[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Danny Woods

Danny Woods

Seeing the Finders Keepers clip on another thread reminded me what an exuberant performer and outstanding singer Danny Woods was. I decided to Youtube him to try and find a recent performance, and found this from 2013. He still sounds good, but performs from a wheelchair.
    Last edited by soulwally; 01-27-2015 at 08:29 AM.

I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Mike Theodore and I produced a record on Danny back in the day. I am glad he is still out there singing.

Great find souwally.

Apologies for sounding insensitive, but does anyone know what his health problems have been? Love his voice - sort of a Jackie Wilson and Ron Isley rolled into one.

I loved that performance! Danny still sounds good and it's great to see that he's still performing. Thanks, soulwally.

I first met Danny when I was in The Sunliners. We were playing at the Web-Wood Inn. He came in one night with his manager. I remember her name was Betty. I also remember her being very protective of Danny. I liked her very much. A good manager. He sat in with us and the club exploded. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing. Danny had it down cold when it came to handling an audience. Great show.

Fast forward a couple of years and we are playing at the Peppermint Lounge in New York City. Lo and behold, who waltzes in one night but Danny with his manager, Betty. We were licking our chops to bring him up on stage. This performance superseded the Web-Wood performance by a good light year at least. Danny actually[[and I don't remember how he did this one) got most of the club to stand on their tables and chairs. And they did it with great enthusiasm. It was one of the most bizarre things I ever witnessed as a musician. And the place ROCKED!

A year or so later, he is in again with ever present manager, Betty, when we were playing the Club Cliché, in Detroit. We might have thrown a rope around him to make sure he didn't leave before we brought him up on stage. Besides his usual explosive performance I seem to remember him being the judge of a dance contest we were having.

All great memories of the early days of a very talented and seasoned performer. Danny, if you happen to read this, I want you to know I have thought about you often over the years. God bless.
    Last edited by ralpht; 01-27-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Apologies for sounding insensitive, but does anyone know what his health problems have been? Love his voice - sort of a Jackie Wilson and Ron Isley rolled into one.
    I am sure you noticed that he is an amputee?

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I first met Danny when I was in The Sunliners. We were playing at the Web-Wood Inn. He came in one night with his manager. I remember her name was Betty. I also remember he being very protective of Danny. I liked her very much. A good manager. He sat in with us and the club exploded. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing. Danny had it down cold when it came to handling an audience. Great show.

Fast forward a couple of years and we are playing at the Peppermint Lounge in New York City. Lo and behold, who waltzes in one night but Danny with his manager, Betty. We were licking our chops to bring him up on stage. This performance superseded the Web-Wood performance by a good light year at least. Danny actually[[and I don't remember how he did this one) got most of the club to stand on their tables and chairs. And they did it with great enthusiasm. It was one of the most bizarre things I ever witnessed as a musician. And the place ROCKED!

A year or so later, he is in again with ever present manager, Betty, when we were playing the Club Cliché, in Detroit. We might have thrown a rope around him to make sure he didn't leave before we brought him up on stage. Besides his usual explosive performance I seem to remember him being the judge of a dance contest we were having.

All great memories of the early days of a very talented and seasoned performer. Danny, if you happen to read this, I want you to know I have thought about you often over the years. God bless.
    Thank you for sharing those memories Ralph
    Last edited by ralpht; 01-27-2015 at 05:40 PM.

I've held them for a long time, John.

Yes, Ralph, thanks for that.
    Marv: Yes I did. I was wondering how he came to be an amputee. Sorry for sounding insensitive [[again).

great performance & great memories Ralph.You need to write another book just of memories like this.Thanks for sharing the video too soulwally.

...and Ralph, with your fond memories of Danny, you'll be especially pleased to learn that his voice is all over British primetime TV at the moment! Working On A Building Of Love, featuring Danny on lead, is currently featured on TV ads for Tesco, the Uk's biggest supermarket company.

I also enjoyed that story, Ralph!

Danny joined Chairmen Of The Board and was with General Johnson, Ken Knox, Jimmy Sterling etc. i'm in touch with both Jimmy and Ken and Ken still tours with a version of CotB. I will ask what became of Danny after Chairmen of the Board.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1888
Size:  56.2 KB

General Johnson, Danny Woods and Jimmy Sterling on drums.

Hi Ralph. Remember when George Katsakis and me of the Royaltones came in to hear you at the Peppermint Lounge? The Peppermint Lounge was one of the hot clubs in the US. You guys sounded great! We were recording at Bell Sound but had to come and see you.

Wow...Dennis, I don't remember this. Did we get to visit when you were there?

We did but the place was packed and you guys had to go back on stage.

And a year later we would all be in /Somers Point New Jersey playing the clubs there. What a zoo that place was, huh Dennis?

Danny Woods UK Northern soul monster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay2VzpOKAKs

Danny stayed there till General Passed in 2010, Then a stretch away with health issues, just lately he has perfomed on stage with Ken again

Ralph

Danny hadn't seen this post O have sent it to him and it's brought back many happy memories for him, asked how he can get in touch ??

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_Duggins_UK View Post
    Ralph

Danny hadn't seen this post O have sent it to him and it's brought back many happy memories for him, asked how he can get in touch ??
    Thanks for this Neil. Great to see my thread getting an update! I like Danny's voice... and his spirit too, having watched the youtube videos of his more recent shows.

I loved Danny's voice too. Chairman of the Board were pretty formidable. Many lead singers. I'd like to really know why Eddie Custis left

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I loved Danny's voice too. Chairman of the Board were pretty formidable. Many lead singers. I'd like to really know why Eddie Custis left
    The group were put together by HDH. Eddie was put in as the 'standards' singer. Possibly the group's commercial success didn't sit well with him. Can't think why, however

According to the Carolina Beach Community and the Chairmen of the Board sites .. Danny Woods has passed away at the age of 73 ...

Saw COTB when the toured UK [[1970??).
    only three members on the show
    General
    Harrison and...not sure who the other member was.....a long time ago..was it Danny who toured? I think there had been a falling out amongst all of the group.

I know the audience was very confused as the group didn't sing together at any stage as far as I recall.... 3 solo performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric Allen View Post
    According to the Carolina Beach Community and the Chairmen of the Board sites .. Danny Woods has passed away at the age of 73 ...
    Oh man. I’m sad to hear that.

I love Danny's voice and his songs with Chairmen Of The Board... he's on all of their albums I think even the post-Invictus Beach Music ones. Underrated IMO.

Rest in peace Danny

So very sorry to hear about this. RIP Danny Woods.

Danny passed away Friday night January 12,2018. He had been going down hill since the summer of 2011 when he lost his leg to diabetes. He was a great guy and great entertainer. He left COB the spring summer 2010 before General died.
    Danny had been a member since the band’s inception. Ken Knox joined the band in 1974. In 1976 General left for a solo career and the band broke up. But Danny and Ken played still and even toured Germany until 1978 when General returned and they took the Group south with the rise of Carolina Beach music.
    General continued writing songs and they became the most loved group in the Carolinas as well as Va.
    General did not broadcast his illness. Danny did not know till late in the stages. I found out a week prior to Generals death.
    Danny not understanding why he was out so long. Formed his own group.
    Ken Knox has kept the name alive and thriving since Generals death.
    New album is “Words left Unsaid”. Some of the songs are on YouTube. Decide for yourselves what you think. It isn’t beach music, but it is really good!

RIP Danny I know Sharon was waiting on you with open arms. ❤️

Rest in peace Danny Woods. It's been great. Thanks for the music and memories.

Marv