[REMOVE ADS]

Kenny Kelly, the last of the Original Manhattans

It's been reported by the National R&b music society that he passed away. No info to how. This is just surreal, they're all gone.

Very sad news.

Attachment 9111

Sad news. Epitaph by Chris Rizik of Soul Tracks....

http://www.soultracks.com/story-kenneth-kelly-dies

R.I.P

Kenneth Kelly

edafan

All of my brothers are now gone, I feel kinda alone now. Except for Gerald and my confidant Phil Terrell [[the 6th Manhattan & Blue's cousin).
    I was close to the fellas for 46 years since Smitty & I lived together.
    The "original" Manhattans were special, now they all will be singing together again in Heaven.
    Kenny wrote some beautiful songs like "If My Heart Could Speak" with Smitty singing sweet lead vocals.

He also wrote the very pretty "The Day A Robin Sang To Me".
    I spent quite a bit of time at Kenny's house catching up on the group with him and also his mother who lived downstairs in her house on 138 Monticello Avenue in J.C.
    I have to laugh when I read the "nicknames" in articles like above which came from the back of one album jacket. The truth is no one really called Kenny "Wally" or ever called Richard "Ricky" [[lol) and only jokingly called Gerald "Smut" which didn't fit.
    Sonny was referred to as "Dip" sometimes [[Sonny was his real nickname) and Blue was always "Blue" [[the only one's with a real nicknames).
    People shouldn't always believe everything they read no matter where they get it, it just shows they never really knew them personally when they repeat that stuff in print.
    Condolences to Kenny's daughter. Rest in peace my brother and hug Smitty for me.
    I can't believe they are all gone now. Not a good feeling. We went a long way back..........

S.S.

S.S., I feel for you, such difficult times.... Loved the Manhattans, was fortunate enough to see them perform and then and then spend time with them all in Boston...... wonderful professionals and very gracious

I've been lucky enough to see the manhattans many times in the[60's-70's]and they were always great,yes sis i remember the great[smitty]from the howard theatre days when they wore those cool white gloves and sang classics like[i'm the one love forgot-searching for my baby-can i...not even the temptin temps could outdance the mighty manhattans.

Thank you, MIKE-UK.

Yes, those was the days at the Howard Theater, R & B. We will never see the likes of those shows again.

S.S.

How lucky we were sis to have been there when soul music history was being made.

True that, R&B.

S.S.

Awwww, man. After seeing that blue had passed, i did wonder about kenny. Thank god they got their unsung. my sincerest condolences to his family and to you sissd. Now i must go play my favorite csong by smitty, to bring me back baby. Please excuse typos, im trying to learn how to use this tablet. Oy vey,

{{{Nosey}}}

S.S.

Jeannie, B is on the road and I know she had a relationship with both the Manhattens and the O'Jays before they werre big, so I told her the news. She started crying. It seems that Kenny was her favorite as a person in the group. She said he was really sweet and very unlike the rest of the guys. RIP...

Thanks for sharing that, Kevin.
    When I first heard I burst out crying too, guess it hit me they are all gone now and so is that part of my life.
    I still have a special bond with Gerald and always stayed very close with Phil, my confidant from the very beginning and still is. It's hard to believe all the originals are gone. Sonny, Blue, & Kenny all in about 2 months time. They were still too young.

I thought Jimmy would make 100 but unexpectedly passed a month before his 89th birthday due to a stupid doctor at the hospital overdosing him which caused cardiovascular shut down after I warned him not to give him any narcotics for pain. It's beyond disturbing. Devistating. You cannot just put your trust in the medical system you must demand to know all meds they are giving and when. That goes for anyone having a loved one in the E.R. or overnight a tthe hospital, you must be a vigilant advocate at all times. People need to "be aware" they will not always check the patient's past medical records and may do the wrong thing.

Kevin, I understand why B was so moved to tears, it's like part of our lives is gone forever.
    That era of our youth.

Best to You & Ms. B always.
    Jeanie