[REMOVE ADS]

Question Record Stores in NYC??

Hey all!

I'm heading to New York for a trip in a couple of weeks and am looking for good record shops to visit. I am fairly familiar with New York and have already been to Bleecker Street, Academy Records and one more whose name escapes me. All of which were somewhat letdowns. Does anyone more familiar with the city know of ay must-visit record shops in the city, particularly near [[within 10 blocks or so) the Broadway area?

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    Hey all!

I'm heading to New York for a trip in a couple of weeks and am looking for good record shops to visit. I am fairly familiar with New York and have already been to Bleecker Street, Academy Records and one more whose name escapes me. All of which were somewhat letdowns. Does anyone more familiar with the city know of ay must-visit record shops in the city, particularly near [[within 10 blocks or so) the Broadway area?

Thanks!!
    I was there last Christmas and Times Square without Virgin or the 2 Towers, felt like a different city. I went into J&R Music World and there was hardly anything in the bins.
    i lived there for 20 years and I don't mean to be negative, but, good luck in finding a decent store. I couldn't find one. Maybe in the Village.

Greenwich Village may be your only option. All of the surviving record stores in NYC are in that location. Carmine's House of Oldies, Generation records, and a number of others are still in that existence.

From my experience, you may find vinyl record prices to be very high in a collectibles shop in NYC. Do check out the Village for sure. I would suggest you check out the gemm.com site to get a good grasp of what record shops around the world that have their inventory posted their charge for the specific items you are seeking. You can compare prices by condition of the vinyl, sealed or not, and cover condition as well. Unfortunately, postage costs have soared and you need to consider that into
    the equation. I used to love to look for vinyl shops when I travelled, and still do, but ultimately check out what is offered on gemm and find a much broader selection and much cheaper than on eBay, etc. Happy hunting!