[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    THIS IS the song that I cant stand and the video I saw 3 or 4 times of Carly Simon. This woman is so talented I was shocked when I saw this and heard it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_GV7rHB_z4

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I've often made it very clear that all types of music are welcome for discussion on Soulful Detroit. If you want proof, just look to me, your moderator. An old Rock & Roll piano player.
    Thank you! Now people can stop complaining about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I've often made it very clear that all types of music are welcome for discussion on Soulful Detroit. If you want proof, just look to me, your moderator. An old Rock & Roll piano player.
    Indeed, Ralph, it's your site and you can run it how the hell you want. I just really made my post - as customer feedback, if you like - because I go onto the site a fraction of the time I used to as there is so much stuff that has no relevance whatsoever to soul music.

Quote Originally Posted by Amithesameboy View Post
    Indeed, Ralph, it's your site and you can run it how the hell you want. I just really made my post - as customer feedback, if you like - because I go onto the site a fraction of the time I used to as there is so much stuff that has no relevance whatsoever to soul music.
    Think about it. It says "Detroit" in the title. The means all the artists and fine rock music that also came from that city. There's a lot of soulful rock out there. And funk! George Clinton cut his best sides in Detroit!

But, again, just talking about Motown is so limiting. There is so much soul music out there even if you exclude rock music.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Think about it. It says "Detroit" in the title. The means all the artists and fine rock music that also came from that city. There's a lot of soulful rock out there. And funk! George Clinton cut his best sides in Detroit!

But, again, just talking about Motown is so limiting. There is so much soul music out there even if you exclude rock music.
    Wasn't Carly Simon from New York ? If so, even less reason to discuss her based on what you say above. Anyway, as I said the Forum can -and clearly does - discuss who it likes - I just dip in time from time to time. All I'm really saying that if it confined itself to soul music - from wherever - I would spend much more time on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Amithesameboy View Post
    Wasn't Carly Simon from New York ? If so, even less reason to discuss her based on what you say above. Anyway, as I said the Forum can -and clearly does - discuss who it likes - I just dip in time from time to time. All I'm really saying that if it confined itself to soul music - from wherever - I would spend much more time on here.
    Why does it have to be confined to soul music? It's not like people are going to find us on Google and come in and start talking about AC/DC or anything.

What you must try to understand is that, to me, the term soulful Detroit has a much more encompassing meaning. I come out of a Detroit that was, musically, wide open. We called it "Jam City" because of the abundance of musical opportunity. To me that is what is soulful and that is exactly how I see the Soulful Detroit forum being represented. This format has worked well for over fourteen years. Music is music.

Why does it have to be confined to soul music? It's not like people are going to find us on Google and come in and start talking about AC/DC or anything.
    It clearly doesn't and the Forum obviously works just fine for many people.

Now, I realize that there are a lot of forums...most, actually, that do not talk about R&B at all. It's probably allowed, but the membership doesn't know about it or care to discuss it for whatever reason. Sema here.

I think that id someone comes here from a Google search looking for Beck or Beatles discussions, they will see what it is and go somewhere else. That is their choice.

I wish there were more technical discussions so engineers would come back.

Now, I realize that there are a lot of forums...most, actually, that do not talk about R&B at all. It's probably allowed, but the membership doesn't know about it or care to discuss it for whatever reason. Sema here.

I think that id someone comes here from a Google search looking for Beck or Beatles discussions, they will see what it is and go somewhere else. That is their choice.

I wish there were more technical discussions so engineers would come back.
    You have to admit that there is nowhere else like SoulfulDetroit. I found it and joined it in 2003 because I was getting a bit homesick in New York. I had no idea that many of the members on the forum were not even from Michigan! LOL! But that is also what makes it great and different.

I'm new here and I was drawn to this site by discussion of Motown and Detroit-adjacent soul music. But that is not the extent of my musical tastes. I truly appreciate that the contributors at Soulful Detroit are so knowledgeable about all kinds of music.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You have to admit that there is nowhere else like SoulfulDetroit. I found it and joined it in 2003 because I was getting a bit homesick in New York. I had no idea that many of the members on the forum were not even from Michigan! LOL! But that is also what makes it great and different.
    I don't care where the membership is from, so long as they discuss what I am interested in.

And once again you totally miss the point of what I said earlier. Nobody at no time suggested only talking about Motown here on the main forum. Ever. The Motown section of the forum is the place where most posters prefer things to be Motown related as intended.
    And it makes sense. Would you try to play football on a basketball court? Everyone here I'm
    sure knows there is tons of non Motown soul out there, we've been talking about it for years now. Stax, Philly, Memphis, TK in Florida, etc...Remember? Everyone also knows there
    are tons of other greatly enjoyed genres of music besides soul whether they care to listen to
    them,talk about them or not...I have a George Clinton quote you might like:
    Think
    Think
    It Ain't Illegal Yet....

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    And once again you totally miss the point of what I said earlier.
    Seems like you and I just don't communicate our thoughts in the same way. That's not good or bad, just the way it is.