[REMOVE ADS]

Spotify: My Experience

I've recently started a trial subscription to the streaming music Spotify and I want to let those interested know of my experience.

Spotify is different than Sirius/XM [[to which I also subscribe) in that SXM operates like a traditional radio station with a mix of songs/artist playlists and [[on most channels) a DJ while Spotify, along with playlists, lets listeners stream full albums. This is valuable to me because I simply cannot afford to buy [[CD or download) every new and re-released album I want to hear.

I think the selection of albums is quite encouraging: I've listened to Aretha LPs [[all eras) that I don't have on CD, the Supremes/Tempts 2 CD compilation, classic Staples Singers albums, as well as brand new releases by Rhiannon Giddons [[of the Carolina Chocolate Drops) and others. I find the sound quality good.

The regular charge is $9.99 per month, and right now I'm leaning toward being a full subscriber when my trial runs out.

I think for music-maniacs it's a great way to hear the music we love without going broke buying "keepers"!

From the perspective of a music producer, I think Spotify sucks. If one of my songs gets streamed I earn something like $.00005. How generous. A million seller will get me a cheeseburger.

I don't know about it personaly,but if ralph says it sucks then i'm with ralph.

Ralph, what do you get from a Youtube stream?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I don't know about it personaly,but if ralph says it sucks then i'm with ralph.
    It does suck. I had it for about year and rarely listen to it. It drags down the start up of my computer so I got rid of it. I Sirius in the car.

imnokid,
    I don't get Youtube royalties.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    I've recently started a trial subscription to the streaming music Spotify and I want to let those interested know of my experience.

Spotify is different than Sirius/XM [[to which I also subscribe) in that SXM operates like a traditional radio station with a mix of songs/artist playlists and [[on most channels) a DJ while Spotify, along with playlists, lets listeners stream full albums. This is valuable to me because I simply cannot afford to buy [[CD or download) every new and re-released album I want to hear.

I think the selection of albums is quite encouraging: I've listened to Aretha LPs [[all eras) that I don't have on CD, the Supremes/Tempts 2 CD compilation, classic Staples Singers albums, as well as brand new releases by Rhiannon Giddons [[of the Carolina Chocolate Drops) and others. I find the sound quality good.

The regular charge is $9.99 per month, and right now I'm leaning toward being a full subscriber when my trial runs out.

I think for music-maniacs it's a great way to hear the music we love without going broke buying "keepers"!
    Except if you're an audiophile, like me. But, even then, the sound ain't too bad for checking out something you've always been curious about, but didn't want to, or couldn't afford to plunk down the money for. I would rather buy my music than be at the mercy and whim of the record label and/or the artist. They can pull an album or song at any time without warning, and if they do, bye-bye music. If I own the CD/file/record, I can play it whenever I want, and without an internet connection.

The main beef I have with Spotify, and other streaming services, is that they offer a limited selection of catalog from most artists. Say I want to hear Joe Tex's 1972 album "I Gotcha". Well, they "gotcha" because it ain't there! Say i'm in the mood to hear Kool & The Gang's "Ladies Night" album from 1979. Oops! It's not there! Too bad. What if i'm in the mood to hear Deniece Williams' "I'm So Proud" album or Bar-Kay's "Night Cruising". Neither one of them are there. Oh well...good thing I have the albums or CDs!

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    From the perspective of a music producer, I think Spotify sucks. If one of my songs gets streamed I earn something like $.00005. How generous. A million seller will get me a cheeseburger.
    Exactly, man! Spotify rips off all the people who make the music possible, from the songwriters, to the engineers, producers, arrangers, and the musicians. Meanwhile, the labels make out like bandits.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It does suck. I had it for about year and rarely listen to it. It drags down the start up of my computer so I got rid of it. I Sirius in the car.
    You can always prevent it from loading up when you start your computer. You can still open it when you want.

Even XM radio sucks, ever since Sirius bought them a few years ago. Not only did the sound quality take a dive, but the playlists were narrowed bigtime. Before the merger, XM was the best for music, and played a very wide assortment of it, especially R&B. Not today.
    Last edited by soulster; 02-18-2015 at 09:26 PM. Reason: embarrassing typos

I'd listen to anything or anybody that was playing music by my girl "Rhiannon Giddons [[of the Carolina Chocolate Drops)".

Ralph, I thought YT payed royalties? I was just curious as to the difference.
    As for Spotify, most of the music is over compressed and sounds pretty shitty/distorted.

It does imnokid, For some reason I had problems signing on. Dates back to when I got hacked and was never really able to get back to normal and ended up with more than one account because I had to open a new one due to the hacking problem. It got very confusing and I just gave up on it.