[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Otis and Melvin were the longest serving Tempts. Ron Tyson replaced Richard as the third longest-serving Tempt [[32 years this year; Richard was with the group for 21 years until 1992). Reason he left was he and Otis had words. Richard had been sick and apparently Otis didn't get the word so either he was fired or Richard and Otis argued and Richard quit. But I think Otis fired him.

For more info on that situation, check out post #48.

He left for the same reason he left the Tempts: arguing with the de-facto group leader. I think it was money issues. We have to remember, the Phoenix Rising album was mostly finished when Theo left in 1998. I think he left right after recording his magnum opus with the group [["This Is My Promise"). By the time he left, the Tempts had one more song to do for the album and that's when Barrington Henderson [[former lead singer of Lakeside though not an original; he sang lead on their R&B hit "Bullseye") stepped in. He was on the cover of the album and lipped Theo's voice for their "Stay" video.

Great information Midnightman. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Did you see them on Midnight Special back then? Summer of 75? He looked like that on the show. I think I remember the whole show was devoted to the Tempts and their lastest album containing "Glass House", "Shakey Ground" etc.
    I wasn't around back then lol but I could imagine he was wearing that hair style then. I saw a performance of them doing "Shakey Ground" for a show in Germany and it looked like he hadn't permed it. Then again, I don't know if I saw how he looked wrong...

Great information Midnightman. Thank you!
    No prob. I know little is known of the Tempts after the '80s lol but they were still relevant enough to have R&B hits in the '90s. That's when I became a fan.

I wasn't around back then lol but I could imagine he was wearing that hair style then. I saw a performance of them doing "Shakey Ground" for a show in Germany and it looked like he hadn't permed it. Then again, I don't know if I saw how he looked wrong...
    Then what am I doing talking to you , you youngster! Are you kidding me?

^ Yep, I'm just 30.

^ Yep, I'm just 30.
    I have a neck tie older than you! LOL!!! But we cool.............

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....marv you're a hoot.

I have a neck tie older than you! LOL!!! But we cool.............
    LMAO! Cool.

This thread has a lot of great facts and photos of the Temptations. And it is sad that the entertainment industry now does not value great singing. The basic fact is that this group gave us a lot of great songs. One way overlooked gem is Magic. Melvin and Ali Ollie. Wow
    edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    This thread has a lot of great facts and photos of the Temptations. And it is sad that the entertainment industry now does not value great singing. The basic fact is that this group gave us a lot of great songs. One way overlooked gem is Magic. Melvin and Ali Ollie. Wow
    edafan
    I agree and then there was this one:

I surprised they did this one and more surprised that I liked it. Heard it on the radio the first time driving around a rainy Connecticut in 1995. This was when they were in their 4 man configuration during that period:

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    edafan
    It is beyond sad. It is a clear example of the decline of our civilization, quality of life, etc .etc. It is ALL about money now! You may recall that when groups like the Temptations were signed to Motown, it took them several years to get a national hit. Berry Gordy stuck with them and groups like the Supremes until they scored. Today, if an artist is lucky enough to get the support of a record label, they have to score and score huge immediately or they are dropped!

For me, and I repeat for ME, this was the quintessential David Ruffin lead with the Temptations. I have many favorites with him on lead, but this one just epitomizes his great talents :

It has been brought to my attention that it was not previously mentioned here that Joe Herndon of Washington D.C. replaced Harry McGilberry in the Fall of 2003 as the Temptations Bass singer. [[Sorry Joe!). He is pictured above in the grouping with G.C. Cameron and with the current Temptations line up!

Another underrated temps gem is[truly for you]ron does a good job on this smooth temps song.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Another underrated temps gem is[truly for you]ron does a good job on this smooth temps song.
    You are sooooooooooo very right. I remember buying that album, along with the Four Tops latest album, "Back where I Belong" at the same time in the Fall of '83 and was surprised at just how good they both were!

Hey marv,do you have a copy of[house party-1975]take a listen to it,yes i know that otis hates it but i don't some of these are folks songs[johnny porter-ways of a grown up man]but in the hands of the temps they make em soulful not a big seller i know but not terrible either.

Hey marv,do you have a copy of[house party-1975]take a listen to it,yes i know that otis hates it but i don't some of these are folks songs[johnny porter-ways of a grown up man]but in the hands of the temps they make em soulful not a big seller i know but not terrible either.
    I have every original Temptations album known to mankind up to 1998. I have the "House Party" album from '75. I got to give it a listen after not hearing it for more than 30 years. You know how bad the Temptations were. They could take a folk song and make it hip. Look what they did with that Rodgers and Hammerstein song posted above............"Some Enchanted Evening". Very few artists can do something like that!
    Last edited by marv2; 03-04-2015 at 11:02 PM.

I always thought the one they really hated was "Wings of Love" from 1976! LOL! Why? because it was essentially a Dennis Edwards solo project with session singers backing him on most of the tracks! LOL!

Thinking back now JAI, wasn't "Keep Holdin' On" the only single lifted from "House Party"?

Now here's a memory. This is from what we called the "Revitalization of Temptations" in 1975. The fancy moves courtesy of Lon Fontaine......................."Glasshouse"!

One of my all time favorites [[for sentimental reasons............hehehehehehehehe) It wasn't a huge hit for the Tempts and by this time in 1978 they were solidly considered part of the entertainment establishment [[think Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr, the Letterman,etc you get the picture.LOL!)

They were soooo smooth with the addition of Louis Price that they appeared to be on automatic. Extremely professional performances and expert vocals. Gone were the rough edge of Ruffin and or Edwards. "Everyready Love" from the Winter of 1977-78.

Great stuff marv,i could talk about the temps for days,i agree[wings of love is terrible]is it just me or does it seem like the temps laid out an incredible menu of music,not just the hits but the overall body of music that you could listen to for days and never get your fill,even the album covers were cool.

Funny that you should mention louis price,great singer but i was glad when dennis came back,but you gotta give louis his due he did a good job on[let's live in peace,think for yourself[from-hear to tempt you].

Great stuff marv,i could talk about the temps for days,i agree[wings of love is terrible]is it just me or does it seem like the temps laid out an incredible menu of music,not just the hits but the overall body of music that you could listen to for days and never get your fill,even the album covers were cool.

Well let's talk about them then! LOL! They were after all one of the greatest groups in the History of the World and that is not up for debate!

Funny that you should mention louis price,great singer but i was glad when dennis came back,but you gotta give louis his due he did a good job on[let's live in peace,think for yourself[from-hear to tempt you].
    I was mixed on that whole situation. I was very happy that Louis was in the group [[he sounded a lot like Jerry Butler to me.....). I don't know if it's true, but I had heard that he was the son of Lloyd Price? Anyway, they were missing their trademark gruff, rough lead sound that the we all came to know provided by David and Dennis. Richard tried to fill in that dept., but that is really not his forte. His is "Hey Girl", "Heavenly" which were both very dynamic songs by the Tempts.

Well let's talk about them then! LOL! They were after all one of the greatest groups in the History of the World and that is not up for debate!
    It's not just you, there are millions of us around the World that agree with you. The Temptations were groomed by Motown for the long haul and versatility! They were as much loved by those in the "ghetto" as those that worked on Wall Street that went to see them in the posh clubs or summer outdoor theaters!

Oh no question,the greatest hands down,i have a giant posterboard in my basement entitled[meet the temptations]with photos from the days of[al bryant]to ali woodson.

One amusing statement from otis,in the book he says that david or jimmy ruffin could have sung in the temps,but some years later he said that jimmy had two left feet so that would've eliminated him.

Oh no question,the greatest hands down,i have a giant posterboard in my basement entitled[meet the temptations]with photos from the days of[al bryant]to ali woodson.
    Damn! I bet it is too big to scan huh? What about photographing it. When I have time [[which is nearly impossible in NYC). I want to create something like that.

One amusing statement from otis,in the book he says that david or jimmy ruffin could have sung in the temps,but some years later he said that jimmy had two left feet so that would've eliminated him.
    That plus Jimmy was even worse in having someone telling him what to do, what to sing, yada, yada, yada LOL! He did not have the group mentality like someone else I know.

All you need is a poster board and some photos,i was lucky enough to have worked in a place that had some pics laying around.

I've always wondered how[teddy pendergrass]would've done in the temps,he certainly had the voice..one of those[what if]questions we'll never get an answer to.

All you need is a poster board and some photos,i was lucky enough to have worked in a place that had some pics laying around.
    I am going to do one myself!

I've always wondered how[teddy pendergrass]would've done in the temps,he certainly had the voice..one of those[what if]questions we'll never get an answer to.
    It would have been awful!................It would have been awfully great to have Teddy fronting the Temptations ,but you KNOW that would have only lasted a minute. Once the ladies started with the throwing of panties at him on stage.......................he would be out! LOL!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,hell i forgot all about that.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,hell i forgot all about that.
    You know Otis would not put up with any shit like that even if it weren't Teddy's fault! LOL!

Marv,did you ever hear the story that blue told about the guy that sent an audition tape to the group when they were looking for a new member,well as we all know you gotta be at least six feet tall to be a temp,wellte guy'svice was good but when blue met him at the airport the dude was about five two,blue cussed him from one end to the other...hhahaha.

Remember when BoyzIIMen first hit? Everyone was trying to make them out to be the new Temptations or putting them on the same level of potential. where are they now?

Marv,did you ever hear the story that blue told about the guy that sent an audition tape to the group when they were looking for a new member,well as we all know you gotta be at least six feet tall to be a temp,wellte guy'svice was good but when blue met him at the airport the dude was about five two,blue cussed him from one end to the other...hhahaha.
    Yes I do remember that! LOL! Did you know they originally rejected Ali because his hair was dyed orange when he went to the audition? LOL

The most boring group ever.

I surprised they did this one and more surprised that I liked it. Heard it on the radio the first time driving around a rainy Connecticut in 1995. This was when they were in their 4 man configuration during that period:

If I recall, this was when Ray Davis had left the group because he had been too ill to do work. Ray eventually decided to be let go from his contract because he was doing too much work [[I think this guy was still working with the original members of Funkadelic as well as Roger and Zapp so the Tempts workload was too much for him). They got Harry shortly after filming this video, I think.

Otis doesn't take many leads,but he had some nice ones such as the old school doowop sounding[i ain't got nothing-1972]otis killed it.

Who, Boyz II Men? They really are boring. Great vocals but they were the One Direction of their time: most of the time, they just stood there singing their songs lol they still do the same thing haha

The Temptations had moves on your ass. Don't know why anyone would compare the Temptin' Temptations to Boyz II Men. Ew...lol and I speak as a fan of some of BIIM's stuff! But they were no Temptations.

Otis doesn't take many leads,but he had some nice ones such as the old school doowop sounding[i ain't got nothing-1972]otis killed it.
    You probably don't have this album but I love his lead on the song "Got to Get On the Road" from their 2000 album, "Ear-Resistible". I loved that album though on some songs they were trying too hard [["It's Alright to Be Wrong" was originally going to go to another Motown act but I think Otis or whoever insisted they get it lol).

"Then I'm goin' to DETRAWT [[Detroit)
    West Grand Boulevard, 'cause you know that's where it started, y'all!"

Love that line.

They [[BoyzIIMen) had great harmonies, but no identity! 50-55 years since their first hits and many people can name the individual Four Tops and the Classic 5 Temptations.

Thanks midnightman,i don't have it but i'll be on the lookout for it..temptations forever.

You probably don't have this album but I love his lead on the song "Got to Get On the Road" from their 2000 album, "Ear-Resistible". I loved that album though on some songs they were trying too hard [["It's Alright to Be Wrong" was originally going to go to another Motown act but I think Otis or whoever insisted they get it lol).

"Then I'm goin' to DETRAWT [[Detroit)
    West Grand Boulevard, 'cause you know that's where it started, y'all!"

Love that line.
    Never heard that cut before. Thank you!

No problem, marv and arr.