[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson Selling House in Vegas to Settle in L.A. to Study Acting

Las Vegas’ last Supreme, Mary Wilson, is moving to L.A. for what?

By DOUG ELFMAN
    LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Mary Wilson of the Supremes has lived in Las Vegas since the 1980s, but her plan to headline a regular Vegas residency eluded her, so she’s moving to L.A. to study acting with one of Halle Berry’s coaches.

This makes me even happier that I saw Wilson when I could, when she sang a great set of classics for last year’s One Drop charity. Wilson will also perform this Saturday and Sunday at the Suncoast Showroom.

“I’m trying to sell my house now,” Wilson said. “I wanted to work here, and settle here, because I’ve been traveling since 1963. I’ve been touring all that time.”

Wilson, 70, just finished a 10-day tour of Florida — and that was after touring Europe with the Rolling Stones’ Bill Wyman.

She wants to cut back on traveling for a reason we can all relate to: “Going through security at airports these days is horrible.”

I asked what price tag she placed on her fancy Anthem home [[“What do I have to give you to buy your house?”), but she only joked: “Money!” And we laughed, because who has Money?

Wilson said it has been a compliment whenever people [[like me) have asked when she’s going to do a reunited-with-Diana-Ross show on the Strip because it’s a reminder of the impact of the Supremes.

“For 50-some years, I’ve been in the business. So when people want to know what’s going on in your life, and they want to hear your music, it’s a great tribute,” she said.

“I don’t mind that they want us to get back together. It possibly can’t [[happen) because Florence [[Ballard, the other original Supreme) is no longer alive, and Diana is a wonderful superstar, so she doesn’t want to look back.”

I told Wilson I never know when her relationship with Ross is “up or down.”

But Wilson said there is no “up or down” with Ross despite what we conflict-lovers in the media have said over time.

“We’ve just kind of gone our different ways. There’s no reason or blow-out. We’ve had a couple of little things, but they weren’t really major in terms of us.”

Wilson almost landed a Vegas residency last year, but “something happened,” she said without elaborating.

What will she miss from Vegas?

“The Strip,” she said. “The only thing that’s really great for me is the Strip. Because other than that, it’s not L.A. It’s not Hollywood. I lived in Hollywood for years and years, and New York.”

But then, Wilson thought about that answer and amended it:

“After traveling and coming home, being able to come here at Anthem Country Club, and have a golf course right here, that was very comforting to me because I could hide here. I like that about Vegas.”

I told her Santana told me, a few years ago, that he got a house here partly because of Nevada’s low taxes.

“Let me tell you, that definitely was one of the pulls here for me, years ago, but I’ve kind of forgotten about it because I’ve been here so long. But he’s right about that,” Wilson said.

She lived in Hollywood in the late 1960s.

“Me and Cindy Birdsong [[another Supreme) — we were the first people from Motown who moved out there. I raised children there. I had many homes there,” she said.

“I always go to Los Angeles for my doctor appointments, all my beauty appointments, everything.”

She is taking acting classes from Margie Haber, whose clients have included Berry and Mariska Hargitay.

Wilson has acted on stage and even off-Broadway, but she has been touring the world so long, she hasn’t had a chance to stop and study acting — “and I believe in studying.”

Her shows this weekend will be “up-up-up, and I’ll be moving really fast, and I’ll be dressed in gorgeous gowns.”

She hopes locals go see about her, as well as tourists:

“I’ve lived in three houses here in Vegas over the years, so I’m looking for all my neighbors!”

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns...moving-la-what

I'm glad Mary is moving back to California,that's were most of her family and friends are.

You go, Mary. Follow your dreams.

Isn't this the home that she was selling several years ago? Mary will be fine....and fabulous, wherever she lands.

“We’ve just kind of gone our different ways. There’s no reason or blow-out. We’ve had a couple of little things, but they weren’t really major in terms of us.”
    While I appreciate her trying to be diplomatic, it also comes across as disingenuous, as if to suggest she has no idea why anyone would think otherwise. Really, Mary? Still, I'm glad she seems happy and in a good place.

I hope she moves back to New York sometime in the future.

I wish Mary would let us know when her new CD Claritys coming out and when her new movie Golden Shoe is coming out.

Roberta

well at least we know Margie and Mary have kept in touch after all these years

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    well at least we know Margie and Mary have kept in touch after all these years
    I was wondering if it was the same Margie that Mary wrote about her books.

In the past year or so, I saw Margie giving acting tips to a cast member of one of the reality shows. I can't remember which one.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I hope she moves back to New York sometime in the future.
    Yeah, I think she might have had better luck on Broadway.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    She was really good in "Grandma Sylvia's Funeral" and in "Beehive".

supremester Guest
    There could be acting gigs in LA for Mary and she did pretty well at Herb Alperts, she could do gigs like that all over SoCal.

supremester Guest
    Mary DISINGENUOUS????
    I'm getting the vapors at just brazenness of the suggestion.
    But since you brought it up, it IS ONE [[1) of my fave Mary quotes on the subject. I'm going to read to a bud later at coffee so I can see a real live spit-take that would make Danny Thomas proud.
    Personally, I find much more annoying. It possibly can’t [[happen) because Florence [[Ballard, the other original Supreme) is no longer alive, and Diana is a wonderful superstar, so she doesn’t want to look back.”
    First of all, last I heard, Flo had passed making it completely, totally IMpossible - if that's her example. Worse, is her "She's too high highfalutin' to mess with the peasants" comment about being a big superstar and not wanting to look back. "

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    While I appreciate her trying to be diplomatic, it also comes across as disingenuous, as if to suggest she has no idea why anyone would think otherwise. Really, Mary? Still, I'm glad she seems happy and in a good place.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    There could be acting gigs in LA for Mary and she did pretty well at Herb Alperts, she could do gigs like that all over SoCal.
    She is a Worldwide legend. She will never resign herself to just CA. That is ridiculous.

She said herself that she was tired of the traveling. She would have stay put in Vegas if she was offered a show. But that never happened. I thought she said she would move to England.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    She said herself that she was tired of the traveling. She would have stay put in Vegas if she was offered a show. But that never happened. I thought she said she would move to England.
    Yeah, but I know her, she will never stop traveling!

There is also no Cindy anymore so reunions passed the way of the "difficult" participant in 1983 and 2000. That one is done.

The CD is toast too unless it is a self released job.

Long trips get harder and harder the older you get. It isn't so much fun anymore.

How many songs did Mary get to do with Bill Wyman?

You can keep houses for sale forever if you put the price high enough. Las Vegas was one of the worst markets to sell a house in.

Any kind of acting job is a good idea.

She's always scrapped to try and keep her career alive; she should keep going til she drops.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    There is also no Cindy anymore so reunions passed the way of the "difficult" participant in 1983 and 2000. That one is done.

The CD is toast too unless it is a self released job.

Long trips get harder and harder the older you get. It isn't so much fun anymore.

How many songs did Mary get to do with Bill Wyman?

You can keep houses for sale forever if you put the price high enough. Las Vegas was one of the worst markets to sell a house in.

Any kind of acting job is a good idea.

She's always scrapped to try and keep her career alive; she should keep going til she drops.
    You are so funny! LOL!!!!

Crystaledwards Guest
    [QUOTE=REDHOT;266692]I'm glad Mary is moving back to California,that's were most of her family and friends are.[/QUOTE

I know how thrilled you will be to have Mary back in the City of Angeles Tony.

Miss Wilson told me at the Catalina Bar and Grill that she considers you a good friend and a great fan.

I haven't seen your sweet smiling face since 2010.

Happy New Year.

CE

supremester Guest
    I didn't say that, I just said she could get a lot of gigs there. Geesh, dear - grab more meds!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She is a Worldwide legend. She will never resign herself to just CA. That is ridiculous.

supremester Guest
    The late, GREAT Deke Richards - my hero!!

This made my day!!! Marv called Jobeterob funny and put....LOL and it was CIVIL!!
    Marv you dont know how much you made my day today!!!! Jobeterob and his list was funny too. I thank the both of you! I see a friendship coming out of this....LOL
    Polar opposites! On a lighter note Im glad Mary is going to pursue acting I know she would do well. I remember when she was interviewed by Dennis Wholey he said she would make a good talk show host. Could you see Mary doing Hot Topics like Wendy Williams?

I just hope whatever acting gig comes, please, PRETTY PLEASE, Mary, don't accept anything from Tyler Perry!!! For the love of humanity lmao

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I just hope whatever acting gig comes, please, PRETTY PLEASE, Mary, don't accept anything from Tyler Perry!!! For the love of humanity lmao

hehehehehehehe...........LOL! hehehehe....

I very much enjoyed reading the article/interview. Thanks for posting. I did not know, however, that she had been here in Florida for ten days. I didn't hear or read of any shows in Central Florida, however, she could have done some private events near the theme parks.

She wasp erforming Lena Horne show. Dates have been listed on her website. She was in Pam Beach, West Pam Beach etc.

supremester Guest
    I recall an interview where she was going to star in a Broadway musical. That was a few years ago, but she has the pipes for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post