[REMOVE ADS]

Cream of the Crop: DRATS

Well, I know that the CREAM OF THE CROP album was largely a hodgepodge of tracks, and I also realize that we will likely never get an "expanded edition" on CD or download.

That said, I wonder what other tracks could be included on an "imaginary expanded edition." That would include alternate takes and/or other unreleased tracks recorded during that latest period in the girls' the girls career.

One way to approach this would be to identify all of the tracks that they recorded in 1969.

Who has some ideas to build this listing?
    Last edited by longtimefan; 02-16-2015 at 10:51 PM.

I think there are other versions of "Someday", "Can't You See", "You Gave Me Love" and "The Young Folks". Besides "Hey Jude", I think Motown probably experimented with other Beatle songs on the girls. I would have loved to have heard "Easy To Be Hard" by Diana which I think would fit around the time of Aquarius and Let The Sunshine In which they had already done.

Wonder if DRATS ever recorded "Ain't Got No.....I Got Life"?

"Cream Of The Crop" a "hodgepodge". I never saw it that way but I definitely loved that album - some fab songs.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Wonder if DRATS ever recorded "Ain't Got No.....I Got Life"?

"Cream Of The Crop" a "hodgepodge". I never saw it that way but I definitely loved that album - some fab songs.

Oh, I liked the songs in the album, too -- that's why I am interested in an "expanded edition."

"Hodgepodge" is not a negative term, but rather a mixture or assortment of vaulted and newly recorded songs without an actual unifying "theme."

Also, we all know that "Someday..." was considered for Diana's initial single ... and, oh yeah, additionally Florence is even on one track. :-) Oops, and so is Syreeta -- Berry's choice for Diana's replacement.

Maybe I should have said a GREAT hodgepodge! :-)

I still hope to s]get some help

which song has Syreeta on it ? I have not listen to the album in quite some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    which song has Syreeta on it ? I have not listen to the album in quite some time now.
    The Beginning of the End

i like a lot of the songs on Cream but i agree with the hodge podginess of it. i've gone through all of the lp's from the DRATS era and have recompiled them to make, IMO, them a strong set. For Reflections and Love Child, i really went with the concepts of psychedelic soul and social songs. for Let Sunshine i pulled in a bunch of the covers and pop songs, many that i'd pulled from Reflect and Love. for Cream, i went for a bit more of a mature sound. here's my list

Side 1
    Someday we'll be together
    You Gave Me Love
    Stormy
    You're Gonna Hear From Me
    Till Johnny Comes
    I'm So Glad I Got Somebody Like You Around

Side 2
    Discover Me [[and you'll discover love)
    Loving You Is Better than ever
    When it's to the Top
    Beginning of the End
    Look Of Love
    I'll Set You Free

Considering there was a lot of stuff in the vaults, it was pretty mean to have just 5 tracks on side 2.

I would have made it 7 tracks on both sides as a 'farewell gesture' to fans - with the inclusion of

'Wish I knew'
    'Stormy'
    'MacArthur Park'

longtimefan:

Here is a thread that might be of interest; one I started regarding Mary Wilson-lead tracks from 1969. The conversation mentions the "Cream of the Crop" LP and possible "additions".

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...ght=cream+crop

I thought the lp was dismal when it first came out and still think it is the weakest of the 60s Supremes studio lps. The only tracks worth listening to, for my ears, are Can't You See It's Me and You Gave Me Love. Shadows of Society was obviously unfinished with Bristol editing the second verse to fade to make the track last three minutes. Side B is all throwaway stuff to me. I never listen to this album

i read in Randy's book that a single mix of Shadows was prepared. it was not recorded in time for the Love Child lp. not sure though if it was considered as a potential follow up

and i think the lp gets some unfair knocks. it's definitely a mishmash and the sequencing could have been better. also some of the covers are less than thrilling. but Someday, Can't You See It's Me, When it's to the top, Beginning of the end, You gave me love, till johnny comes are decent lp tracks. some of them are actually quite strong.

i do wonder how on earth Young Folks was ever released. i guess they were just pandering to the hippie crowd, similar to how they pandered to astrology with No Matter Sign.

When I bought this LP, I had never heard of the Andantes, and I assumed that Mary and Cindy were on each track singing background vocals, and that all the tracks had been recorded for this final LP. Even though I really enjoyed this LP - and each track on it - my favourites have to be [[1) you gave me love [[2) can't you see it's me [[3) shadows of society [[4) when it's to the top.

It never occurred to me that 'shadows of society' wasn't a finished product.

My only criticism at that time was that side 2 was so short.

Now that I've learned so much from being on Soulful Detroit forum, there is unlikely to be an expanded release of this LP, because the collection of tracks all appear to have been put together without any real constructive planning. But you know what? I still enjoy listening to this LP - and for me, it has to be one of the Supremes [[1960-1969) best / most enjoyable releases.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I thought the lp was dismal when it first came out and still think it is the weakest of the 60s Supremes studio lps. The only tracks worth listening to, for my ears, are Can't You See It's Me and You Gave Me Love. Shadows of Society was obviously unfinished with Bristol editing the second verse to fade to make the track last three minutes. Side B is all throwaway stuff to me. I never listen to this album
    What makes you say it was Johnny Bristol who did the editing.

I'm surprised this album is not well liked. I always preferred this album over Let The Sunshine In. Now that's not to say this album doesn't have its faults as there are a couple of duds like the 3 year old track "Blowin' In The Wind," but the album has several strong tracks which LTSI doesn't. To me, LTSI was the weakest of the 60's albums. Rather sad to name the album after another group's hit.

If any of you have noticed there is an extra verse in Jimmy Ruffin's version of "You Gave Me Love" which isn't in the Supremes' version. Makes me wonder if that was edited too. "You Gave Me Love" had strong potential to be a single, but it was too late as Diana was leaving. It's one of my favorites from the DRATS era.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 02-18-2015 at 08:24 PM.

I played the heck of side one until I had to buy another LP.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I'm surprised this album is not well liked. I always preferred this album over Let The Sunshine In. Now that's not to say this album doesn't have it's faults as there are a couple of duds like the 3 year old track "Blowin' In The Wind," but the album has several strong tracks which LTSI doesn't. To me, LTSI was the weakest of the 60's albums. Rather sad to name the album after another group's hit.

If any of you have noticed there is an extra verse in Jimmy Ruffin's version of "You Gave Me Love" which isn't in the Supremes' version. Makes me wonder if that was edited too. "You Gave Me Love" had strong potential to be a single, but it was too late as Diana was leaving. It's one of my favorites from the DRATS era.

I agree. It is one of my favorites. And has my favorite Diana Ross and the Supremes song "Someday Well be Together".

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i like a lot of the songs on Cream but i agree with the hodge podginess of it. i've gone through all of the lp's from the DRATS era and have recompiled them to make, IMO, them a strong set. For Reflections and Love Child, i really went with the concepts of psychedelic soul and social songs. for Let Sunshine i pulled in a bunch of the covers and pop songs, many that i'd pulled from Reflect and Love. for Cream, i went for a bit more of a mature sound. here's my list

Side 1
    You Gave Me Love
    Stormy
    Till Johnny Comes

Side 2
    When it's to the Top
    Beginning of the End
    Look Of Love
    I'll Set You Free
    aN Excellent tracklist even though i love original album,cheers

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

Side 1
    You Gave Me Love
    Stormy
    Till Johnny Comes

Side 2
    When it's to the Top
    Beginning of the End
    Look Of Love
    I'll Set You Free

Nice to add Stormy. I am sure I am odd man out on this one, but it is one of my fav Sups recordings. Mellow, rich, and relaxing. I like Diane's "lower" register, so damn sexy sounding. The backgrounds are fantastic. In fact, I am going to play it now.
    Last edited by detmotownguy; 02-27-2015 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Nice to add Stormy. I am sure I am odd man out on this one, but it is one of my fav Sups recordings. Mellow, rich, and relaxing. I like Diane's "lower" register, so damn sexy sounding. The backgrounds are fantastic. In fact, I am going to play it now.
    Stormy was a nice recording. It sounded like all three women were singing for a change.