[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes Unreleased LPs - Tribute to the Girls, Around the World and more

was looking to make up a playlist of potential tracks for the Sup unreleased lp Tribute to the Girls. also was looking at the various tracks listed in the booklet for Lost & Found, how it lists out much of their unreleased tracks and where they've subsequently been released. also a long list of songs with no Sup vocals

TRIBUTE TO THE GIRLS
    Around the World in 80 Days
    Sincerely
    Mister Sandman
    Fancy Passes

in the L&F booklet it lists these songs as either incomplete or not receiving Sup vocals. but they could work here too
    Volare [[a McGuire Sisters song)
    C'est Si Bon
    Danke Schön
    Uptown [[assuming this is the Crystals song)
    Oh What A guy [[assuming this is the maureen Evans song from the UK)
    -possibly With all My Heart [[assuming it's the Jodie Sands song from 1957 based on the french and italian song Gondolier)

plus i read they'd have padded it with songs from There's a Place, since that lp was cancelled. i was thinking maybe these could have been candidates:
    The Boy From Ipanema
    People
    I Am Woman
    Sleepwalk
    Something for my heart
    Little Miss Loser
    Big City Babies Don't Cry

The for the lp Around the World with the Supremes, the booklet lists these potential tracks:
    C'est Si Bon
    Danke Schön
    Danny Boy
    Hava Nagila
    Hawaiian Wedding
    Sukiyaki
    Tie Me Kangaroo Down
    Volare
    -perhaps Boy From Ipanema could go here too
    -possibly Oh What A Guy from UK artist Maureen Evans
    -possibly With all My Heart [[assuming it's the Jodie Sands song from 1957 based on the french and italian song Gondolier)

Then there's the Broadway to Hollywood lp
    The Happening
    If I Ruled The World
    Strangers in the Night
    Sound of Music
    Tender is the Night
    What Now My Love
    Who Can I Turn To
    The Shadow of Your Smile
    Fancy Passes
    - wonder if they'd use Surfer Boy, Beach Ball or Dr Goldfoot in here?

then the booklet lists On A Clear Day You Can See Forever

Also lists "Your Cheatin' Heart." wonder if this was another track for Country Western & Pop

Another interesting track - One Way Out. maybe the Sonny Boy Williamson song? maybe for Sing Ballads and Blues?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2An9nyzMW4

And of course there's Bibbity Bobbity Boo from the Disney set

alanbill1074 Guest
    I'm sure at least one of them wil have a definitive track list written out in some Motown paperwork somewhere that eventually/hopefully somebody will share with us.

That said I can understand why all of these projects were abandoned, much as I'd still love to have everything possible from the sessions.

i can understand canceling There's A Place, since they opted to do the Copa lp which contained many of those tracks and commemorated their historical appearance there.

i think the R&H set is better than the tracks i've heard of Broadway. and since they're of similar genres, that makes sense too

Tribute to Girls and Around the World - i guess they did the Country lp instead of the Girls and just never got around to doing the recordings for World.

but i agree, would be interesting to have more of the session data and some of the planning that went into these

"Uptown" wasn't recorded until 1968. It didn't get Supremes vocals as it was reassigned to the Marvelettes.

there are several tracks that ended up on the Marvelettes In Full Bloom lp that were listed as Supremes songs. Technically it would have worked for the Tribute lp, assuming the track was recorded back then. the Crystals song is from 1961. but thematically it would have been a bit out of place, IMO on the Tribute lp. i'm surprised there weren't any Shirelle numbers. but haven't run across any

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

...then the booklet lists On A Clear Day You Can See Forever

Also lists "Your Cheatin' Heart." wonder if this was another track for Country Western & Pop

Another interesting track - One Way Out. maybe the Sonny Boy Williamson song? maybe for Sing Ballads and Blues? ...
    Is his book on Motown, J. Randy Tabborelli mentions ONE WAY OUT as the same song that Martha and the Vandellas recorded for their WATCHOUT! album.

YOUR CHEATIN' HEART has been mentioned in some articles as one of the songs that the girls used to sing in their Primettes days. Maybe they thought it would be nice to record for the country album but didn't get around to it.

I always felt that A TRIBUTE TO THE GIRLS would have been a great release at that time in their career. [[Actually, Bette Midler JUST did it this year!)

Also, the BROADWAY TO HOLLYWOOD album would have fit well with the type of MOR albums that they were releasing in the 60s tIN ORDER o expand their audience.

However, I feel that AROUND THE WORLD would have been pushing it!
    Last edited by longtimefan; 01-25-2015 at 10:04 PM.

Bibbity Bobbity Boo? I never know about this...

it's the song from Disney's Cinderella movie. if you look in the booklet for Supremes Lost & Found, there's a long discography section where it lists out all of the rare and previously unreleased songs as they were released on various collections and packages. if you combine it with all of the standard songs that were originally released on the lps, you get a fairly complete list of all songs the Sups recorded in the 60s. it then has a section where a long list of "rumored" tracks are listed. some were assigned to the Sups but then reassigned to another artist. some might have been started by never completed. some might have been planned and then never got vocals.

some of the actual songs on L&F only have Diana vocals. they never got around to the backgrounds.

I knew of the other Disney songs but never knew about Bibbity. perhaps they started work on the instrumental track and it never progressed from there. who knows