[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross, Actress: What Sort Of Movie Would You Like To See Ms. Ross Star In?

Watching LSTB on Thanksgiving reminded me what an excellent actress our Ms. Ross is. As I look forward to a Christmas week repeat viewing of Mahogany I’ve been thinking: If you could have Diana Ross in a new movie opening this Christmas season, what sort of movie would it be?

A well-written continuation of Mahogany could be great, but sequels often disappoint. I’d like to see Ms. Ross in a good, dramatic-romantic role. Could be something show-bizzy like Bette Davis’ “All About Eve”, or a more realistic community-based plot about a local dr/nurse/community lawyer in a later-life romance.

What do you think?

Anything as long as she sings in it. [[All About Eve would require a younger female wanna-be singer to upstage Diana. Nobody [[in my book) could successfully upstage the ultimate Diva and Queen Of Motown! Nobody! With that in mind, a music-filled love story [[full of romantic tears but with a happy ending) would fit Diana's character and talents perfectly.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-20-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Good question,how about a very rich aunt who has to not only rescue her careless neices and nephews,but also has to teach them a lesson about fiscal responsibility at the end.

supremester Guest
    A remake of Mame - one of my fave musicals. I saw the original cast on Broadway and the only person with the class, glam, warmth and star power to handle it perfectly is Ross and I've thought so ever since I saw LSTB. When Lucy, who i loved in I Love Lucy was announced, my heart sank [[she can't sing and wasn't really up to the challenge acting-wise, but was pretty good in a few scenes.)

thomas96 Guest
    I wouldn't want to see her in any movie when there are probably many much better young actors and actresses who need a chance.

Diana Ross is good enough to to a sequel to Mahogany and have Tyra Banks or some model who can act co star with her. Ross deserves a chance to do a few more movies I know she has it in her,

supremester Guest
    It's highly unlikely that there are any roles a 70 year old woman would take from a young actor, don't you think? Better? Is up to the beholder. If the producer & director want an actor for a role, there is no one better to fulfill their vision.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    I wouldn't want to see her in any movie when there are probably many much better young actors and actresses who need a chance.

I think Diana should branch out and do a comedy.

supremester Guest
    A great script would make a cool political film - kind of Godfather 2 ish with present day and flashbacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Diana Ross is good enough to to a sequel to Mahogany and have Tyra Banks or some model who can act co star with her. Ross deserves a chance to do a few more movies I know she has it in her,

Diana is 71 next year and won't be making any movies so no point in speculating or fantasizing.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    It's highly unlikely that there are any roles a 70 year old woman would take from a young actor, don't you think? Better? Is up to the beholder. If the producer & director want an actor for a role, there is no one better to fulfill their vision.
    Not saying she would take their role, but she would take up a large portion of the budget, possibly eliminating other actors/actresses from starring in the film. And as copley said, there is no point in this and it is irrelevant. I agree, better is up to the beholder. And she hasn't done any decent movie without BG involved and that was only because she was sleeping with him. So, many "beholders" would agree. She's just not a great actress.

smark21 Guest
    I think her vanity about her age and wanting to be seen as youthful would prevent her from accepting any role except that as a pre-embryo.

I'd love to see her do a story where she played a gray haired older lady.

Hi Thomas!
    The title of the thread is "What Sort Of Movie Would You Like To See Diana In?"
    If you don't want to see Ms Ross in a new movie, you should have not read, nor replied - Correct?
    Best,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Diana is 71 next year and won't be making any movies so no point in speculating or fantasizing.
    Hey Copely!
    Well, FYI - there have been 71 year olds in films before. If this is your opinion, perhaps there was no point in replying?
    Best,
    Robert

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    Hi Thomas!
    The title of the thread is "What Sort Of Movie Would You Like To See Diana In?"
    If you don't want to see Ms Ross in a new movie, you should have not read, nor replied - Correct?
    Best,
    Robert
    This is a Motown forum. Diana Ross is no longer a Motown artist and any future movie has nothing to do with Motown. So, you should not have started this thread - correct?

Great ideas from so many of you!

Gary - true, but I was referring to a type of high-drama / comedy - but a music filled later-life love story would be superb!

arr&bee - LOVE IT! That's maybe a Tyler Perry film waiting to happen!

sumremester - You read my mind! I listened to the Angela Lansbury "Mame" on a car trip today and thought the same thing! Maybe Whoppie as Vera!

stephanie - Well of course I agree - written correctly a Mahogany sequel could be superb - what do you think Tracy would have done in the intervening years?

Thanks to all for your ideas! From our posts to Diana's ears, right?

Ga

This is a Motown forum. Diana Ross is no longer a Motown artist and any future movie has nothing to do with Motown. So, you should not have started this thread - correct?
    Hi again, Thomas - of course, incorrect. As a gentleman I request you refrain from negativity.
    Best,
    Robert

Dear Robert. This is an open forum. I have all Supremes/Diana's Motown recordings so I think that I could call myself a fan. I am also a realist. Diana is not a great actress and at almost 71 never will be. She was excellent in 'LSTB' but that's all. I doubt very much that she has any interest in acting ever again. If she did then a good supporting role would be best but then there are may great 70 yo actresses who would be ahead of the pack. Shirley MacLaine, Barbra Streisand, Dame Judi Dench, Dame Maggie Smith, Vanessa Redgrave, Faye Dunaway, Jane Fonda, Dame Julie Andrews, Betty White, Dame Eileen Atkins, Olympia Dukakis , Julie Christie etc, etc. However, it's your dream so carry on.

For the ones saying Diana is not a great actress. I strongly disagree. Besides LSTB did they not see "Out of Darkness"? Because if anybody says that was not great acting they really don't know what acting is!!

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    Hi again, Thomas - of course, incorrect. As a gentleman I request you refrain from negativity.
    Best,
    Robert
    It's not negativity. The negativity on this forum is the amount of Supremes/Diane threads. It's outrageous. Why not just rename it the "Diana Ross / Supremes Forum?"

Where should we post threads for Marvin Gaye, Miracles, Lionel Richie, Martha & the Vandellas, Jr Walker, Jackson 5, Four Tops, Temptations, Mary Wilson, Mary Wells, Commodores, Supremes, and PAT BOONE ? They also no longer record for Motown

I think Diana sort of gave up on Hollywood and the Big Screen. Tyler Perry has even tried to approach her but I believe she has no more interest. I would have love to seen her in one of the James Bond movies. Not as Bond's lady but as a villain.

I'd rather see her on stage either in a play or a musical revival. My choice would be something like APPLAUSE, which was a musical adaptation of the BETTE DAVIS movie ALL ABOUT EVE.

Of course she could always do a one woman show on Broadway about her life and career. But, she doesn't share and she doesn't bad mouth anyone. So that will never happen. I've seen a few great one woman shows with Bea Arthur, Carrie Fisher, Elaine Stritch and others. I'd love to see Diana do a show like that but that will happen when hell freezes over or when there is a reunion tour

I saw an interview where she said she didn't want to do any more movies because they are so time consuming. She'd probably prefer to hang around with her grandchildren. She must love performing to continue with the tours and it gives her some pocket change.

supremester Guest
    So call it "Diana Ross / Supremes Forum" if it makes you happy. No one cares.

If you don't like this forum, find one that you do like. Or do some volunteer work, donate blood, read to the blind, join a pets for seniors program. Find something to occupy your time that makes you happy. Has it been a long time since you were .....close with another? It seems like that may be the problem more than the threads people start that don't concern you.

People talk about what they want to talk about.
    YOU want to talk about what others like to talk about.
    Why not just talk about what you like to talk about and quit talking about things you don't like others to talk about?

In other words: quit whining. No one cares.

Put the spoken word version of Secrets Of A Sparrow on repeat, attach headphones and call me in the morning.

As Frank Nelson would say, "Geeeeeshhh."

It's not negativity. The negativity on this forum is the amount of Supremes/Diane threads. It's outrageous. Why not just rename it the "Diana Ross / Supremes Forum?"

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I'd rather see her on stage either in a play or a musical revival. My choice would be something like APPLAUSE, which was a musical adaptation of the BETTE DAVIS movie ALL ABOUT EVE.

Of course she could always do a one woman show on Broadway about her life and career. But, she doesn't share and she doesn't bad mouth anyone. So that will never happen. I've seen a few great one woman shows with Bea Arthur, Carrie Fisher, Elaine Stritch and others. I'd love to see Diana do a show like that but that will happen when hell freezes over or when there is a reunion tour
    Wow! I had forgotten "all about" Applause! That would be great! I'll play the cast album today - thanks for the positive reply!

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Where should we post threads for Marvin Gaye, Miracles, Lionel Richie, Martha & the Vandellas, Jr Walker, Jackson 5, Four Tops, Temptations, Mary Wilson, Mary Wells, Commodores, Supremes, and PAT BOONE ? They also no longer record for Motown
    Perfect response! Be well and Happy Holidays - Best, Robert

I do so agree with the above. 99% of all artists who recorded for Motown left years ago! David Ruffin, Jimmy Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, BLINKY WILLIAMS, Kim Weston, Brenda Holloway, Gladys Knight, Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, Jean Terrell, Florence Ballard, Barbara McNair, Barbara Randolph, Four Tops, Temptations [[mind you they change labels as often as their line up), Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, Jr Walker, Jacksons, Mary Wells, Mabel John, Liz Lands, Patrice Holloway, Martha Reeves, Commodores, Lionel Richie, Edwin Starr, Isley Brothers, Spinners, Thelma Houston etc, etc! The only big names that I can think of who stayed the distance are Stevie Wonder & Marvelettes. However they will always be Motown artists to me.
    Last edited by copley; 12-21-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Lady and Darkness were great. I offer that she should play a powerful corporate exec maybe a lawyer [[law and order type character). I'd like to see her really challenge herself and exert power in a meaty role. rBut it would have to be written by the best. Of course she'd have to do something with her iconic hair. Do we know if Hollywood has been offering movie roles over the years and she just turns them down? Do we think she would be marketable and enough of a draw for a well- written movie?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    ...... Do we know if Hollywood has been offering movie roles over the years and she just turns them down? Do we think she would be marketable and enough of a draw for a well- written movie?

Tyler Perry has been trying to get her for years, but I think he finally gave up. He wanted her to play a singer in a 1940's juke joint, a role she has already played. I don't think that Diana is a fan of Tyler's work- especially his Madea movies. Neither am I. They remind me of the blaxpoitation movies of the seventies. But I think that Diana could have at least had a meeting with him, learn about his project, give some input into what she would like or not like and then make a decision. I'm sure Tyler is capable of doing movies outside of the Madea genre, and maybe he wanted someone of Diana's stature to get him to that level. She should have at least taken his call and read the script to see if it was well written.

Interesting that the continued bulk of the threads attracting much attention are Diana Ross threads.

I don't think Tyler Perry had in mind anything like Madea for Diana. She just didn't want to do any movie due to the time commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    I do so agree with the above. 99% of all artists who recorded for Motown left years ago! David Ruffin, Jimmy Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, BLINKY WILLIAMS, Kim Weston, Brenda Holloway, Gladys Knight, Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, Jean Terrell, Florence Ballard, Barbara McNair, Barbara Randolph, Four Tops, Temptations [[mind you they change labels as often as their line up), Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, Jr Walker, Jacksons, Mary Wells, Mabel John, Liz Lands, Patrice Holloway, Martha Reeves, Commodores, Lionel Richie, Edwin Starr, Isley Brothers, Spinners, Thelma Houston etc, etc! The only big names that I can think of who stayed the distance are Stevie Wonder & Marvelettes. However they will always be Motown artists to me.
    I Second That Emotion! Once a Motown artist, FOREVER a Motown artist.

Lady and Darkness were great. I offer that she should play a powerful corporate exec maybe a lawyer [[law and order type character). I'd like to see her really challenge herself and exert power in a meaty role. rBut it would have to be written by the best. Of course she'd have to do something with her iconic hair. Do we know if Hollywood has been offering movie roles over the years and she just turns them down? Do we think she would be marketable and enough of a draw for a well- written movie?
    He, "de"- I don't know; my guess is there probably have not been many offers - the same old/same old problem of ageism, etc. Marketable, yes. Draw, most likely no. But it is nice to speculate about. As a best-case scenario I'd love to see it happen. Your ideas are great. A TV series arc with a character as you describe would be cool and probably attract the older, at-home audience to a series they would not normally watch - Great Post!

The Mary Wilson Story

she can [[ not ) take your pick play Mary

edafan

Producer/Director Lee Daniels also wanted Diana to star in one of his movies.

I saw an article today saying there were NO roles for women that were 50 this year. LOL, and we are talking 70!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I saw an article today saying there were NO roles for women that were 50 this year. LOL, and we are talking 70!
    Is there a link you can provide. Doesnt Meryl Streep have a movie out?
    thanks

Is there a link you can provide. Doesnt Meryl Streep have a movie out?
    thanks
    Meryl Streep is the one exception to that statement. She could get a role even if she were 100

edafan

I'd have to go searching to see if I can find; it was an article about someone who was 50. I'll take a look and see what I can come up with.

Robert, I don't know why I didn't think.of this before -- I'm still waiting to see Diana star in The Josephine Baker Story. It was her dream to make that movie, and it would be full of Diana's musical performances. It sounds like a winner to me! - Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Robert, I don't know why I didn't think.of this before -- I'm still waiting to see Diana star in The Josephine Baker Story. It was her dream to make that movie, and it would be full of Diana's musical performances. It sounds like a winner to me! - Gary
    Hi Gary - Well, we all wish that had happened. I guess Diana could still do a Baker story, based more upon the post-40 years with the adapted childred and all - but at this point there would probably have to be a separate actress for the younger years - which actually could still yield an interesting film.

Miss Diana does not want to act. Tyler Perry has been on her ass for years, and she has pretty much ignored him. Diana wants to sing and be Mom and Grandma.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Thanks, I get the point. But there are certainly exceptions. Interesting to see wht happens to Halle When she hits 50.