[REMOVE ADS]

Janis Gaye: We won't sue Pharrell for "Happy"

Janis Gaye: Family has no plan to sue over 'Happy'

Susan Whitall, The Detroit News 6:13 p.m. EDT March 13, 2015

As far as those reports about Marvin Gaye's family intending to sue Pharrell Williams over his Grammy-winning song "Happy," believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear.

After Tuesday's decision by a federal jury in Los Angeles that the Robin Thicke/Pharrell Williams song "Blurred Lines" infringed upon Marvin Gaye's 1977 hit "Got to Give it Up," a reporter asked if the family thought "Happy" sounded like Gaye's 1965 song "Ain't That Peculiar."

Still emotional over the verdict, the Motown legend's daughter, Nona, and ex-wife Janis Gaye agreed when asked if they heard similarities between the two songs.

However, no legal action is planned against Williams, insisted Janis Gaye.

"We're not contemplating any claims against Pharrell and 'Happy' at all," she said in a telephone interview Friday with The Detroit News. "None. I can't think of anything that could be further from the truth.

"We're just content with the fact that eight jurors felt the same way that we did, that there were substantial similarities [[between "Blurred Lines" and "Got to Give it Up"), and that we won the case. We're happy that Marvin's legacy has been protected."

Reportedly Williams and Thicke will appeal the $7.4 million "Blurred Lines" verdict.

swhitall@detroitnews.com

twitter.com/swhitall

Maybe it's just me, but I hear traces of Going To A Go Go in Happy...

Hmmm if there is an appeal this thing could stay wrapped up in court for years.

Quote Originally Posted by justanothermotownfan View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I hear traces of Going To A Go Go in Happy...
    Lol I hear a Curtis Mayfield influence in Happy...

Uh hello!!! Of course they can't sue Pharrell, Marvin didn't write the fucking song!

LOL, at Jill!

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Uh hello!!! Of course they can't sue Pharrell, Marvin didn't write the fucking song!
    Lmao... about everyone on this board is pretty much in agreement with that. But some were acting like they were gonna go ahead with it... which would've been silly anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Exactly _

if anyone should sue for "happy " it should be these guys....................

https://youtu.be/5FBN47jTn7w

I'm confused as to how winning the case "protects Marvin's legacy"?

If anything, "Blurred Lines" has helped introduce Marvin's music to a whole new generation. That alone helps CONTINUE his legacy. Janis and Nona should be kissing Pharrell and Robin on both sets of cheeks.

And this talk of "Happy" and "ATP". Like Nell Carter said: GIVE ME A BREAK.