[REMOVE ADS]

So What Is Your Favorite NON-Motown R&B / Soul Christmas Album?

I love Gladys Knight & The Pips [[both), Aretha's had some beautifull performances, the SalSoul Orchestra is great fun - and many more - but I think my favorite non-Motown is Kenny Burrell's "Have Yourself A Soulful Little Christmas". What's yours? Non-Motown artists only!

A Christmas Gift from Philles Records
    Merry Christmas - Patti LaBelle & the Bluebelles
    Sweet Little Jesus Boy - Mahalia Jackson

SOUL CHRISTMAS. It was released in 1968, I believe, on the Atco label. It features Xmas songs from Clarence Carter, King Curtis, Carla Thomas, Otis Redding, and others. When I was a child, my dad broke out this album every year.

Of more recent vintage, I like quite a few songs on Aretha's Xmas album.

There are also some good performances on Ledisi's Xmas album. I was in the Virgin Megastore in Times Square, and they were playing it over the pa system. I didn't know who it was, but it sounded so good that I bought it.

Re individual tracks, I like Brook Benton's SOUL SANTA, Margie Joseph's CHRISTMAS GIFT, and of course, Donny Hathaway's THIS CHRISTMAS.

Oh, and of course, both of Mariah Carey's Christmas albums. Between her spirited vocals, the fresh arrangements, and that powerful gospel choir, she is easily the Queen of Christmas. Just ordered a vinyl edition of her first Christmas album.

Soul Christmas and Charles Brown's Cool Christmas Blues are the first that come to mind. My favorite Christmas songs are 'Merry Christmas Baby' and 'Please Come Home For Christmas'.

James Brown's "A Soulful Christmas" from 1968 with the cut "Santa Claus, Go Straight to the Ghetto"

smark21 Guest
    Vanessa Williams' first Christmas album from the mid 90s.

I can't remember the album but it was a compilation for a charity in the early 90's. Whitney Houston, "Do You Hear What I Hear":

The nat king cole xmas album is cool.

Hi!

"A Dramatic Christmas" by the Dramatics and both "Home For Christmas", and "Christmas With The O'Jays" By the O'Jays are all hidden gems.

Best regards
    Heikki

Heikki, I agree.

Love this one:
    ***Wouldn't post, I am giving up trying to post anything anymore! The photo uploader is so outdated.***
    GRRRRRRRRRRR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Anyway, "Soul Christmas" with The Manhattans and other sweet groups and soul artists from the 1960's.
    Followed by about a dozen other favs.

Have a great Holiday everyone!!!

BYE,
    S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I can't remember the album but it was a compilation for a charity in the early 90's. Whitney Houston, "Do You Hear What I Hear":

Marv, I've always loved this version. I always wish she had recorded a Christmas album back around this time. Her 2003 album is very lackluster.

Great posts, everyone! I've learned of some new [[to me) selections and been reminded of some forgotten ones as well.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    Marv, I've always loved this version. I always wish she had recorded a Christmas album back around this time. Her 2003 album is very lackluster.
    It was on "A Very Special Christmas" Vol. 1 on A&M. It was the most successful in the series of 3-4 albums.....going platinum. Clearly, Clive did not have her record like Michael Jackson and/or most artists did in the 60s and 70s. The handful of songs that have been released from the vaults have been underwhelming in my humble opinion. There had been discussions of a holiday album as far back as the late 80s. Unfortunately, after "Just Whitney" broke her string of multi-platinum albums, the Christmas album was hastily recorded in October/November 2003 to make quick billing especially after her much ballyhooed $100 mil new Arista deal. In retrospect, "One Wish" would have never been released at that time considering how in little time it was done. Despite several proposals, including a television special, she was unavailable for any marketing opportunities involving her in person. Hence the album barely went Gold. Had this come out in 1987-88, it's a safe bet that it had the potential to be a perrennial best seller for years to come.

Honestly, in the 4 short weeks from Thanksgiving to Christmas, I can barely remember to listen to "A Motown Christmas" and/or Diana Ross' "A Very Special Season" or "Christmas in Vienna" or "Merry Christmas" by The Supremes [[which in actuality is a Diana Ross solo album).

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    It really has become a classic Christmas recording and I just learned that it was released earlier than I initially remember. It was released for Christmas 1987 on October 12, 1987. Time really does fly.

Aretha's 60's Christmas album was a good one:

My favorite cut from the above album......

Alexander O'Neal "My Gift To You"
    Christmas With Yolanda Adams
    Ledesi "It's Christmas"
    The Whispers "Happy Holidays To You"
    Various Gospel Artists- The Real Meaning Of Christmas Volume 2

The Stylistics: Christmas CD
    Release Date: 07/05/2005
    Record Label: Amherst Records

Track Listing
    1. Little Drummer Boy, The
    2. Christmas Song, The
    3. Silent Night
    4. This Christmas
    5. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
    6. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
    7. When You've Got Love, It's Christmas All Year Long
    8. I Wanna Be Wrapped in Your Arms This Christmas
    9. What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?
    10. Silver Bells
    11. I'll Be Home for Christmas
    12. Auld Lang Syne
    13. Christmas Medley: Jingle Bells/Santa Claus Is Coming to ...: Jimgle Bells / Santa Claus Is Coming To Town / Winter Wonderland

Here's mine...

Name:  $_57.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  88.6 KB

I don't know if he ever had a Christmas album but Iove Earl Grant's "Silver Bells" and "Jingle Bells".

This is Christmas - Luther Vandross