[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Hey marv and my other temptaholics,here's a little thing about the classic temps that maybe seems minor but i noticed it years ago and have wondered,from[1965]onward paul and eddie stopped conking[wearing the process]now the style was still popular then,was it a concious thing or did they just decide to stop conking?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey marv and my other temptaholics,here's a little thing about the classic temps that maybe seems minor but i noticed it years ago and have wondered,from[1965]onward paul and eddie stopped conking[wearing the process]now the style was still popular then,was it a concious thing or did they just decide to stop conking?
    They stopped because Sam Cooke stopped. I mean that. That's why they stopped.

I should go a bit further. Sam Cooke made a conscious decision to stop processing his hair as an African American man. Had nothing to do with fashion trends or what have you. Malcolm X also spoke out about it as a prominent black man during that era. James Brown and them went on for several more years and stopped in the late 60's.
    Last edited by marv2; 03-04-2015 at 09:42 PM.

Damn marv,you are good,i never knew or would have thought of that.thanks man.

That may be why jerry butler stopped also.

Damn marv,you are good,i never knew or would have thought of that.thanks man.
    It's true though. As little boys, my brother Robert and I would be taken to a very popular barber shop south of Detroit in Toledo called "Poor Clark's Barber shop". They are still operating to this day. My father would drop us off and come back to get us. We use to sit and watch all the older guys getting their conks done , doo rags and all! This was in 1963-64. [[By 1965 half of them stopped doing it.)

Sam Cooke died in December of that year [[1964),but before he swore he would never conk his hair again to try to appeal to a certain image. In the R&B World, Sam Cooke was a king! He was the one playing the Copa before the Supremes ever got it together. Suffice it to say he was the one the guys wanted to emulate.

Name:  sam_cooke-sam_cooke.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  31.6 KB Name:  sam-cooke-1963.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  39.2 KB
    Last edited by marv2; 03-04-2015 at 09:59 PM.

Hey temptaholics,what other solo artist of the early sixties did the temps adore? He sounded alot like paul.

That may be why jerry butler stopped also.
    Possibly, no I am sure of it! Jerry was a crooner and everybody, I do mean everybody was watching Sam Cooke!

Hey temptaholics,what other solo artist of the early sixties did the temps adore? He sounded alot like paul.
    You don't mean Chuck Jackson [[who by the way would have made a great Temptation!)

Richard Street, so great, so under recognized. Here he is with his signature song for the Temptations and "Hey Girl" 1973:

Here's a rare one. Otis Williams singing lead with "Darling Stand By Me"

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    On February 23, 1995 [[20 years ago this weekend) Melvin Franklin died. He was the true heart & soul of the Temptations in my opinion. Still the show must go on and he was replaced by Ray Davis formerly of Parliament/Funkadelic [[Y'all remember "Tear the Roof off the Sucka"? That was Ray's booming bass voice on that record). The grouping with Ray only lasted a year. The Temptations for [[1995) :

Attachment 9150
    marv2, I love this album, got it on my iPod. The vocals are superb on this recording! Did
    Ray sing the bass on the entire album?

Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    marv2, I love this album, got it on my iPod. The vocals are superb on this recording! Did
    Ray sing the bass on the entire album?
    Hey sister, it is my understanding that Ray sang bass on some and Melvin sang on some.

They stopped because Sam Cooke stopped. I mean that. That's why they stopped.

I should go a bit further. Sam Cooke made a conscious decision to stop processing his hair as an African American man. Had nothing to do with fashion trends or what have you. Malcolm X also spoke out about it as a prominent black man during that era. James Brown and them went on for several more years and stopped in the late 60's.
    Marvin stopped conking his hair around that same time [[1964-65).

you don't mean chuck jackson [[who by the way would have made a great temptation!)
    you got it marv,the great chuck jackson.

you got it marv,the great chuck jackson.
    Ahhhh... Great minds think alike! Chuck is still singing up a storm at least in the tri-state area [[NY_NJ_CT) and like Otis has not aged a bit [[ read: Just For Men!) LOL!

He does have a similar sound to Paul Williams:

His[i wake up crying]is a bonified classic i could listen to it all day.

Hey marv,what is the guy;s name who was the lead singer of[the softones]?the reason i mention him is because and no slight to any first tenors outthere,but this guy to me was the best first tenor since eddie and would've been great in the temps.

This was mine by Chuck....."Tell Him I'm Not Home"

Marvin smith i think is the guy from the softones,whom i was asking about,great first tenor,who maybe could've been a temp,what do ya think?

The only group to rival the temps in great lead singers coming and going were the drifters...clyde mcphatter...ben e. King...johnnie lee williams...charley thomas...david baugh...johnny moore...gerhard thrasher...bobby hendricks...rudy lewis...what singers what great,great groups.

Marvin smith i think is the guy from the softones,whom i was asking about,great first tenor,who maybe could've been a temp,what do ya think?

I am not familiar with him to be honest.

Ok,if you can listen to some of the[softones]work and let me know what you think of his vocals.

https://youtu.be/TJSFbO3BupQ

Tony Williams [[The Platters)
    Greatest of them all???
    Last edited by StuBass1; 03-11-2015 at 08:51 PM.

Ok,if you can listen to some of the[softones]work and let me know what you think of his vocals.
    Doing it in a just a few .... thanks JAI

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    https://youtu.be/TJSFbO3BupQ

Tony Williams [[The Platters)
    Greatest of them all???
    Stu, of course Tony Williams! He was once in lifetime vocalists like Elvis, Jackie, Marvin, etc.

Stu, of course Tony Williams! He was once in lifetime vocalists like Elvis, Jackie, Marvin, etc.
    Hi Marv, this is prob the best thread we have had here in a long while. Very informative/refreshing. Thanks for all the viewpoints and videos. The input from so many members is invigorating.

Here's what I listened to of the Softones. They were good...............

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hi Marv, this is prob the best thread we have had here in a long while. Very informative/refreshing. Thanks for all the viewpoints and videos. The input from so many members is invigorating.
    Thank you Detmotownguy! I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am!

So marv,what do you think of his vocals where would you rank him?could he have been a temp? I've seen the softones and they could dance too.

Hey my temptaholics,i was gonna post this in another post but i'll put it here and you can tell me what you this,the temptations are an american institution so how about thier original five headed mike being donated to the smithsonian,it would be a crowning achievement for not only for the temps but motown itself,maybe have berry himself there with the group..oh and that should include dennis.

So marv,what do you think of his vocals where would you rank him?could he have been a temp? I've seen the softones and they could dance too.
    Good vocals, very rich reminds me of none other than Mr. Russell Thompkins Jr and his group the Stylistics. To be fair to him, I'd need to see a performance clip of him singing, but he has the pipes to do it.

Hey my temptaholics,i was gonna post this in another post but i'll put it here and you can tell me what you this,the temptations are an american institution so how about thier original five headed mike being donated to the smithsonian,it would be a crowning achievement for not only for the temps but motown itself,maybe have berry himself there with the group..oh and that should include dennis.
    Now that is a great an unique idea. There is that memorial to Eddie Kendricks in Birmingham that features the 5 headed mic as well.

Question for my temptaholics..when was the last time you saw the[classic]temps in concert? For me it was[1967]at crampton hall in d.c.

As a 15 year old kid...my friend Paul WIlliams invited me and a buddy to hang out with them at The Roostertail when they recorded a Live album. We hung out in the dressing room before and after the show as several Motown artists and Berry Gordy [[with his kids and Chris Clark) continued coming backstage...Ruffin was big hit with the ladies..Paul kept sending us to the bar to get him scotch and drinks for us...I could handle whiskey sours [[LOL) and wore sunglasses to look older, although I probably looked like I was 13 [[LMAO)...Those were fun times...

Question for my temptaholics..when was the last time you saw the[classic]temps in concert? For me it was[1967]at crampton hall in d.c.
    My Daddy went to see them in '65 [[they were his favorite group). I saw them at Christmas 1968 but by then Dennis was in the group.

They just played this little gem on Soul Town of Sirius radio............

As a 15 year old kid...my friend Paul WIlliams invited me and a buddy to hang out with them at The Roostertail when they recorded a Live album. We hung out in the dressing room before and after the show as several Motown artists and Berry Gordy [[with his kids and Chris Clark) continued coming backstage...Ruffin was big hit with the ladies..Paul kept sending us to the bar to get him scotch and drinks for us...I could handle whiskey sours [[LOL) and wore sunglasses to look older, although I probably looked like I was 13 [[LMAO)...Those were fun times...
    wow, great memory for you. I was looking some old Tempts vids and was thinking in a sense he was a lead singer. The leads he did were fantastic and his dance moves were incredible. He was very important to the success of the group. I am not dissing the others . Just giving him credit.

My Daddy went to see them in '65 [[they were his favorite group). I saw them at Christmas 1968 but by then Dennis was in the group.
    Hey Marv!!!!!!! Nice to see more life to this thread. I been thinking how the Tempts were such a large part of our socialization growing up in Detroit! Although more so with Dennis as lead, cause of my age. Psychedelic Shack and Ball of Confusion were so radio friendly it would make you pause and listen!

Where did you see the Tempts with Dennis?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hey Marv!!!!!!! Nice to see more life to this thread. I been thinking how the Tempts were such a large part of our socialization growing up in Detroit! Although more so with Dennis as lead, cause of my age. Psychedelic Shack and Ball of Confusion were so radio friendly it would make you pause and listen!

Where did you see the Tempts with Dennis?

thanks
    Thanks Detmotownguy. It was sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Hi Marv,

As like others who have posted, this is a wonderful thread and I have truly enjoyed it so thank you. I feel BLESSED that "my kids" have met and/or telephone interviewed 17 of the 22 men who can say they are/were a Temptation. I feel even more BLESSED knowing that one became a very good friend of mine and now that he is gone, I miss our phone chats.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by satipe View Post
    Hi Marv,

As like others who have posted, this is a wonderful thread and I have truly enjoyed it so thank you. I feel BLESSED that "my kids" have met and/or telephone interviewed 17 of the 22 men who can say they are/were a Temptation. I feel even more BLESSED knowing that one became a very good friend of mine and now that he is gone, I miss our phone chats.

Thank you.
    Satipe, you are welcome thank you! I am happy others are enjoying it as much as I am.

Good work here Marv.
    I know it's a labor of love One little note is that I wished Allie Ollie Woodson received more notice for his great efforts. But the time he was in the group the music industry changed away from the great soul groups. Sad but true. Edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    Good work here Marv.
    I know it's a labor of love One little note is that I wished Allie Ollie Woodson received more notice for his great efforts. But the time he was in the group the music industry changed away from the great soul groups. Sad but true. Edafan

Edafan, thank you so much. I agree about Ali Woodson. However, he was able develop an individual/solo following something that had been difficult to do since the days when Eddie first left the group. People were starting to know who Ali-Ollie Woodson was outside of the Temptations.

I always felt as far as the multi-voiced Tempts, David Ruffin and Ali-Ollie Woodson had the most range.

David, definitely. He was the king of the male whistle register singers:

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I always felt as far as the multi-voiced Tempts, David Ruffin and Ali-Ollie Woodson had the most range.

David, definitely. He was the king of the male whistle register singers:

Great observation and in total agreement here. I would add Marvin Junior of the Dells to this elite list.

Maybe no one sang with the pain in his heart like david,when he sang sad you felt it too...[but after i've been crying allnight,the sun is cold and the new day seems old].

Maybe no one sang with the pain in his heart like david,when he sang sad you felt it too...[but after i've been crying allnight,the sun is cold and the new day seems old].
    You mean like this don't you?

You mean like this don't you?

Proud to say that's my brother Bruce's horn and string arrangement...I attended one of David's vocal sessions at United Sound for this album...'

Proud to say that's my brother Bruce's horn and string arrangement...I attended one of David's vocal sessions at United Sound for this album...'
    Ahhhh, really? I always thought this was a great recording. I bought the album when it was released back in '79.