[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Blackguy I know 100% ,Lynda didn't leave The Supremes for that reason,i'm sure that's the reason,they wanted people to think lol,some think Lynda was a temp Supreme,not true either.when Lynda join The Supremes she was on point,just watch her with The Supremes on Soul Train,she was a real pro,plus she was good on the eye's,with a lot of class,it's a shame she didn't see the bigger picture.again Lynda was really young back then,leaving The Supremes was not a smart move,with Jean and Lynda leaving The Supremes,i bet they thought The Supremes were over,Mary Wilson is no joke,she regrouped,got Cindy Birdsong back,and a new Supreme Scherrie Payne,and kept it moving,i loved Lynda with The Supremes,and still love her today.
    Last edited by REDHOT; 02-26-2015 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    keep in mind, After All was released in the 2000s. not during the groups tenure at motown. there very well could be unreleased leads of Lynda. for instance, in their shows, Lynda would do lead on You're Nobody Until Somebody, there was her lead part in Love The One You're With and in Everybody's Got the Right. we know that the live lps often are truncated renditions of their full show. all 3 of these songs were in their act throughout 72 and 73. so for all we know, there could be tracks of these in the vaults. if you were to "count" the actual lead words she sang, it outnumbers Barbaras.

again, i'm not trying to diminish Barbara's role. just saying that ALL of the women made important contributions. and yes, some had longer tenures and therefore made more contributions.

also jean began complaining and bucking the system before Lynda joined. there was already some dissension within the group and between the group and motown. that was not caused by lynda. she entered into an existing situation. so i don't think you should imply that lynda somehow was the cause of their discussions for leaving motown. even Mary says in her book "lynda was new enough to just be excited to be there" while she was discussing jean's unhappiness
    There are no known studio recordings that Motown made using Lynda as the lead on a song. I am not interested in wasting time talking about this woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    but you cant prove it and as i said in a earlier post its been real clear for a long time that you dont like Lynda Lawrence so you have a bias imo.

Roberta
    What do I get for proving it? You sound silly LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Good Lord remember that Marv. Several of us walked out bc we couldn't hear Jean. I reminder walking down the street 2 blks away and someone said listen to that screaming. When you could hear Jean, her voice was sweet and clear. Remember when she started singing "come with me....." The crowd went crazy.
    All I know is that no one at the show I attended would even come near her afterwards ,while Jean and Scherrie were swarmed by family, friends and fans after the show.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    any of them. nor do i consider any to be friends. frankly, other than a few people like Rick, Andy and Brad, who've either worked with or for them or do actually have personal relationships with some, i'd wager that no one here is an actual "Friend" of these women.
    You would lose........................

Your here for the legacy the group and the music? That's your business. Not everyone is here for the same reasons , so just enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Blackguy I know 100% ,Lynda didn't leave The Supremes for that reason,i'm sure that's the reason,they wanted people to think lol,some think Lynda was a temp Supreme,not true either.when Lynda join The Supremes she was on point,just watch her with The Supremes on Soul Train,she was a real pro,plus she was good on the eye's,with a lot of class,it's a shame she didn't see the bigger picture.again Lynda was really young back then,leaving The Supremes was not a smart move,with Jean and Lynda leaving The Supremes,i bet they thought The Supremes were over,Mary Wilson is no joke,she regrouped,got Cindy Birdsong back,and a new Supreme Scherrie Payne,and kept it moving,i loved Lynda with The Supremes,and still love her today.
    Didnt we all make mistakes when we was younger dear redhot?

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    What do I get for proving it? You sound silly LOL!!!
    id much rather be silly than full of it lol

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    There are no known studio recordings that Motown made using Lynda as the lead on a song. I am not interested in wasting time talking about this woman.
    Really. Your not interested in Diane Ross and your not interested in Lynda Lawrence but you constatly talk about them every time they manes come up lol thanks for the chuckle.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    id much rather be silly than full of it lol

Roberta
    Roberta you have a typo you missed the SH lol

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Roberta you have a typo you missed the SH lol
    I may think it dear but i couldnt write it. lol

Roberta

Yes we all made a lot of mistakes,when we were young,and everybody has they're own opinion,and we all like who we like,there no right or wrong to it,it just how we feel,about what ever,mostly what i said are facts,not my opinion,but the truth.if Marv dislike Lynda ,i have no problem with that,that's how he feels,I love all The Supremes,no matter what.

[QUOTE=marv2;273519]Barbara sings on this song here. There are no studio recorded leads of Lynda Laurence by Motown:QUOTE]

I was thinking maybe a "Sha La Bandit", but that was a later song wasn't it. I know there's a few different versions of that with different leads. [[A silly song, in my opinion anyway, but I know a lot of people like it.)

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    not to nitpick but if im correct Pedro didnt become manager of the group til 1975. Wasnt it told that Mary met Pedro in 73. So i cant see how in that short of a period that He intergrated himself that quickly. and i thought Lynda left because she was pregnant.
    You are correct in regards to the timeline.

Good heavens, this is getting beaten to death all over again.

Jean and Lynda both left the Supremes of their own choosing. I've spoken with both ladies at length about this.

The facts are that both ladies were recently married and expecting their first babies. It is very difficult on a woman to tour the country and have a marriage and a child dependent on mom. It was a natural instinct for both women to want to nurse their babies and give them a normal life for a while. Be there for the first step. Be there for the first word. Can you blame them? Neither lady could expect Mary and Motown to just put the group on hold for a year to do this.

Secondly, both ladies gave everything they had to the group but it was obvious to them that The Supremes were finished. Their record label only had intentions at this point to keep them on as a road act. While Scherrie and later Susaye breathed new life into the group, it's true, but their successes were quite limited because the group's time had passed. History shows this. You can live with what-ifs. Nobody hated to see each lady go more than I but you have to give them the opportunity to be normal human beings and have families.

And for the record, Lynda Laurence did NOT introduce the idea of having the group leave Motown.

The Supremes were a recording act that was heavily dependent on others for their success; writers, producers, musicians, etc. This made them an expensive act at a time when record companies were going with self-contained artists who did all these things on their own. It was the end of an era for sure. And sad that it happened. But all good things do come to an end.

Would be better if some people would concentrate on today's real problems: Terrorism, lack of jobs and lack of health care. Our country is in the toilet and some people keep bitching about which Supreme did what.

Lol atcha BayouMotownMan,but ture.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I disagree with you about Lynda leaving. I think she saw the big picture, but its not the picture we imagine. By the time Lynda left, they only had a few years left, their hits were all but dried up, and the group was entirely dysfunctional. I love all the ladies, but there were a LOT of personal issues boiling in the group at that point. Lynda could have stayed, but she really didn't miss much. I LOVE the 70's Supremes, but at the time, the group was fighting a losing battle. By that time, there had been THREE replacements within a five year period [[Cindy, Jean, and now Lynda replacing a replacement). The music scene was moving farther and farther away from the girl group era, and the girls were getting left behind in the dust. If we're being realistic, there was really almost nothing left for the Supremes anymore.

Ok Antceleb,we can agree to disagree lol

I read the reason Jean left show business was because she was tired of the business. She probably had words with A&M about how her album should be promoted or what she should include in her material. She was always a JW, I think, so I doubt her religion was a reason. Motown stated Brenda Holloway left because of religion but Brenda left because of the business. The lifestyles surrounding musicians probably didn't help matters for both either.

I wasn't aware Jean had any issues with the Supremes, but I probably shouldn't be surprised. That happens with any group who goes through changes, especially away from their original intent.

Edit: now I see that Jean and Lynda were both expecting babies too? That adds a new interesting twist on things...
    Last edited by midnightman; 03-02-2015 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    There are some people who have respect for ALL the Supremes. Regardless of how long they were in the group. It is as simple as that. According to some, she is "insignificant" but they never pass up a chance to make comment about her, or take dig at her. If someone is insignificant to me, I don't waste my time thinking about them, commenting on them, or typing about them.
    Count me as one of them. They all added history to that group... in fact, the JMC lineup is second to DMF [[IMHO) as the best Supremes lineups. But they were ALL great.

All the ladies were significant and important to the continuation and legacy of the Supremes.

Jean and Lynda became JW when they were in the Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    All the were important to the continuation and legacy of the Supremes.
    All the supremes contributed to the legacy of the act from barbara martin singing on meet the supremes, dmf s legacy from 63 to 67 big boom of 15 top 40 hits, cindy coming in replacing flo thru 72, jean terrell coming in and placing 5 singles in the top 40 within 2 yrs, linda contributing to stevies bad weather and singing on the produced and jim webb album and taking the lead role on her debut in hawaii, scherrie coming in in late 73 along with cindys return, cindy exiting and finishing the high energy album with her replacement susaye coming in to front the lead track and putting backing vocals on the last top 40 single in all the supremes had 35 hot 100 singles that made thd charts and each women had a hand in it for which we as supremes fan will forever be thankful for. No other girl group c claim such a body of work.
    Last edited by franjoy56; 03-05-2015 at 08:12 PM. Reason: misspelled words

I never knew Jean was married and has a child/children...

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Jean is a Grandma.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Carlo, I believe Jean has two sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryon6 View Post
    Carlo, I believe Jean has two sons.
    Jason and Johnathan Thompson