[REMOVE ADS]

Jerry Butler's "The Spice of Life"

Mr. Butler is a favorite of mine who does not seem to maintain much traction nowaways. Has anyone ever seen a CD release of his excellent double album "Jerry Butler Offering The Spice of Life"? It's one of my remaining CD issue wish-fors!

He still maintains plenty of traction with me, Robert Z! His two Philly albums with Gamble and Huff on Mercury are absolutely indispensable.

Spice Of Life is a great album....

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    He still maintains plenty of traction with me, Robert Z! His two Philly albums with Gamble and Huff on Mercury are absolutely indispensable.
    I'm glad to hear it! I, too, think those are absolute masterpieces!

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Spice Of Life is a great album....
    Love that version; thanks for posting!

This brand new on youtube....

And on TSOP by Gamble Huff

"Ain't Understanding Mellow" is still one of my all time fave duets.

I only have three of his albums and two comps on CD, one with all mono singles mixes!

My favorite are the two he did with Gamble and Huff in the late 60s: "Ice On Ice" and "The Ice Man Cometh".
    Last edited by soulster; 01-29-2015 at 06:21 PM.

Jerry Butler is an icon and a legend. One of my favorites from Jerry......

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    "Ain't Understanding Mellow" is still one of my all time fave duets.
    You beat me to it! "AUM" is a wonderful song and received major airplay on the 2 Newark NJ soul stations. Ms. Eager is a wonderful singer.

Thanks to all for the video posts, which I've been watching. Let's hope for a "Spice" cd!

One of his best!!!!! With Ms Brenda Eager

I have always felt that the Diana Ross and the Supremes version of Western Union Man could have been a big hit for the girls. Love Jerrys but our girls had a good version.

I loved Jerry's duets with Brenda Lee Eager. They had a great LP together in 1973 after the success of AUM.

My favorite song from that LP:

Another great track from the LP:

This was one of my favs from Jerry's "Spice Of LIfe" album. The O'Jays' version was also great!

"Can't Understand It" was also done by The Independents, and is equally good

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    Mr. Butler is a favorite of mine who does not seem to maintain much traction nowaways. Has anyone ever seen a CD release of his excellent double album "Jerry Butler Offering The Spice of Life"? It's one of my remaining CD issue wish-fors!
    RobertZ, you almost made my day, as I thought your post was going to read finally, the remastered Spice of Life CD is available...lol! Seriously, I have been pushing for the reissue for a long time, hoping that someone who has the juice would get the ball rolling. Nevertheless, I will continue to keep hoping and wishing that it will happen one day soon.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Yes, the two seminal late 60's albums with G & H and also the other TWO G & H albums 10 years later on PIR. "Nothing Says..." and "Best Love" LP's contains some gems as "Tell Me Girl" so mellow and so well constructed, jazzy,... Sadly I purchased the re-issue of the two from Mercury era "two in one", published by Collector's Choice Music [[2007) and the quality of the sound is very deficient compared with the clean sound from my vynils! On vynil I have had some great treasures as "For Your Precious Love" [[Aligator), "Love Me" [[Fontana), "The Love We Have..." with Brenda Lee Eager [[Mercury) a very real good compilation by Rhino Records [[1958 - 1968) and my two absolute favorites, Motown's "Love's On The Menu" [[with the Leon Ware's masterpiece "Thank You Early Byrd") and "Suite For The Single Girl" [[from wich I love the up tempos as my fave "Challkin' It Up").

Most recently I purchased another compilation on CD where appears the mellow Charles Chaplin's "Smile" cover.

I gave up hoping for a CD release years ago & with the advent of downloads this seems even more remote now. So I ripped my vinyl copy to my computer along with:
    The Love We Had - Jerry & Brenda Lee Eager
    One On One - Gene & Jerry
    Power Of Love
    The Sagittarius Movement
    Sweet Sixteen
    You & Me
    When I've done this in the past usually the CD version has followed, I live in hope, although not much.