana's Venetian Room engagement because the Las Vegas Sun posted last week that 95% of the tickets were soldout [[approximately 18,000 tickets....the room only holds 1400 seats)? Usually, you can suspend advertising if it is not needed. Nearly every website I go to there is a banner.

Mercedes does a commendable performance. My all time favorite version though is the Frankie Knuckles dub promo CD single. It is a tad slower than the versions associated with the "Forever, Diana" mixes. The vocals are a little sparse, but, the mix is soooo much fun.

That is me playing guitar vibrato parts and back beats on 'Someday We Will Be Together".

Johnny Bristol hired Maxine and Julia Waters of the famous The Waters who have sung backup for countless artists [[Google them) to sing the background on 'Someday.' It's not the Andantes nor any of the Supremes.