[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes performing Stoned Love in Japan

From 1973:

Love Jean's voice here. This lineup was tight for as long as it lasted. Y'all better sang it...

That whistle note beginning at :11 is TIGHT.

2:21 is pure bliss.

Jean knocks this one out of the ballpark.

Mary and Lynda could be a little stronger with their tone and blend, but otherwise good.

I don't like the sped-up tempo, but the key change is great.

The ending, though, is my favorite. One of my favorite tags!

^ Yeah I live for Jean in this performance. I agree, it's a bit too fast lol

I think the whistle note was Lynda's, no?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    ^ Yeah I live for Jean in this performance. I agree, it's a bit too fast lol

I think the whistle note was Lynda's, no?
    I would imagine. Mary's voice, while quite lovely, doesn't have the same bell-like resonance Cindy and Lynda had in their 'soprano' ranges.

There is a certain unique quality abt Mary's voice that seems to tie things together. I missed it on the later Sups recordings. Jean hits it outta the park on this one. The sweetness if her voice is so pleasing and different. She can sing!

The Supremes Mary Jean and Lynda sound great on the whole,Live in Japan Album,they blend well together.

They always seem to speed up the performance of their hits in those days which is why I really enjoy how Mary Wilson performs songs like "Stoned Love" in her concerts today. Her musicians stick to the original arrangements and Mary with the original lyrics and it sounds great!

She sticks to the original arrangement on Nathan Jones too!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They always seem to speed up the performance of their hits in those days which is why I really enjoy how Mary Wilson performs songs like "Stoned Love" in her concerts today. Her musicians stick to the original arrangements and Mary with the original lyrics and it sounds great!
    Mary doesn't perform "Stoned Love" or "Nathan Jones" in concert and I've seen her at least 5 times in the last 5 years. I've attended her jazz concert, her tribute show to Lena Horne and her oldies concert - no 70s Supremes recordings!

Wrong. I have seen her perform both songs twice. But yes I agree that 70's songs are not the focus. Too bad cause she does a bang up job. Her background singers sound really good. When she does the "hoo hoo" background it is like the original recording; very surreal.

She performed it in the '80s but I don't know about recent? Unless she gets requests to do them or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryon6 View Post
    Mary doesn't perform "Stoned Love" or "Nathan Jones" in concert and I've seen her at least 5 times in the last 5 years. I've attended her jazz concert, her tribute show to Lena Horne and her oldies concert - no 70s Supremes recordings!
    She sang it [["Stoned Love") for me at her seaside show at Coney Island.

She doesn't do Supremes songs in her Lena Horne show and only sings "My World Is Empty Without You" in her "Up Close" jazz concerts.

On her UK tour 3 years ago... Mary performed , in full, Nathan Jones, Floy Joy, Bad Weather and Stoned Love- in their original arrangements

That was 3 years ago. Marv stated "which is why I really enjoy how Mary Wilson performs songs like "Stoned Love" in her concerts today".

Is there a clip of Mary singing Stoned Love from that UK tours 3 years ago ? of so can you post a link thanks

supremester Guest
    She sang "Bad Weather" for me at her Up Close Show at Feinsteins.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She doesn't do Supremes songs in her Lena Horne show and only sings "My World Is Empty Without You" in her "Up Close" jazz concerts.