[REMOVE ADS]

Exclamation The supremes on the ed sullivan show in 1971?

Name:  Screenshot_2015-02-21-22-21-57.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  15.3 KB

Look this pic! This really seems Mary, Cindy and Jean to me! These woman are The Supremes or just another girl-group?

Left to Right: Cindy, Mary and Jean

Quote Originally Posted by Weslley Francisco View Post
    Name:  Screenshot_2015-02-21-22-21-57.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  15.3 KB

Look this pic! This really seems Mary, Cindy and Jean to me! These woman are The Supremes or just another girl-group?
    Those are the Three Degrees.

Three Degrees, December 6, 1970

a quick glance and i wouldve thought it was the Supremes

This is a great performance.

Lol The Supremes was never on The Ed Sullivan Show in 71 smh

The Supremes' final appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show was in 1970, I believe, when they performed "Up the Ladder" and a medley of "If My Friends Could See Me Now / Nothing Can Stop Us Now."

"Up the Ladder to the Roof"

"If My Friends Could See Me Now / Nothing Can Stop Us Now."

Thanks for posting the medley again, however this version is out of synch.

Oops! This one's better...

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Lol The Supremes was never on The Ed Sullivan Show in 71 smh
    What does smh mean?

shaking my head ... as in "The Supremes WAS ..." SMH

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    a quick glance and i wouldve thought it was the Supremes
    That was in 1971 yet some always say that the Three Degrees were more current sounding and looking than the Supremes were in the 70's. I just don't agree with that.

It was the essence of the Three Degrees that was more current than the Supremes. Just because the Supremes had an album cover wearing afros did not make them "current". The Three Degrees had that sexy 70's vibe and no matter how hard the Supremes tried, they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    It was the essence of the Three Degrees that was more current than the Supremes. Just because the Supremes had an album cover wearing afros did not make them "current". The Three Degrees had that sexy 70's vibe and no matter how hard the Supremes tried, they didn't.

Well the fact remains that the Supremes scored more top 40 hits in the 70s than any other female group on Earth! They had 8 Top 40s between 1970-77 vs the Three Degrees 1!

That is ....the Supremes 8 -------- Three Degrees 1
    Last edited by marv2; 02-23-2015 at 05:32 PM.

I have to disqualify the Three Degrees as serious competition for the Supremes. To me they tried hard to mimic the Supremes and built a solid following in Europe. Exhibit A and B!

"Mary, Scherrie & Susaye" released in 1976 and "3D" released in 1979! You will notice the obvious similarities............

Attachment 9169 Attachment 9170

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Well the fact remains that the Supremes scored more top 40 hits in the 70s than any other female group on Earth! They had 8 Top 40s between 1970-77 vs the Three Degrees 1!

That is ....the Supremes 8 -------- Three Degrees 1
    On the Hot 100 chart, they had 3 top 40 hits [[1 with MFSB) and many top 40 R & B hits

http://www.billboard.com/artist/4192...rees/biography

http://www.billboard.com/artist/4192...-degrees/chart

http://www.billboard.com/artist/2768...-degrees/chart

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    You have to eliminate anything they done in conjunction with MSFB [[unless we can include Susaye Greene's work on Stevie's "Songs In the Key of Life". Even still on Earth if one team scores 8 vs the other teams 3 the team with 8 WINS! Duh....... LOL! Try again.

You have to eliminate anything they done in conjunction with MSFB [[unless we can include Susaye Greene's work on Stevie's "Songs In the Key of Life". Even still on Earth if one team scores 8 vs the other teams 3 the team with 8 WINS! Duh....... LOL! Try again.
    MFSB was the backing band for Philly International much as the Funks were for Motown. It is not a question of winning or losing in my post, the issue for me is truth in reporting. You stated that the Three Degrees had only 1 Top 40 hit in the 1970-77 time period, which was inaccurate.

A second factor one must consider is the Three Degrees recorded at Philly International from 1973-75, a much shorter period of time. And so having 2 top 40 hits in that short period isn't really a losing hand! [[Their other Top 40 hit was in 1970 from their time with Roulette Records)

And the following excerpt also tells me that the three Degrees were winners:

"Don Cornelius, producer and host of TV's Soul Train, approached Gamble & Huff about coming up with a new theme song for his hit syndicated show. The Three Degrees were asked to do vocals at the end of the show's new theme track. After some airings, public demand forced the TV show's theme to be released as a single. "TSOP [[The Sound of Philadelphia)" by MFSB featuring the Three Degrees went gold hitting number one R&B and holding the number one pop for two weeks during spring 1974. "

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    MFSB was the backing band for Philly International much as the Funks were for Motown. It is not a question of winning or losing in my post, the issue for me is truth in reporting. You stated that the Three Degrees had only 1 Top 40 hit in the 1970-77 time period, which was inaccurate.

A second factor one must consider is the Three Degrees recorded at Philly International from 1973-75, a much shorter period of time. And so having 2 top 40 hits in that short period isn't really a losing hand! [[Their other Top 40 hit was in 1970 from their time with Roulette Records)

And the following excerpt also tells me that the three Degrees were winners:

"Don Cornelius, producer and host of TV's Soul Train, approached Gamble & Huff about coming up with a new theme song for his hit syndicated show. The Three Degrees were asked to do vocals at the end of the show's new theme track. After some airings, public demand forced the TV show's theme to be released as a single. "TSOP [[The Sound of Philadelphia)" by MFSB featuring the Three Degrees went gold hitting number one R&B and holding the number one pop for two weeks during spring 1974. "

Look, I am sure I am older than you. I lived in Philadelphia and knew a lot of people in and out of show business. We played TSOP over and over at our prom in 1974 and did the Soul Train line. The Three Degrees were never any threat or on the level of success as America's Sweethearts.....the Supremes. The Detroit girls were just too tough!

Try 12 number ones in less than 5 years and a combination of 8 top 10s, 20s, 30s and 40s in the 7 years of the 70s alone. Don't embarrass yourself.
    Last edited by marv2; 02-23-2015 at 07:45 PM.

Why cant folks just diisagree respectfully. Why tell someone that they embarrasing themself and write DUH to them. Its real rude and uncalled for imo and Ralph asked us to all get along.

It cost nothing to be nice and polite and respectful and I know ive been rude and cruel at times but yesterday at church I heard these words and theyve made me promise to be a kinder and better woman.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you"

Roberta

Look, I am sure I am older than you. I lived in Philadelphia and knew a lot of people in and out of show business. We played TSOP over and over at our prom in 1974 and did the Soul Train line. The Three Degrees were never any threat or on the level of success as America's Sweethearts.....the Supremes. The Detroit girls were just too tough!

Try 12 number ones in less than 5 years and a combination of 8 top 10s, 20s, 30s and 40s in the 7 years of the 70s alone. Don't embarrass yourself.
    If you are able to read objectively, you will notice that I never said that the Three Degrees were a threat to the Supremes, or anyone for that matter.
    For some reason, you come across as extremely defensive and often respond by belittling people when it is proven that something you have stated is not entirely accurate.
    For some reason you appear to be threatened by people whom you assume are younger than yourself- and choose to play the age card as if that makes everything you say Gospel truth.
    I'm glad that you've acknowledged the 12 number 1's of the 1960's and by implication Diana, Mary, Flo ,Cindy, the Andantes, and the Waters' great contribution to them.

Thank you, Roberta for your pointing out again the 'new, [[but actually old, in terms of human kindness & civility) rules by which Ralph has asked all of us to abide.
    However, there will always be those who feel that the rules do not apply to them.
    As Mary Wilson has recently taken a more truthful approach to past events surrounding Motown 25, it is a shame to see the viciousness of any who are whirling out of control in their inability to process, let alone accept it and who are responding with vengeful and hateful thoughts.