[REMOVE ADS]

supremester Guest

Top 40 Girl Group Songs Of All Time

Everything you'd expect - about where you'd expect it [[except no No Matter What Sign You Are) DR&TS are well represented........ but no Martha ; [[[[[[

http://www.billboard.com/articles/po...ime?page=0%2C0

These may be the top 40 HITS, but I can come up with at least a hundred better tracks [[none from the 80s or 90s) than some of these!

Who the heck compiled this half-assed list?!!! Not one single Phil Spector group mentioned! Anybody who grew up during the REAL girl-group era of the early-to-mid 1960's knows that the Philles artists [[The Crystals, The Ronettes, and Darlene Love) and Motown's female groups were the sound that nearly ALL other record companies, producers, and girl groups tried to emulate. Very few Supremes titles included here, no Martha & The Vandellas, and not a single Marvelettes recording. What a shame! I'll bet 'cha the list was created by somebody very young and current who doesn't know diddly-crap about the Girl-Group era, and who considers Phil Spector and Motown music from the 1950's "Doo Wop" era. Never mind the fact that they're off by a decade! How frustrating and annoying when ignorance tries to re-write history and gets away with it.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 03-03-2015 at 01:09 AM.

That list is so preposterous that I did not even read it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Who the heck compiled this half-assed list?!!! Not one single Phil Spector group mentioned! Anybody who grew up during the REAL girl-group era of the early-to-mid 1960's knows that the Philles artists [[The Crystals, The Ronettes, and Darlene Love) and Motown's female groups were the sound that nearly ALL other record companies, producers, and girl groups tried to emulate. Very few Supremes titles included here, no Martha & The Vandellas, and not a single Marvelettes recording. What a shame! I'll bet 'cha the list was created by somebody very young and current who doesn't know diddly-crap about the Girl-Group era, and who considers Phil Spector and Motown music from the 1950's "Doo Wop" era. Never mind the fact that they're off by a decade! How frustrating and annoying when ignorance tries to re-write history and gets away with it.
    It's based on chart statistics on the POP charts - as Martha Reeves & the Vandellas did not make a number one on those charts for instance - rather than bias - other than "equitable representation of biggest hits from each era" thing - for better, or worse - as really, I really don't care about TLC, Destiny's Child, Pussycat Dolls, Go-Gos, Spice Girls, a few others from the 80s-today either.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 03-03-2015 at 01:24 AM.

Heck Postman, Heatwave, Dancing in the Street are basically American anthems and peppered throughout so many motion pictures! Seriously, We Got the Beat or whatever it is called.......I must be getting too old.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Who the heck compiled this half-assed list?!!! Not one single Phil Spector group mentioned!
    And, a whole lot more from the golden era of the girl groups are missing. But, consider that they compiled the list from chart action, not popularity or quality. Consider this from the article:

Note: This ranking is based on actual performance on the weekly Billboard Hot 100 chart through the tally dated March 7, 2015. Songs are ranked based on an inverse point system, with weeks at No. 1 earning the greatest value and weeks at No. 100 earning the least. To ensure equitable representation of the biggest hits from each era, certain time frames were weighted to account for the difference between turnover rates from those years.
    So, there you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Heck Postman, Heatwave, Dancing in the Street are basically American anthems and peppered throughout so many motion pictures! Seriously, We Got the Beat or whatever it is called.......I must be getting too old.
    Well, I hate to say it [[not really ), but you guys are of an older generation, and you prefer soul music, which is why you're here, right? You just didn't keep up with pop music. I like a lot of the pop songs that came out 1981-present, and a lot of them are pretty damn good!

Now, I prefer "Our Lips Are Sealed" to "We Got The Beat", but I really love the Bangles.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Well, I hate to say it [[not really ), but you guys are of an older generation, and you prefer soul music, which is why you're here, right? You just didn't keep up with pop music. I like a lot of the pop songs that came out 1981-present, and a lot of them are pretty damn good!

Now, I prefer "Our Lips Are Sealed" to "We Got The Beat", but I really love the Bangles.
    I may have missed it, but was "We Are Family" on their list?

I don't come from an older generation, but I don't identify with groups like Destiny's Child, TLC, or the Go-Go's, who fall closer to my generation than those groups of the sixties. The trouble is, as you said, that they have come to these conclusions based purely off of statistical data. They merely looked for any "girl group" act, not counting the fact that these groups are vastly different from each other in style and genre. When you have such disparity in styles categorized together, there's bound to be disagreement from a lot of people as to who is considered the best.

Stupid ass list.

Penny

I can only assume this ranking must be based on sales numbers, and numbers like that would be rather hard to correlate since recorded music sales have changed so radically over the past couple of decades.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I may have missed it, but was "We Are Family" on their list?
    I don't remember seeing it, but that was such a monster hit, I don't see how it didn't make it. But, I also noticed that almost nothing from the 70s made the list.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    I don't come from an older generation, but I don't identify with groups like Destiny's Child, TLC, or the Go-Go's, who fall closer to my generation than those groups of the sixties. The trouble is, as you said, that they have come to these conclusions based purely off of statistical data. They merely looked for any "girl group" act, not counting the fact that these groups are vastly different from each other in style and genre. When you have such disparity in styles categorized together, there's bound to be disagreement from a lot of people as to who is considered the best.
    I am in my early 50s. I keep up with music. I like a couple of Destiny's Child's songs, as well as several others from the early 00s.

I don't think it's a matter of identifying with something. All you have to do is like the way something sounds. But, all this is moot. The list is based on chart data, not what people think should be. A lot of music in the 90s and beyond sold phenomenally well, and many of the songs surpassed the sales success of songs that came out in the 60s and 70s, the era in which we grew up.

I like music from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and today. So, I take the list for what it is. It's not going to stop my world.

supremester Guest
    It's just a chart fact list - it has nothing to do with what's "good" and what isn't - just what was popular.

It's always real fun when folks make thier own top forty list.

I don't remember seeing it, but that was such a monster hit, I don't see how it didn't make it. But, I also noticed that almost nothing from the 70s made the list.
    Agreed. Sister Sledge's "We Are Family" is conspicuously absent. It peaked at No.2 pop and was culturally ubiquitous for years and years. I'm also surprised that "Slow Hand" ranks higher than "I'm So Excited" which was a megahit with two separate Top 40 chart runs.

I am in my early 50s. I keep up with music. I like a couple of Destiny's Child's songs, as well as several others from the early 00s.

I don't think it's a matter of identifying with something. All you have to do is like the way something sounds. But, all this is moot. The list is based on chart data, not what people think should be. A lot of music in the 90s and beyond sold phenomenally well, and many of the songs surpassed the sales success of songs that came out in the 60s and 70s, the era in which we grew up.

I like music from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and today. So, I take the list for what it is. It's not going to stop my world.
    Agree. And while some songs may have had a huge chart impact and sold millions and millions, it doesn't always mean they last, don't get dated or have a big cultural impact.

But it is a fact that Beyoncé has had a huge cultural impact and sold a lot of music.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    But it is a fact that Beyoncé has had a huge cultural impact and sold a lot of music.
    Uh...what??? The only big solo hit Beyonce ever really had was "Crazy In Love". That's about the only cultural impact she ever really had, aside from the drama with her dormer group Destiny's Child.