[REMOVE ADS]

Billboards top female groups of all time

My only major disagreement is where are the Shirelles??

Do you think will we ever know exactly how many albums and singles they ever sold? [[Counting to the fact that their music is still being sold today.)

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    My only major disagreement is where are the Shirelles??
    I agree. Where are they? And also if this isthe Top Female Groups of ALL TIME, then why aren't the Andrews Sisters included? They sold over 75 million records, were popular from the late thirties through the entire forties decade, were stars in vaudeville, radio, movies and records, and after a brief breakup , they were still entertaining in concerts and on TV in the sixties - once with Motown's Supremes. The were before my time, but just because they are not known by the younger generation, they should not be ignored on a list of most popular female groups of all time. Arguably, they may have been the most popular female group of the 20th Century, although I love seeing my Supremes on top of the list

Kind of a no brainer when done on the basis of the Billboard Charts because no female group ever performed like the Supremes on the charts.

Sales wise in the 90's, it might have been different. But that is comparing apples to oranges.

When I checked this article, I took a look at the Top Album charts ~ Smokey Robinson is gone; Aretha Franklin is gone; and Barbra Streisand is still #13 with a couple of other Christmas albums on the chart as well. Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett are still fairly high too.

Neil Diamond and Barry Manilow are down around 100 or so, Diamond doing better.

And Whitney Houston's new live album is tanking ~ about #150 after 5 weeks.

Every year or so, a new list of the Top 10 Girl Groups of All-Time comes out and the Supremes consistemtly log in the top 3. I don't put much stock into any of them; sure, there are a few obvious choices: the Supremes, Destiny's Child, TLC being among them. Mostly these lists seem like a matter of opinion.

When I saw this list I was surprised to see the Marvelettes included. While nice, my first thought was: where are the Andrews Sisters?

The Supremes will forever be among the biggest female acts of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I agree. Where are they? And also if this isthe Top Female Groups of ALL TIME, then why aren't the Andrews Sisters included? They sold over 75 million records, were popular from the late thirties through the entire forties decade, were stars in vaudeville, radio, movies and records, and after a brief breakup , they were still entertaining in concerts and on TV in the sixties - once with Motown's Supremes. The were before my time, but just because they are not known by the younger generation, they should not be ignored on a list of most popular female groups of all time. Arguably, they may have been the most popular female group of the 20th Century, although I love seeing my Supremes on top of the list
    I agree

Edafan

the chart was configured differently in that era, there was no Hot 100 yet

They are finally starting to get it right.