[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Your post is one of my favorites and a long long long long time as I love your alternative lyrics…… I don't know if I like them better but I love the fact that you thought them up and share them with us thank you!… I do disagree with you however about the sound of the Supremes as I don't feel the public gave a damn van for now as to what voices they were hearing as long as they liked what they were hearing… The Temptations had chiller records out with david, Eddie, Paul, Dennis, duets and all five singing lead… I just think that as much as I do 'like' this record, Mary could have enunciated a little better and maybe been slightly less hushed in her delivery, Jean a lot less strident in her delivery - as the diversity of the two sounds is a little jarring… and the harmony, while I don't think it's as bad as you do, doesn't sound like something that was going to drive the general public to it. That being said, I still do play and enjoy this record. QUOTE=Boogiedown;412797]Imagine me and you , I do

And
    a whatever attitude wouldn't include having the vice president of the company coming up with a song for you , would it?

Here're my thoughts:
    The song starts out with this huskier than expected voice, making it clear that when it comes to The Supremes , there's a new lead in town . Then just as I'm adjusting to that, in comes a Diana Ross-ish voice that washes over it . So which is it ? are we moving on to a new Supremes sound , or are we still going to maintain a Diana Ross-like vocal presence?? Besides why isn't Mary just allowed to sing the entire song , this is a first person perspective being sung directly to a guy. [[ I , YOU ) Why is this other female even butting in?
    But then, Mary should be glad they didn't hinge this entire tune on her. It's pleasant enough, but there' nothing grand enough about it to carry it very far up the charts, Had only Mary been singing it , I can hear the accusations now ,about how that marks the spot of the Supremes decline.
    To make matters worse , and I'm not expecting any applause with this , but imo, they all sound terrible together on this . Those harmonies couldn't win a high school talent show , sorry!!

It's a nice song , one you might or might not switch the radio as it played. The term "automatically" sunshine needed to be reworked .

You're mine and I'm yours
    So who cares if when it rains it pours
    I'm yours and you're mine
    Automatically sunshine,

how about :

[[we're always basking in...) ?
    [[our only weather is... ) ?
    [[for us it's constantly...) ?

I think about you day and night
    it's only right
    [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post

Your post is one of my favorites and a long long long long time as I love your alternative lyrics…… I don't know if I like them better but I love the fact that you thought them up and share them with us thank you!… I do disagree with you however about the sound of the Supremes as I don't feel the public gave a damn van for now as to what voices they were hearing as long as they liked what they were hearing… The Temptations had chiller records out with david, Eddie, Paul, Dennis, duets and all five singing lead… I just think that as much as I do 'like' this record, Mary could have enunciated a little better and maybe been slightly less hushed in her delivery, Jean a lot less strident in her delivery - as the diversity of the two sounds is a little jarring… and the harmony, while I don't think it's as bad as you do, doesn't sound like something that was going to drive the general public to it. That being said, I still do play and enjoy this record.
    thanks MotownManiac for thinking so highly of it , even though you don't agree with any of it lol!!!

I agree that shared leads can be terrific and can greatly add to a song's interpretation [[ Spinners!) JUST MY IMAGINATION is a classic example and why do I think it works there where it doesn't work as well here? One reason: because in MY IMAGINATION the woman isn't being addressed directly [[ She , her , she ) each member can sing about "her" from a dreamy distance . In AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE , the scenario is directly sung to [[ instead of "about" ) someone "you and me" so , imo it makes more sense for just one person to sing the lyrics, or it could be a great duo, a male and female singing back and forth about their automatically sunshine relationship. Does that makes sense , maybe not. And I agree, does the average record buyer stop to worry about such nuances , likely not.

Also "AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE" as a title, I think looks great in print , its just that when its actually sung in the context of this song, that it comes across sounding awkward imo, and that's why I was suggesting some alternative options .