[REMOVE ADS]

Cool By Request - 101 STRINGS "Featuring Hits Made Famous By The Supremes" CD

If I recall, one of the posters on the Motown Forum was looking for a copy of the 101 STRINGS "Featuring Hits Made Famous By The Supremes" CD. I was browsing through Amazon and stumbled upon it. Here’s the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Strings-featur...sin=B00P9IKC8S

Upon glancing at the enclosed track list, I have to wonder -- Where did the tracks "It’s So Exciting" and "Baby, Let’s Smooth It Over" come from? Were they foreign-only releases unbeknownst to this American Motown collector?
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-21-2015 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    If I recall, one of the posters on the Motown Forum was looking for a copy of the 101 STRINGS "Featuring Hits Made Famous By The Supremes" CD. I was browsing through Amazon and stumbled upon it. Here’s the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Strings-featur...sin=B00P9IKC8S

Upon glancing at the enclosed track list, I have to wonder -- Where did the tracks "It’s So Exciting" and "Baby, Let’s Smooth It Over" come from? Were they foreign-only releases unbeknownst to this American Motown collector?
    If I'm not mistaken, the two tracks you mentioned were written by the same composer. I don't know for sure, but they might be compositions that were published by the company that released the album.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the two tracks you mentioned were written by the same composer. I don't know for sure, but they might be compositions that were published by the company that released the album.
    That's it exactly. All the 101 Strings' "Songs Made Famous By..." collections include some sort of "soundalike" songs written by the producers of the mysterious 101 Strings orchestra, so as to pad the producers' pockets with additional royalties. I think the "Beatles" tribute album even includes a song called something like "Blues for the Guru" or some such rot!

A much better bet is the ''I Hear A Symphony'' album by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra with arrangements of classic Motown hits. I wasn't sure whether to get this one or not, but when I read that Lamont Dozier said, ''This is one of the most exquisite albums I've listened to in years..'', I placed my faith in Mr. Dozier and ordered the Silva Screen Records CD which was available for a bargain price on Amazon. Lamont was right! The album is not some attempt to cover Motown tunes using a schmaltzy orchestra - each tune is a creatively arranged interpretation of Motown music [[there's only one H-D-H title), using every section of the orchestra. Once you get used to there not being a cracking snakepit rhythm section, this album takes you on a different musical trip and makes you appreciate the tunefulness of the Motown classics plus the outstanding skills of the arranger, the conductor and the RPO players, who play with just the right touch on this Abbey Road recording. Their versions of ''What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted'' and ''Just My Imagination'' will have Paul Riser and Jerry Long re-writing their charts! And wait until you hear ''Someday We'll be Together''! Appreciate pure music and snap up a dose of alterna-Motown!
    Last edited by TomBairdFan; 04-22-2015 at 04:38 PM.

There's a few tracks on youtube. Dancing In The Street, My Girl and Just My Imagination should anyone want to hear them

The Royal Philharmonic CD is on Amazon.

Search: I Hear a Symphony: The Classic Hits of Motown

Music indeed for the ages! And we were the lucky ones to heard it first hand!

Quote Originally Posted by TomBairdFan View Post
    A much better bet is the ''I Hear A Symphony'' album by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra with arrangements of classic Motown hits. I wasn't sure whether to get this one or not, but when I read that Lamont Dozier said, ''This is one of the most exquisite albums I've listened to in years..'', I placed my faith in Mr. Dozier and ordered the Silva Screen Records CD which was available for a bargain price on Amazon. Lamont was right! The album is not some attempt to cover Motown tunes using a schmaltzy orchestra - each tune is a creatively arranged interpretation of Motown music [[there's only one H-D-H title), using every section of the orchestra. Once you get used to there not being a cracking snakepit rhythm section, this album takes you on a different musical trip and makes you appreciate the tunefulness of the Motown classics plus the outstanding skills of the arranger, the conductor and the RPO players, who play with just the right touch on this Abbey Road recording. Their versions of ''What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted'' and ''Just My Imagination'' will have Paul Riser and Jerry Long re-writing their charts! And wait until you hear ''Someday We'll be Together''! Appreciate pure music and snap up a dose of alterna-Motown!
    TomBairdFan, Lamont Dozier is right. The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and choir's version of "I Hear A Symphony" is exquisite and gorgeous as can be. Whoever thought that a Motown tune, pretty and melodic as they are, could be turned into a classical-sounding choral work! The result is a choral masterpiece that would fit very comfortably on the Telarc or EMI Angel label. Thanks for sharing. My CD copy has been ordered, and it shipped today! - Gary