[REMOVE ADS]

The "Original Album Series"

These may have been discussed on here before, but if so I don't remember. Anyway, there have been a ton of them released, and each package consists of five albums by a given artist in paper sleeves with no extras so as to keep the cost down.

If you shop wisely, you can get these packages for about $16-18 some places, which comes out to about $4 per CD. I think they are a great idea, even if you already have some or most of the albums.

Just go to your favorite website and do a search for "Original Album Series" and you will be amazed at what pops up. Some artists, Aretha comes to mind, have already had two different sets released. The newest ones I have gotten, which have just been released, are by Shirley Bassey and Sheena Easton.

Other soul artists you can find in this series are: Dionne Warwick, Margie Joseph, Natalie Cole, Randy Crawford, Sister Sledge, and Otis Redding.

Some artists that I would like to see receive this treatment would be Laura Branigan, Olivia Newton-John, Grace Jones, Millie Jackson, and Freda Payne, just to name a few, in case the manufacturers are taking requests!

I have been eyeing the O'Jays and Teddy Pendergrass boxes because I am missing a couple of their albums.

https://www.facebook.com/OriginalAlbumSeries

These are only Warner Music artists releases, so any of the ladies mentioned in the first post will not be part of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/OriginalAlbumSeries

These are only Warner Music artists releases, so any of the ladies mentioned in the first post will not be part of the series.
    You must be living in a strange alternate universe, then. All of those women recorded for Warner labels. Everyone knows Aretha was on Atlantic in the 60s and 70s. Dionne Warwick was on Warner Brothers in the 70s. Natalie Cole was on Elektra in the 80s. Sister Sledge was on both Cotillion and Atlantic. The other two were also on Warner labels.

As you should know, Warner Brothers, Elektra/Asylum, and and Atlantic Records formed what was once called WEA, that was formed way back in 1968. This was even true for Europe.

The Sony Music groups also have these sets. That's why I was able to mention the O'Jays and Teddy Pendergrass.
    Last edited by soulster; 01-09-2015 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    These may have been discussed on here before, but if so I don't remember. Anyway, there have been a ton of them released, and each package consists of five albums by a given artist in paper sleeves with no extras so as to keep the cost down.

If you shop wisely, you can get these packages for about $16-18 some places, which comes out to about $4 per CD. I think they are a great idea, even if you already have some or most of the albums.

Just go to your favorite website and do a search for "Original Album Series" and you will be amazed at what pops up. Some artists, Aretha comes to mind, have already had two different sets released. The newest ones I have gotten, which have just been released, are by Shirley Bassey and Sheena Easton.

Other soul artists you can find in this series are: Dionne Warwick, Margie Joseph, Natalie Cole, Randy Crawford, Sister Sledge, and Otis Redding.

Some artists that I would like to see receive this treatment would be Laura Branigan, Olivia Newton-John, Grace Jones, Millie Jackson, and Freda Payne, just to name a few, in case the manufacturers are taking requests!
    That's a great tip - I've been seeing these sets pop up here and there; I'll definitely go for the Chaka set as well as the Curtis Mayfield set; great buys! Thanks

I bought the Chaka set as it included her self-titled album from the early 80s. Previously I had only seen it as a very expensive import on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I bought the Chaka set as it included her self-titled album from the early 80s. Previously I had only seen it as a very expensive import on eBay.
    That was a great one - I loved them all and really want "Naughty"!

I've purchased a few of these... Harry Chapin, Isley Bros, Shuggie Otis, Lonnie Liston Smith They differ in titles, some are "original album series" and "original album classics".. The other ones to look out for are "complete album collection"... I've bought EW&F complete Columbian masters, Nina Simone complete Rca and Complete Bill Withers... worked out just over £1 an album.... such a steal

Re the O'jays & Teddy, I bought all the 2fers on the Westbound & Edsel labels a few years back
    Last edited by alexstassi; 01-09-2015 at 09:23 PM.

Soulster:
    I meant:

But I believe Laura Branigan was in Atlantic Records so there is a chance of a set of her records

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    But I believe Laura Branigan was in Atlantic Records so there is a chance of a set of her records
    Yes, she was on Atlantic. However, i'm wondering if there isn;t msome legal issue, or issue with the master tapes, because not all of her albums are available online. If there is a problem, they may not make a box for her.

Sister Sledge has a box, but "When The Boys Meet The Girls" is not included. No reason for it not to be included, as it has been issued on CD, and it is available online. But, it seems to me that they could have easily left off "Circle Of Love" and added it. Oh, well, maybe it has something to do with the fact that it was issued on Atlantic, and the rest of them were issued on Cotillion, and there is a difference in royalties. Same company.

I have Slave and Bootsy's Rubber Band. I have to say, those CD's have pretty smooth sound quality. And if you are in a car with a CD player, they make a great travel companion.

http://www.amazon.com/Slave-Original...l+album+series

They don't seem to be cheap anymore.

Crazy..... that's only £10 sterling in the UK

Anyway, they're a great find if you can get hold of them ... here are mineName:  IMG_20150111_231943.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  99.4 KB

I purchased the Chaka Khan set for the "Chaka Khan" cd because I had a hard time finding that one even though I had the others. This is still a great concept at a great price.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post

Sister Sledge has a box, but "When The Boys Meet The Girls" is not included. No reason for it not to be included, as it has been issued on CD, and it is available online. But, it seems to me that they could have easily left off "Circle Of Love" and added it. Oh, well, maybe it has something to do with the fact that it was issued on Atlantic, and the rest of them were issued on Cotillion, and there is a difference in royalties. Same company.
    I have to disagree with you soulster. Was glad to see "Circle of Love" as part of the set. It was a good album and should have been there since it was their debut. "When The Boys...", that's my least favorite of theirs under the Atco/Cotillion/Atlantic umbrella

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Sister Sledge has a box, but "When The Boys Meet The Girls" is not included. No reason for it not to be included, as it has been issued on CD, and it is available online.
    I figured out a possibility of why "When The Boys Meet The Girls" isn't included in the collection. The set is in hi-rez [[192 kHz/24-bit), and that particular album is a digital recording done at 44.1/16-bit. To include it and remain consistent with the rest of the set would have required that it be upsampled. They could have run it through another set of converters and rendered it at the higher sample rate, as they did with Madonna's "Like A Virgin", but, I suppose the powers that be decided it wasn't worth the $$$.

The other theory is that the royalty rate and/or publishing is different.

But, couldn't they have at least gotten the correct artwork for "All American Girls" instead of use that awful one that the Rhino CD used?

Quote Originally Posted by alexstassi View Post
    Anyway, they're a great find if you can get hold of them ... here are mineName:  IMG_20150111_231943.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  99.4 KB
    I already have the entire Isley Brothers and earth, Wind & Fire collections on CD. I should get Slave, as I only have three of their CDs right now.