[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Valerie Simpson

Valerie Simpson

Release of Valerie Simpson's album outputs is well overdue on CD I think. How about a set with all her Tamla albums plus the un-released Nick and Val album?

Yes it is long overdue.

Sounds good to me, too, mysterysinger. I already have all of the tracks from Valerie's two Motown solo albums on a compilation CD, but it would be great to have the graphic artwork from "Exposed" and "Valerie Simpson" back intact again. The unreleased duet album, of course, would be super! Nick & Val have got my vote! - Gary

I would love to have Motown's unreleased album,by Ashford and Simpson too.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I would love to have Motown's unreleased album,by Ashford and Simpson too.
    Was there anything released in 2011 following the death of Nick Ashford?

I haven't but have any of you checked out Val's lastest album "Dinosaurs Are Coming Back Again"?

http://valeriesimpson.net/

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Release of Valerie Simpson's album outputs is well overdue on CD I think. How about a set with all her Tamla albums plus the un-released Nick and Val album?
    I would LOVE it! Plus a dvd [[or at least cd) of the Ashford & Simpson appearance on PBS' "Soul"!

When A & S hit the charts with "Solid", I would have thought most of those hidden gems would have surfaced. They didn't sooooooooo do they really exist ?

I just love me some Nick and Val! I would be over the moon to hear the Motown duet LP. In my humble opinion Ms. Simpsons 2 solo albums were masterpieces. However on the released duets they did, it seemed that she blended in with the late, great, Mr. Ashford. Or in other words, held back, because she could sing! Sadly, Nick was more of a stylist. Therefore, the timeline of the unreleased Motown session are of interest to me because at that point the voices were more evenly matched.

Dinosaurs Are Coming Back Again is easily in the upper 50% of anything they ever produced. I also think a lot of folks, myself included, sleep on Nicks lyrics. An economical, and to the point, hip, but not trendy style that takes you places you my not have been to, but is not over your head.

Well, well, well..... No sooner said than done - well almost - coming soon from Soul Music Records, a 2 on 1 release of "Exposed" and "Valerie Simpson" - yippee.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 03-11-2015 at 03:19 PM.

CD Artwork

Name:  vslps.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  84.4 KB

I was pretty sure I already had the Motown/ Spectrum release The Collection, which was her two Tamla albums. In checking, I also found I have a Best of Valerie Simpson put together by George Solomon, which is the first Tamla LP and 5 tracks from the second. I had forgotten about that. Now this new release that is coming.... I'm wondering what is the bonus track. Also, George Solomon! I know those compilations you put together sometimes had surprises on them. Do you remember if there are any on the Valerie Simpson cd?

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I was pretty sure I already had the Motown/ Spectrum release The Collection, which was her two Tamla albums. In checking, I also found I have a Best of Valerie Simpson put together by George Solomon, which is the first Tamla LP and 5 tracks from the second. I had forgotten about that. Now this new release that is coming.... I'm wondering what is the bonus track. Also, George Solomon! I know those compilations you put together sometimes had surprises on them. Do you remember if there are any on the Valerie Simpson cd?
    I hope that is not "Remember Me" as we have already had that.

Exposed was an excellent album; it matched the albums of any female singer that year.

Yeah, Mysterysinger, you were just wishing for this! I think you’re bringin’ us good luck here! Please – keep it up! Next you can wish for G.C. Cameron’s "You’re What’s Missing In My Life" CD. We'll see if it works! - Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 03-13-2015 at 12:29 PM.

Another wish would be the Syreeta and G.C.Cameron album,Rich Love,Poor Love on cd,that was a good album,plus they sounded great together.

Another wish would be the Syreeta and G.C.Cameron album,Rich Love,Poor Love on cd,that was a good album,plus they sounded great together.
    REDHOT, Universal Japan released Syreeta & G.C.'s "Rich Love, Poor Love" on CD this past year. - Gary

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+gc+cameron+cd

Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 03-12-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Well, well, well..... No sooner said than done - well almost - coming soon from Soul Music Records, a 2 on 1 release of "Exposed" and "Valerie Simpson" - yippee.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    Nothing new here. This is just a re-run of the "Valarie Simpson The Collection" CD release in the UK in 2004. [[currently selling on Amazon for £17.49). The CD contained both of Valerie' Motown albums in their entirety, track-by-track. Would have been good if some unreleased tracks were included.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Nothing new here. This is just a re-run of the "Valarie Simpson The Collection" CD release in the UK in 2004. [[currently selling on Amazon for £17.49). The CD contained both of Valerie' Motown albums in their entirety, track-by-track. Would have been good if some unreleased tracks were included.
    Well, to be fair, the cover art does state that it includes one bonus track.

See this is what I don't get....they can issue albums like this that have already been basically released on a budget U.K label but they cant release other Motown albums by bigger artists because theres not a market for it !!!!!!....and there is a market for releases like these?...I was really excited when I saw the thread because I thought we were going to get something diff...o.k so one bonus track and we all know what that will be...I just don't get it.

Valerie Simpson posts are popular. Maybe the CD will sell well.

Lets hope so. I saw the Spectrum release in my local market a few months after it was released...they were almost giving it away, they had so many copies. Too bad that I already bought mine at top price!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Lets hope so. I saw the Spectrum release in my local market a few months after it was released...they were almost giving it away, they had so many copies. Too bad that I already bought mine at top price!
    I just searched for it in my orders. In 2009, several years after its release, I finally bought it from Amazon - brand new - for £2.98 [[with free postage). At some point it finally sold out, but I doubt that used copies were difficult to find.

I don't understand the choice, considering the many fine Motown albums which have never appeared on cd. Given that this will apparently have only one bonus track, I don't plan to buy it.
    Last edited by calvin; 04-21-2015 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    I just searched for it in my orders. In 2009, several years after its release, I finally bought it from Amazon - brand new - for £2.98 [[with free postage). At some point it finally sold out, but I doubt that used copies were difficult to find.

I don't understand the choice, considering the many fine Motown albums which have never appeared on cd. Given that this will apparently have only one bonus track, I don't plan to buy it.
    On the cover of the release it says bonus "TRACKS"...not track.

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    On the cover of the release it says bonus "TRACKS"...not track.
    Take a closer look at the bottom of the cover - it says "INCLUDES BONUS TRACK" - it's singular.

Only £5.99 on pre-order at Amazon UK so I think it is well worth it. OK I have the Spectrum CD and the bonus track may end up being simply a single mix of one of the other tracks, but I will welcome the original artwork too.

Hard to tell with these things but the Spectrum Valerie Simpson release seems to attract fairly high prices. Also, I can't understand, really, why the expanded edition of Tata Vega's "Totally Tata" commands such high prices such a short time after release [["Full Speed Ahead" being more reasonable). Generally the rule is don't buy it and live to regret it later because you can't then afford it.

Incidentally, there cannot be many Tamla label albums that haven't yet seen some form of CD release [[most with original artwork) or download release. Willie Tyler and Lester [[265) and Shadee [[368) spring to mind, maybe a couple of Miracles [[ex Smokey) albums.What else?

Take a closer look at the bottom of the cover - it says "INCLUDES BONUS TRACK" - it's singular.
    Ooops....sorry...you are very right!

1. Different cover art.
    http://www.resident-music.com/produc...oduct_id=34841

2. Odd that this CD is on a few different vendors' sites but not yet on David Nathan's Soul Music Records site.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    1. Different cover art.
    http://www.resident-music.com/produc...oduct_id=34841

2. Odd that this CD is on a few different vendors' sites but not yet on David Nathan's Soul Music Records site.
    Ooops....sorry...you are very right!
    Johnny, you are also right! It does say "BONUS TRACKS" [[plural) on the picture that Longtimefan linked. I guess we'll know soon.

The cover sure looks like SoulMusic, but the label given on Amazon is "Caroline".
    Last edited by calvin; 04-22-2015 at 02:01 AM.

Where is David Nathan's site.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Where is David Nathan's site.
    http://www.soulmusic.com/Index.asp?s=5&T=8

Merci bien!

For some reason when i put inn soul music .com it kept coming up as an error message. But this works just fine. Thank you,

I can't find this new album on the site...I'm gonna have to wait to see the final track listing and risk a hike in price on amazon.co.uk

The bonus track is the single version of "Can't It Wait Until Tomorrow", which is on The Complete Motown Singles Vol 11B. So nothing new here.

http://www.soulmusic.com/index.asp?S=1&T=38&ART=16306

The release is from "Caroline Records [[in association with SoulMusic Records)." Caroline Records is part of the Universal Music Group. Can anyone tell us something about this arrangement, and are there more Motown releases to come?
    Last edited by calvin; 04-24-2015 at 07:59 AM.

Johnny, you are also right! It does say "BONUS TRACKS" [[plural) on the picture that Longtimefan linked. I guess we'll know soon.

The cover sure looks like SoulMusic, but the label given on Amazon is "Caroline".
    Calvin...thanks for clarifying my correctness [[*smile). I KNEW I saw it somewhere, but when I went back, I couldn't find the one I knew I saw.

Calvin...thanks for clarifying my correctness [[*smile). I KNEW I saw it somewhere, but when I went back, I couldn't find the one I knew I saw.
    That happens when you get old. But you ain't old...are you MJ!

I'll take a guess at why it was changed from "BONUS TRACKS" to "BONUS TRACK" - they probably intended to include more than one bonus track but then realized there wouldn't be enough time on a single cd, as the two albums together are already a bit more than 75 minutes.

They may have intended to include the single edits of both "Can't It Wait Until Tomorrow" and "Back To Nowhere", which differ from the LP versions. But this would have been almost 82 minutes, so too long. [[One can manufacture an audio cd of that length but it's rarely done, as some equipment struggles to read it all properly, and many cds could be returned as defective.) So by including only the single edit of "Can't It Wait..." as a bonus track, it will be less than 79 minutes and ok for a single cd.

I suppose it's good to see a couple of out-of-print albums made available again, but I have to admit that I'm disappointed. We only get a couple of Motown releases from SoulMusic each year, and this one has nothing that wasn't already available on cd fairly recently.
    Last edited by calvin; 04-24-2015 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks for the info Philles/Motown Gary,i'm buying

The release date for Valerie Simpson "Exposed/Valerie Simpson" has been put back. Amazon advise that the Estimated arrival date is June 03 2015.

Thanks for the info Philles/Motown Gary,i'm buying
    You're welcome, REDHOT. Any time.

The release date for Valerie Simpson "Exposed/Valerie Simpson" has been put back. Amazon advise that the Estimated arrival date is June 03 2015.
    That's odd, mysterysinger. I just checked Amazon [[U.S.), and our release date is still set for May 5. You went from a week ahead of us to a month behind. I betcha ours will change, too, before we're through.

Well it might be Sunday but my copy of the new CD arrived today [[31/5) from Amazon. Love the booklet. This CD is well worth every penny. Thank you Soul Music Records [[but who is Caroline?).

Did anyone buy Dinosaurs are coming back?