[REMOVE ADS]

You know, I had NEVER heard of the "5" Royales.. how the hell did they get in there? Did they ever have a hit record? This whole thing is quite the joke. The big 3 from the early days that have not been inducted that TOTALLY deserve it are Neil Sedaka, Connie Francis, and Chubby Checker.

RossHolloway Guest
    Just a question: all the individual Beatles have been inducted along with the group. And the Supreme's are inducted as a group but not Diana Ross as a solo artist?

The 5 Royales are a very influential group from the 50's. I agree that Chubby Checker should have been among the first put in the RRHOF.

No Marvelettes or Chic this year I hear. No Ross as a solo artist; she likely won't go in as a Solo Artist; neither she or Streisand are/were rock enough. No Whitney Houston either yet, right?

I would argue that Streisand is not rock AT ALL. It's like inducting Rosemary Clooney or Frank Sinatra.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    I would argue that Streisand is not rock AT ALL. It's like inducting Rosemary Clooney or Frank Sinatra.
    Like..................

The Marvelettes DID once again make it onto the extended ballot this year, which means they are still being considered, but they again did not make the final cut!!

The Marvelettes pumped out a significant number of Motown hits and some are significant and remembered - Postman, Bill, and The Hunter. They are likely held back by the lack of many albums. I notice the R & B Groups do poorly in the fan vote. Honestly not sure given the poor reputation of the RRHOF, whether the Marvelettes will ever make it.

I am puzzled as to why Ringo Starr got in with the Award for Musical Excellence. That award is given to "those musicians, producers and others who have spent their careers out of the spotlight working with major artists on various parts of their recording and live careers." It was originally the Sidemen category which James Jamerson and Benny Benjamin received. Ringo was very much in the spotlight with his own career. I personally think it's the Rock Hall sneaky way of getting him since he clearly did not have the influence or career the other three Beatles had. People like the Andantes deserve this award, not him.

I tend to agree that despite the success of "diana" and "Lady Sings the Blues" which had edge.....the perception of Diana's solo work leans heavily Adult Contemporary. I think it is an unfair read because she has released some great dance and jazz music. But if both Chic and Donna Summer had difficulty being inducted, the industry still probably regards Diana as A/C.
    Oddly enough, her last appearance at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, she gave an impromptu acapella performance of "Strange Fruit" as she honored Billie Holiday.
    I have always been uncomfortable with the phrase, "perception is reality". And here is another example of that phrase.
    Now if Streisand was being inducted, I would be a lot more upset.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I am puzzled as to why Ringo Starr got in with the Award for Musical Excellence. That award is given to "those musicians, producers and others who have spent their careers out of the spotlight working with major artists on various parts of their recording and live careers." It was originally the Sidemen category which James Jamerson and Benny Benjamin received. Ringo was very much in the spotlight with his own career. I personally think it's the Rock Hall sneaky way of getting him since he clearly did not have the influence or career the other three Beatles had. People like the Andantes deserve this award, not him.
    Just another example of how, since the early days, they have compromised the integrity of the Hall of Fame.

it somewhat mirrors the history of what RS supported [[Butterfield Blues band...really?)... besides Marvin and Stevie and sometimes Smokey, RS downplayed Motown in favor of Stax and especially Atlantic [[Ahmet spent money on ads in RS, Gordy didn't)...and $$$$$ were rewarded and the melody lingers on..wasn't till Lady Sings that Ross and/or Supremes weren't written off as show biz floss..all those great records were written off as trash..look it up, old issues.. they hated the 'nightclub' aspect of Motown in the 60's..and Jann still runs the show and the R&RHOF

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    I tend to agree that despite the success of "diana" and "Lady Sings the Blues" which had edge.....the perception of Diana's solo work leans heavily Adult Contemporary. I think it is an unfair read because she has released some great dance and jazz music. But if both Chic and Donna Summer had difficulty being inducted, the industry still probably regards Diana as A/C.
    Oddly enough, her last appearance at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, she gave an impromptu acapella performance of "Strange Fruit" as she honored Billie Holiday.
    I have always been uncomfortable with the phrase, "perception is reality". And here is another example of that phrase.
    Now if Streisand was being inducted, I would be a lot more upset.
    Oh Please... she's no more A/C than Dusty Springfield, and she was inducted 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    it somewhat mirrors the history of what RS supported [[Butterfield Blues band...really?)... besides Marvin and Stevie and sometimes Smokey, RS downplayed Motown in favor of Stax and especially Atlantic [[Ahmet spent money on ads in RS, Gordy didn't)...and $$$$$ were rewarded and the melody lingers on..wasn't till Lady Sings that Ross and/or Supremes weren't written off as show biz floss..all those great records were written off as trash..look it up, old issues.. they hated the 'nightclub' aspect of Motown in the 60's..and Jann still runs the show and the R&RHOF
    Absolutely! Remember the controversy when he basically shut out the Dave Clark Five in favor of Grandmaster Flash because he felt the Rock Hall needed a rap act. The Rock Hall is still an old dead white man's club. Just look at who's being inducted this year. And how long has it been since a Motown act was on the ballot, vote on and inducted? Nearly 18 years ago with the Jackson 5 in 1997. Prior to that it was almost every year some Motown act or performer got inducted.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    The Rock Hall is still an old dead white man's club. Just look at who's being inducted this year.

OMG! LOL!!!! hehehehehehehehehehe........!

joan jett but not Connie Francis?
    5 Royales were influential arly r&b group harmony group that influenced many doowop groups that followed like Drifters,Clovers etc which in turn influenced Tempts,Tops,Manhattans,etc and also James Brown who redid their song from 1957 "Think".

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyKen View Post
    joan jett but not Connie Francis?
    5 Royales were influential arly r&b group harmony group that influenced many doowop groups that followed like Drifters,Clovers etc which in turn influenced Tempts,Tops,Manhattans,etc and also James Brown who redid their song from 1957 "Think".
    Oh stuff! Connie Francis was suppose to go in at the same time as Aretha back in 1986 or 87! Not to have Chubby Checker there is a crime.

Oh Please... she's no more A/C than Dusty Springfield, and she was inducted 15 years ago.
    I am going to tell you the truth. Diane's problem arose when she snubbed the Hall by not attending the Supremes induction back in 1988. She's shown up there multiple times since then to try to make good but some people have a looonnnngggg memories!
    Last edited by marv2; 12-16-2014 at 10:42 PM.

I can see Bill Withers and even Green day...but Joan Jett??? I've never even heard a note by Paul Butterfield.

The R&R HOF is a joke.

Diana Ross, The Marvelettes, Connie Francis, and Chubby Checker ALL deserve to be nominated and inducted. I grew up with all of 'em and they ALL had hit-after-hit pop records on the charts -- consistently. The fact that Connie and Diana also released Adult Contemporary records shouldn't matter. They had enough Pop hits to justify induction.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-17-2014 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Diana Ross, The Marvelettes, Connie Francis, and Chubby Checker. ALL deserve to be nominated and inducted. I grew up with all of 'em and they ALL had hit-after-hit pop records on the charts -- consistently.
    Are Dionne Warwick and Chaka Khan/Rufus in there?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Are Dionne Warwick and Chaka Khan/Rufus in there?
    I don't know, Marv. I haven't been keeping up on it. I only know what I'm reading here, and what I've been wishing for all along as far as inductions. If Dionne has never been inducted, she certainly should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I don't know, Marv. I haven't been keeping up on it. I only know what I'm reading here, and what I've been wishing for all along as far as inductions. If Dionne has never been inducted, she certainly should be.
    They pretty much jumped past a lot of the pioneer artists of the fifties and early sixties.

All of the inductees in alphabetical order. Hope this helps! :-)

https://rockhall.com/inductees/alphabetical/

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    All of the inductees in alphabetical order. Hope this helps! :-)

https://rockhall.com/inductees/alphabetical/

Helps a bunch! Thank you very much Longtimefan!

Thanks for the list, longtimefan! In general, I have to wonder -- I noticed that Darlene Love, The Ronettes, and The Righteous Brothers all made it into the R&R HOF. Why not The Crystals? They had more hits/releases than any of the other Philles artists.

The HOF is just like us making a list of our "favorite" artists. You can argue about it but because we can make the list, we can put who we want on our list. They aren't much different.

Richard Street should be in there.

edafan

I would not be surprised if no further Motown artists ever got in.

I hope the Marvelettes get in and it would be great if the did induct Richard Street.

Why should Richard Street be inducted? As a Temptation, isn't he in the hall as a member of the group?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryon6 View Post
    Why should Richard Street be inducted? As a Temptation, isn't he in the hall as a member of the group?
    The Tempts that were inducted were Otis, Eddie, David, Dennis, Melvin, and Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryon6 View Post
    He was left off the list of inductees when the Tempts were inducted. As long running member and true contributor to the group's continued success, Richard should have been inducted.

Mary Wells & the Marvelettes were/are more influential then most of those inducted.It is a crime that Chubby Checker was not one of the first inducted.

Another person that should be inducted as a pioneer of the Genre:

Another person that should be inducted as a pioneer of the Genre:

Sister Rosetta's not in there?!!???!? That's a doggone disgrace.