[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross RCA Anthology

The RCA Years is by far my favorite and most played collection of her music but I feel a lot of great tracks are missing. If an anthology were to be released what would you like to see featured?

The unreleased Harold Arlen album, definitely!

With the recent release of all of Diana's RCA albums as expanded editions , I really don't think we will ever see anything else coming from RCA. If there were unreleased tracks available, I assume this is the time they would have come out.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    The unreleased Harold Arlen album, definitely!
    But it would be nice if the Harold Arlen tracks showed up one day. I never knew about that until the recent re-releases.

Another vote for the Harold Arlen album!

And here's my vote for Harold' Arlen! That's it. It's SETTLED! Bring on the CD, RCA!

Yes ... Harold Arlen. Been waiting for years!!

From what I recall of the "Harold Arlen album" story. Diana didn't turn it over to RCA to issue, so it never had a label associated with it. Wouldn't it be up to Diana to seek out a label now to issue it. If that's the case, I would think she would be easier to get it digitally done by amazon or I-tunes

I've always wondered -- and I say this with all-due respect -- Diana has invested her monies very wisely over the years, and she is considered a highly successful business woman. Given her lucrative funds, and, regardless of whether or not she is currently signed to a record label, couldn't Diana afford to finance her own CD release on her own label if she so chooses? We all know that entertaining is still in Diana's blood. [[Her highly-acclaimed 2014-2015 tour and accompanying, glowing reviews prove it.) It seems to me that releasing the Harold Arlen album on her own might easily be an option. And, if she were inclined to record an album of new material, she could do it all on her own terms, however she wants, whenever the wants, and take her time doing it. Am I being realistic, or is it just wishful thinking?

I thought I had heard that Diana tried to get Motown to release the Harold Arlen album around the time of Stolen Moments. Someone said Diana was upset that they did not release it. The rumor at the time was It was recorded at Motown. But maybe she just wanted them to release it.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 03-04-2015 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I thought I had heard that Diana tried to get Motown to release the Harold Arlen album around the time of Stolen Moments. Someone said Diana was upset that they did not release it. I thought I had heard that Diana tried to get Motown to release the Harold Arlen album around the time of Stolen Moments. Someone said Diana was upset that they did not release it. The rumor at the time was It was recorded at Motown. But maybe she just wanted them to release it.
    Right on! Look what happened when BLUE was initially released in Starbucks!! The sales were excellent even before it hit other outlets.

I have said it before: With the huge success of Diana's tours in the last couple of years and with performances on American Idol, Christmas in Washington, the Grammy Lifetime Achievement and Kennedy Center awards, etc., why no product has been released is beyond my understanding. Even a new, updated box set would be in order!!! Unbelievable to me!

Starbucks sold out of Blue; I believe Blue sold abt 100,000 copies in the US. These days what constitutes a successful CD? Might be hard to say bc of downloads. How things have changed!

alanbill1074 Guest
    Diana Ross must be a multi-multi-multi millionaire. Even if she invested her profits from just a couple of live shows she could probably make a new recording a reality. I suspect that it is more about the promotional machinery involved in generating sales that puts her off releasing her own music, as that's about the only thing a big label brings to the table these days if you can finance your own recordings. I'm not saying she couldn't employ people to do this, but I can't imagine, at 71, she wants to be doing that kind of faffing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I've always wondered -- and I say this with all-due respect -- Diana has invested her monies very wisely over the years, and she is considered a highly successful business woman. Given her lucrative funds, and, regardless of whether or not she is currently signed to a record label, couldn't Diana afford to finance her own CD release on her own label if she so chooses? We all know that entertaining is still in Diana's blood. [[Her highly-acclaimed 2014-2015 tour and accompanying, glowing reviews prove it.) It seems to me that releasing the Harold Arlen album on her own might easily be an option. And, if she were inclined to record an album of new material, she could do it all on her own terms, however she wants, whenever the wants, and take her time doing it. Am I being realistic, or is it just wishful thinking?
    You are being realistic and thinking wishfully! I think a lot of the heritage recording artists are discouraged by the state of the recording industry nowadays; it's so different than what we/they experienced for so many decades. I know Stevie Nicks [[who, thankfully, still releases) has frequently mentioned how dissappointing to spend so much energy on a release to see it chart high then sink like a stone. I would think Ms. Ross is a bit discouraged by the low-chart performance of many of the excellent RCA releases. So let's keep our fingers crossed for a Anaid Records release of the Harold Arlen material!