[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Here are the Three Degrees in the 1971 film "The French Connection". I never understood when people say the Supremes at this same time needed to become more "current" like the Three Degrees [[another group formed in the early 60s) They look like they were imitating the Supremes of the 60s!:

Here they are again in 1976. Explain?

I wonder if the Jean-lead Supremes would have dropped the "image"; dropped the oooh's and aaah's and became more "current", like Honey Cone or the Three Degrees, if they would have fared better. I mean, even having to wear "old" gowns, as glamorous as they were, had to have been an insult of sorts. "Hanging on to yesterday" certainly didn't help the overall groupings, from 1970 on.

As a fan, I agree with the above. The 60's stuff, yes historic and ground breaking but....When JMC had those photos with the afros I thought wow! They looked powerful!
    However, I thought Mary said that the fans still expected the older hits. I did like the rock edged based stuff JMC did. I think those gowns dated and aged them bit. In the end they were probably caught between the old legacy market and being the new Sups.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I wonder if the Jean-lead Supremes would have dropped the "image"; dropped the oooh's and aaah's and became more "current", like Honey Cone or the Three Degrees, if they would have fared better. I mean, even having to wear "old" gowns, as glamorous as they were, had to have been an insult of sorts. "Hanging on to yesterday" certainly didn't help the overall groupings, from 1970 on.

As a fan, I agree with the above. The 60's stuff, yes historic and ground breaking but....When JMC had those photos with the afros I thought wow! They looked powerful!
    However, I thought Mary said that the fans still expected the older hits. I did like the rock edged based stuff JMC did. I think those gowns dated and aged them bit. In the end they were probably caught between the old legacy market and being the new Sups.

I agree demo. The back picture cover of "New Ways" is beautiful. Powerful. But then look at the front cover. Hot pink. 60's era gowns. With Jean, the Supremes were still doing their "show tunes" and Las Vegas lounge act. "Somewhere" was still a part of the set list; a song that had been included for at least the past 3 - 4 years. True, later on they'd include something more soulful and current like "I'll Take you There" by the Staple Singers, but for every step forward, there is a 1950's doo-wop "Cherry Pie".

I'd love to see how Jean could have tackled "What's Going On" by Marvin, "Can't Get Next to You" or "Papa" by the Temptations, or even "Signed, S, D" or "Superstation" by Stevie. Something gritty. Something soulful.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I agree demo. The back picture cover of "New Ways" is beautiful. Powerful. But then look at the front cover. Hot pink. 60's era gowns. With Jean, the Supremes were still doing their "show tunes" and Las Vegas lounge act. "Somewhere" was still a part of the set list; a song that had been included for at least the past 3 - 4 years. True, later on they'd include something more soulful and current like "I'll Take you There" by the Staple Singers, but for every step forward, there is a 1950's doo-wop "Cherry Pie".

I'd love to see how Jean could have tackled "What's Going On" by Marvin, "Can't Get Next to You" or "Papa" by the Temptations, or even "Signed, S, D" or "Superstation" by Stevie. Something gritty. Something soulful.
    Jean would not have sounded right singing those songs. Those were guy songs. They sound too masculine for the ultra feminine Jean Terrell to be singing. Tina Turner probably could have pulled them off though.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jean would not have sounded right singing those songs. Those were guy songs. They sound too masculine for the ultra feminine Jean Terrell to be singing. Tina Turner probably could have pulled them off though.
    I think she might have pulled them off though I agree Tina would be great at that material. Still, Jean sang "Love the One You're With" really well. Some singers, notably Tina and Cher, seem to excel at material written for male singers.

REDHOT you said what I have been holding in for years. This is why Gordy wanted Mary to change her mind. Jean had the pipes and the talent and the "attitude" to go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I'v said this before, Jean Terrell didn't like Show Business,Jean was gonna leave The Supremes and Motown,it wouldn't matter if they had a hit record,Jean wanted out,she wanted to blame people,including Mary Wilson and Motown,but it was her job to sing and entertain,at that time,Jean could have been a big star,if she wanted it,no one is gonna give it to you,you have to work for it,Jean didn't want to work,so she left,the solo album I Had To Fall In Love,was a good,but it never was finish,so A and M released what they had,Jean didn't promote it,no one is gonna put up with Jean's moods,not Mary Wilson not Motown not A and M records,not even Former Ladies Of The Supremes,i love Jean Terrell,but the world of Show Business was not her thing,The Supremes could have left Motown,Jean would have still left The Supremes.no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I think she might have pulled them off though I agree Tina would be great at that material. Still, Jean sang "Love the One You're With" really well. Some singers, notably Tina and Cher, seem to excel at material written for male singers.
    Thank you kenneth; I don't buy this "guy songs" BS for one minute, LOLZZZZZZZZZ! Lest we forget:

"Lean on Me"
    "Come Together"
    "Love Train"
    "Na Na Hey Hey"
    "Tossin' and Turnin'"
    "Bridge Over Trouble Water"
    "Love the One You're With"
    "Eleanor Rigby"
    "Still Water [[Love)"

Among others, wheeeeee!

I wonder if Jean's issue lies in the fact that, while extremely talented, was stuck in a rut by becoming a "covers" singer.

Jean of course is a SOUL singer; the sugary-pop that the Supremes put out in the 60's aren't exactly a challenge to Jean's vocal abilites. Yet, as a Supreme, she was expected to include these as part of her package. Jean's interpetations of these songs are so far removed from the originals; much to the pleasure, I'm sure, to Jean, and much to the dismay, I gather, from the fans.

Supremes like Lynda and Scherrie, on the other hand, have embraced the Supremes catalog and have long made a career out of singing songs intended of a lead other than themselves.

Not sure I agree with the image and the oohs and aaahs because the 70's vocals were much different than the oohs and aaahs and as far as the gowns go the Three Degrees, The Honeycones and all the other female groups of the 70's all were dressed in matching gowns looking just like the Supremes. Some may have been a bit updated be still in gowns. There show was completely different in the beginning of the 70's but reverted back to the old show in late72 mid 73 when nothing was working.
    Who's idea was it to add those old Diana led standards back into the act? Also I wonder if Jean had any input in song selection? Songs like "People, and Somewhere Jean sang the hell out of them both.

Honestly after looking back...............Jean would have been better off as a solo artist. Mary could have been saved a lot of headaches and better aligned herself as a vocalist had someone like Scherrie was found. Thanks for the memories Jean but, this could have been delightful even with Lynda, Mary and Scherrie.

Thank you kenneth; I don't buy this "guy songs" BS for one minute, LOLZZZZZZZZZ! Lest we forget:

"Lean on Me"
    "Come Together"
    "Love Train"
    "Na Na Hey Hey"
    "Tossin' and Turnin'"
    "Bridge Over Trouble Water"
    "Love the One You're With"
    "Eleanor Rigby"
    "Still Water [[Love)"

Among others, wheeeeee!
    It's not bs, but are you a good candidate to make the distinction?

Besides none of the songs you listed were released as singles and none of them were hits. The Supremes were about hits!
    Last edited by marv2; 02-24-2015 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Not sure I agree with the image and the oohs and aaahs because the 70's vocals were much different than the oohs and aaahs and as far as the gowns go the Three Degrees, The Honeycones and all the other female groups of the 70's all were dressed in matching gowns looking just like the Supremes. Some may have been a bit updated be still in gowns. There show was completely different in the beginning of the 70's but reverted back to the old show in late72 mid 73 when nothing was working.
    Who's idea was it to add those old Diana led standards back into the act? Also I wonder if Jean had any input in song selection? Songs like "People, and Somewhere Jean sang the hell out of them both.
    There you go Rod_Rick. Thank you! The proof of what you say is in the clips I posted above on the Three Degrees.

Jean would have sounded A-MAZING on "Signed, Sealed, Delivered."

My issue with the 70's-era Supremesd - not just Jean led - is their live arrangements. So many of their live performances seem underrehearsed. Harmonies and balance are often uneven, and the girls, in general, don't seem to mesh well vocally as DMF and DMC did. It just seemed that each Supreme [[in the 70s) were singing as themselves - not cohesively as a trio.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    Jean would have sounded A-MAZING on "Signed, Sealed, Delivered."

My issue with the 70's-era Supremesd - not just Jean led - is their live arrangements. So many of their live performances seem underrehearsed. Harmonies and balance are often uneven, and the girls, in general, don't seem to mesh well vocally as DMF and DMC did. It just seemed that each Supreme [[in the 70s) were singing as themselves - not cohesively as a trio.
    I agree with that on the Jean led performances, but I like the Live in Montreux that I've heard, thanks to Carlo on SDF, with Mary-Scherrie-Susaye.

The Supremes medley on "Live in Japan" is painful to listen to. Jean just throws the lyrics away and seems so uninterested in performing the material. Aside from the fact that these were Diane's hits when she was in the group, they are great songs and it seems to me someone else can still do them justice. Margie Joseph's take on "Stop! in the Name of Love" is my all time favorite but there are many others which have been discussed in great depth in other threads.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Honestly after looking back...............Jean would have been better off as a solo artist. Mary could have been saved a lot of headaches and better aligned herself as a vocalist had someone like Scherrie was found. Thanks for the memories Jean but, this could have been delightful even with Lynda, Mary and Scherrie.
    Now Mary and Sherrie and Lynda would have made on heck of a great group of Supremes and probably have been real real succesful.

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Now Mary and Sherrie and Lynda would have made on heck of a great group of Supremes and probably have been real real succesful.

Fondly,

Roberta
    I am soooo glad that did not happen or was even considered.

Jean Terrell was the perfect addition to the Supremes hands down. Motown should have done better by them and maybe she would have been happier. Perfectly normal to become disenchanted when you realized you've been sold a bill of goods, nothing close to what you were promised.
    Last edited by marv2; 02-24-2015 at 10:02 PM.

A lot of the DRATS Vegas charts were brought back out when Gil Askey came back to work with the girls. It made dated them and I'm sure Jean hated it.

I thought at one point in either '72 or '73 all of the 60's hits were taken out of the show. Don't know if this was before or after Gil came back.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    A lot of the DRATS Vegas charts were brought back out when Gil Askey came back to work with the girls. It made dated them and I'm sure Jean hated it.

I thought at one point in either '72 or '73 all of the 60's hits were taken out of the show. Don't know if this was before or after Gil came back.
    Teddy Harris [[of Detroit) became their regular music director and he condensed the 60s and some of the 70s hits into two medleys leaving more time in the show for Jean and Mary Wilson to stretch out with their solos.

I am soooo glad that did not happen or was even considered.

Jean Terrell was the perfect addition to the Supremes hands down. Motown should have done better by them and maybe she would have been happier. Perfectly normal to become disenchanted when you realized you've been sold a bill of goods, nothing close to what you were promised.
    Yes but thats because you dont like Lynda Lawrence so you have a bias.

Jean may have been the perfect addition in your opinion but she was also real difficult and moody and obviously didnt want to be a Supreme for a lengthy period.

imo Lynda and Mary and Sherrie would have made a great group of Supremes.

Roberta

Everyone has an opinion,there's nothing wrong with that,Jean was great in The Supremes,but Jean was not a team player.she started out as a team player tho,she changed real fast,had Scherrie Payne took Diana's place,it would have been much better.as a team player,Scherrie would have never left The Supremes,the way Jean did,because Scherrie is a team player,and still is today.Scherrie would have Respect Mary Wilson and Motown,[[she still does today)it don't get any better then Scherrie Payne,Love her.trust me,when Jean was on,no one could touch her,to this day,of all the singer's i ever heard sang People,Jean Terrell is number 1.

see my Whitfield post regarding material for the group..

Jean may have been the perfect addition in your opinion but she was also real difficult and moody and obviously didnt want to be a Supreme for a lengthy period.

Roberta
    Like Marv
    I don't think that Mary, Scherrie, and Lynda line-up would have worked either don't get me wrong I think Lynda is a fantastic vocalist. Because of Susaye's vocal range it gave Mary a chance to stretch out vocally I don't think that would have been possible with Lynda. Not trying to start a war but was Lynda team Supreme or team Lynda, just asking

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Like Marv
    I don't think that Mary, Scherrie, and Lynda line-up would have worked either don't get me wrong I think Lynda is a fantastic vocalist. Because of Susaye's vocal range it gave Mary a chance to stretch out vocally I don't think that would have been possible with Lynda. Not trying to start a war but was Lynda team Supreme or team Lynda, just asking
    According to all documented, first hand accounts she was all Team Lynda! Some say she left, I believe she was put out with no chance of re-admittance.............

Roberta,
    Bless your heart we are definitely in agreement.
    Scherrie, Lynda and Mary would have been hot. Don't get me wrong I Love Susaye to the bone. A voice of love. Mary wanted to sing,,, Scherrie wanted to sing, Lynda wanted to sing. Jean wanted out !!!

Roberta

Lynda left The Supremes the same time Jean left.To this day Lynda regrets leaving, Mary was the one,that wanted Lynda in the group,the people at Motown was not crazy about Lynda,but Motown gave in to Mary,it seem like Lynda turned her back on Mary tho,after Mary help her get a contract signed to Motown's Supremes,Lynda Laurence became team Jean Terrell,talk about loyalty lol,then again Lynda was very young at that time, Lynda regret leaving The Supremes,i'm happy it went,they way it did,because i LOVE me some Scherrie Payne.

Were there any issues between Jean and Lynda? Are we to read anything into the coincidence that they both left at the same time? Thanks.

I may have posed this question before, but what did Lynda add to the group that makes her so memorable? She only recorded one album, unless you count the Live in Japan LP. She was in the group a very short time, wasn't it less than two years?

I don't mean to take anything away from the lady then or now, but I've always wondered what makes her a favorite with fans when it seems she had so little impact within the group either vocally or in terms of creating a group dynamic. To me it was like, if you blinked you missed her. Of course, back then I wasn't really aware of the comings and goings of the backup singers. I was really only interested in whoever was singing lead.

Still, I pose the question and am interested in your answers.

Hey, Kenny! I agree with you, Buddy. Lynda was a good-enough singer, but she was in The Supremes for such a short time, she never really meant anything to me. The only album she sang on was "The Supremes" [[Jimmy Webb-produced) album, which was never one of my favorites. The only track that I really love is "I Guess I’ll Miss The Man", which was the only track NOT produced by Jimmy Webb. All in all, the only members of the 1970's Supremes who really felt like family to me were Jean, Mary, Cindy, and Scherrie. - Gary

I only saw Lynda live once with Jean and Scherrie. I didn't care for her wailing away. Jean would start out great but all hell broke loose in the background with Scherrie and Lynda over singing. Maybe their mics were too loud - who knows.

There are some people who have respect for ALL the Supremes. Regardless of how long they were in the group. It is as simple as that. According to some, she is "insignificant" but they never pass up a chance to make comment about her, or take dig at her. If someone is insignificant to me, I don't waste my time thinking about them, commenting on them, or typing about them.

Lynda who? What is there to talk about?

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    There are some people who have respect for ALL the Supremes. Regardless of how long they were in the group. It is as simple as that. According to some, she is "insignificant" but they never pass up a chance to make comment about her, or take dig at her. If someone is insignificant to me, I don't waste my time thinking about them, commenting on them, or typing about them.
    A-freakin-MEN!!!
    All of the Supremes were Supremes whether certain people want to believe it, liked it or didn't like it, or would like to go back and rewrite history.

I only saw Lynda live once with Jean and Scherrie. I didn't care for her wailing away. Jean would start out great but all hell broke loose in the background with Scherrie and Lynda over singing. Maybe their mics were too loud - who knows.
    I've experienced that too, hehehehehehehehe.........!

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Skooldem1, I never said that I don't respect Lynda. Where did that come from? In fact, I said that she's a good singer. I was merely agreeing with Kenny that she wasn't in the group long enough to make an impression on me. That, plus the fact that the only album she appeared on was not one of my favorites, contributed to the fact that she never felt like Motown family to me. Not her fault -- nor mine. That's just how it was....and still is. Right or wrong, because of exposure [[or the lack thereof), I associate Lynda more with FLOS than with the Motown-contracted Supremes. Again, not her fault nor mine.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 02-26-2015 at 02:19 PM.

After Jean and Cindy left the group the Supremes as we knew them simply ceased to be. Other talented ladies came and went and their contracts and billing read "Supremes", but they just ... weren't. I remember watching TV appearances at the time; as good as "Driving Wheel", "He's My Man", etc [[I loved the High Energy album!) were, there was something flailing and "over with" about the group. They may have scored better with a different name. Talent was there; another direction and identification was needed.

I wouldn't have liked that either.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    After Jean and Cindy left the group the Supremes as we knew them simply ceased to be. Other talented ladies came and went and their contracts and billing read "Supremes", but they just ... weren't. I remember watching TV appearances at the time; as good as "Driving Wheel", "He's My Man", etc [[I loved the High Energy album!) were, there was something flailing and "over with" about the group. They may have scored better with a different name. Talent was there; another direction and identification was needed.
    I disagree. The Supremes were wonderful with Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene with Mary of course. The three of them together were exciting.

i'm always a bit baffled when people question "the impact" one girl had versus another. yes i understand that Lynda and Susaye were only members for about 1.5 years each. but they were both officially supremes. and in their 1.5 years, i think they made important impacts. without Lynda, we'd never have had Bad Weather. it's a great song and of course there's the big "what if" regarding the promotion of BW and the proposed album with Stevie.

if you're questioning impact, what about Barbara Martin? she didn't sing any leads. mostly recording some songs that are possibly borderline awful lol. the tunes are certainly not pillars in the Supremes Canon lol.

or what about Flo? yes a founding member and yes on all of the big hits until 67. but one could make the argument that her insubordination and personal problems nearly wrecked the group. what if the public had not accepted Cindy and the group crumbled and fizzled? we'd be missing out on all of the subsequent music and maybe there wouldn't be a DIANA ROSS today.

obviously i'm being a bit facetious here but i think you get my point

there were 9 Supremes [[and 10th that was only a Primette). they all contributed in one way or another. some were members longer, some recorded more than others. but all are part of the story

as for Lynda leaving with Jean. i don't know that they coordinated their departures in any way. yes all 3 were discussing their exit from motown and apparently mary changed her mind. i've heard that after jean left, lynda met with Mary and then Pedro to discuss the future of the group [[i think Cindy was already back in the picture) and Lynda, who was also pregnant at the time, opted to not continue with the Pedro situation. then Mary got into contact with Scherrie

at least that's the way i've heard it from some of the fans. wasn't there myself so not sure

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i'm always a bit baffled when people question "the impact" one girl had versus another. yes i understand that Lynda and Susaye were only members for about 1.5 years each. but they were both officially supremes. and in their 1.5 years, i think they made important impacts. without Lynda, we'd never have had Bad Weather. it's a great song and of course there's the big "what if" regarding the promotion of BW and the proposed album with Stevie.

if you're questioning impact, what about Barbara Martin? she didn't sing any leads. mostly recording some songs that are possibly borderline awful lol. the tunes are certainly not pillars in the Supremes Canon lol.

or what about Flo? yes a founding member and yes on all of the big hits until 67. but one could make the argument that her insubordination and personal problems nearly wrecked the group. what if the public had not accepted Cindy and the group crumbled and fizzled? we'd be missing out on all of the subsequent music and maybe there wouldn't be a DIANA ROSS today.

obviously i'm being a bit facetious here but i think you get my point

there were 9 Supremes [[and 10th that was only a Primette). they all contributed in one way or another. some were members longer, some recorded more than others. but all are part of the story
    Barbara Martin did some leads. She shares the lead on "After All " and on "He's Seventeen" [[which she did the entire lead in concert.).

Barbara sings on this song here. There are no studio recorded leads of Lynda Laurence by Motown:

as for Lynda leaving with Jean. i don't know that they coordinated their departures in any way. yes all 3 were discussing their exit from motown and apparently mary changed her mind. i've heard that after jean left, lynda met with Mary and then Pedro to discuss the future of the group [[i think Cindy was already back in the picture) and Lynda, who was also pregnant at the time, opted to not continue with the Pedro situation. then Mary got into contact with Scherrie

at least that's the way i've heard it from some of the fans. wasn't there myself so not sure
    All I know and all the people at Motown knew was that the Supremes had never, ever considered jumping ship and leaving the company until Linda Tucker aka Lynda Laurence came into the group.

keep in mind, After All was released in the 2000s. not during the groups tenure at motown. there very well could be unreleased leads of Lynda. for instance, in their shows, Lynda would do lead on You're Nobody Until Somebody, there was her lead part in Love The One You're With and in Everybody's Got the Right. we know that the live lps often are truncated renditions of their full show. all 3 of these songs were in their act throughout 72 and 73. so for all we know, there could be tracks of these in the vaults. if you were to "count" the actual lead words she sang, it outnumbers Barbaras.

again, i'm not trying to diminish Barbara's role. just saying that ALL of the women made important contributions. and yes, some had longer tenures and therefore made more contributions.

also jean began complaining and bucking the system before Lynda joined. there was already some dissension within the group and between the group and motown. that was not caused by lynda. she entered into an existing situation. so i don't think you should imply that lynda somehow was the cause of their discussions for leaving motown. even Mary says in her book "lynda was new enough to just be excited to be there" while she was discussing jean's unhappiness

All I know and all the people at Motown knew was that the Supremes had never, ever considered jumping ship and leaving the company until Linda Tucker aka Lynda Laurence came into the group.
    but you cant prove it and as i said in a earlier post its been real clear for a long time that you dont like Lynda Lawrence so you have a bias imo.

Roberta

I've experienced that too, hehehehehehehehe.........!
    Good Lord remember that Marv. Several of us walked out bc we couldn't hear Jean. I reminder walking down the street 2 blks away and someone said listen to that screaming. When you could hear Jean, her voice was sweet and clear. Remember when she started singing "come with me....." The crowd went crazy.

another baffling aspect with the fans here is that they someone attempt to personalize their "relationship" with the Supremes. i make no claims to know any of them. nor do i consider any to be friends. frankly, other than a few people like Rick, Andy and Brad, who've either worked with or for them or do actually have personal relationships with some, i'd wager that no one here is an actual "Friend" of these women. so why let personal feelings cloud your appreciation for the group?? all of them did mean/stupid/crass things at one time or another. i find it a waste to time and rather ignorant to delve into their personal issues. i'm here for the legacy of the group and the music.

not to nitpick but if im correct Pedro didnt become manager of the group til 1975. Wasnt it told that Mary met Pedro in 73. So i cant see how in that short of a period that He intergrated himself that quickly. and i thought Lynda left because she was pregnant.

another baffling aspect with the fans here is that they someone attempt to personalize their "relationship" with the Supremes. i make no claims to know any of them. nor do i consider any to be friends. frankly, other than a few people like Rick, Andy and Brad, who've either worked with or for them or do actually have personal relationships with some, i'd wager that no one here is an actual "Friend" of these women. so why let personal feelings cloud your appreciation for the group?? all of them did mean/stupid/crass things at one time or another. i find it a waste to time and rather ignorant to delve into their personal issues. i'm here for the legacy of the group and the music.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heAw4z71lvo

Thank you dear sup_fan.

Fondly

Roberta

Pedro was already on the scene in 73. true he wasn't the full manager of the group but he was leading things. again, all of this as i was told.

its possible that whoever told you could ve been mistaken. if that was the case then he wouldve had say on whether Cindy rejoining or Scherrie joining which im pretty sure he didnt.