[REMOVE ADS]

Is Diana Ross becoming the most successful & longest running Motown live act ever?

With new tour dates announced, I'm wondering if Ms. Ross could be considered the most successful live act ever. Michael Jackson toured to much larger crowds, but less frequently; the Tops/Temps is/are on another go-round but most members are not original members so to my evaluation don't count. Gladys Knight could be on the list; of course Stevie still commands arenas but also in frequently. So, based on an imaginary formula of number of years / number of headine concerts / number of seats sold, would Diana hold the record?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    With new tour dates announced, I'm wondering if Ms. Ross could be considered the most successful live act ever. Michael Jackson toured to much larger crowds, but less frequently; the Tops/Temps is/are on another go-round but most members are not original members so to my evaluation don't count. Gladys Knight could be on the list; of course Stevie still commands arenas but also in frequently. So, based on an imaginary formula of number of years / number of headine concerts / number of seats sold, would Diana hold the record?
    I think based on the number of YEARS, that honor would go to the First Lady of Motown, Dr. Martha Rose Reeves. She started with the Del-Phi's in 1957, and has tour dates well into 2015.

As far as number of concerts and seats, my guess would be MJ. Diana would be a close second.

The touring has made her very upfront again; she must love it.

A lot of other try kind of second tier artists are out there as well; I include Martha in that group, sorry guys; some of them might be out there more even but it just doesn't make it into the press much because they can be very small shows.

Although he wasn't with Motown in the early years, Lionel does extremely well.

what about Duke from the Four Tops? they were touring in the 50s. and he's still out there.

Gladys Knight too - she started as a young child on tv.

from a volume perspective, i think Diana takes it. the Supremes were among the largest concert draws for Motown in the 60s. both in terms of audience headcount, number of shows/tours and booking rates/$. of the 60s artists that continued into the 70s, she certainly was among the top concert draws. Marvin went into seclusion often, Smokey would retire for periods. stevie was a huge draw too. Martha would still be a draw too but by late 70s/80s she'd transitioned in the "oldies" circuit. Diana was still selling out arenas in the 80s worldwide and internationally in the 90s. here in the 2000s and beyond she's still a solid amphitheater attraction

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Although he wasn't with Motown in the early years, Lionel does extremely well.
    That's true - Lionel is still big-time; were his solo hits on Motown? I don't remember - but it would be a contender [[though he does not go back as far as Ross)

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    what about Duke from the Four Tops? they were touring in the 50s. and he's still out there.

Gladys Knight too - she started as a young child on tv.

from a volume perspective, i think Diana takes it. the Supremes were among the largest concert draws for Motown in the 60s. both in terms of audience headcount, number of shows/tours and booking rates/$. of the 60s artists that continued into the 70s, she certainly was among the top concert draws. Marvin went into seclusion often, Smokey would retire for periods. stevie was a huge draw too. Martha would still be a draw too but by late 70s/80s she'd transitioned in the "oldies" circuit. Diana was still selling out arenas in the 80s worldwide and internationally in the 90s. here in the 2000s and beyond she's still a solid amphitheater attraction
    Well, as I stated in my question I'm wondering about a more quantifiable measure - so Gladys could be a contender for sure. I guess it would be "ungentlemanly" to not include Duke on the list even with the substitute members.

supremester Guest
    The only contenders are Ross and MJ. Gladys' headlining days, though many, have never been known to favor arenas - though certainly there has been some. I think Ross, playing more gigs than anyone, usually in arenas aound the world for decades, would win, however, MJ drew huge crowds - often in stadiums, when he worked. Gladys, Stevie Tops etc were not huge international draws so it has to be Ross or MJ and I'm going with Ross for frequency and duration.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I think based on the number of YEARS, that honor would go to the First Lady of Motown, Dr. Martha Rose Reeves. She started with the Del-Phi's in 1957, and has tour dates well into 2015.

As far as number of concerts and seats, my guess would be MJ. Diana would be a close second.
    yes marybrewster the First Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves has to be one of the most successfull artists from the Motown label. The lady is still in high demands all over the world today and puts on on of the beszt live shows ive ever seen.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    yes marybrewster the First Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves has to be one of the most successfull artists from the Motown label. The lady is still in high demands all over the world today and puts on on of the beszt live shows ive ever seen.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta
    I feel lucky today! I thought I might have got in trouble for not giving Martha enough credit.

In terms of tenacity and determination, I would either give it to Martha Reeves or Mary Wilson - they've both worked very hard.

Of course,she's also the longest running act on the motown forum,

I notice no one has mentioned Otis and the Tempts.

Yes she is.

totally forgot about MJ - i think he wins. the J5 were huge huge concert draws. they sold out Madison Square Garden in 70. then as the Jackson their tours were enormous and MJ's solo stuff was too.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I feel lucky today! I thought I might have got in trouble for not giving Martha enough credit.

In terms of tenacity and determination, I would either give it to Martha Reeves or Mary Wilson - they've both worked very hard.
    You dodge a bullet dear. lol

I have to be honrest and say that the First lady of Motpwn Dr Martha Reeves is the hardest working woman in entertainment imo.

Fondly,

Roberta

supremester Guest
    Tempts didn't draw close to DR&TS in the 60's until later on - they did a lot of Motown Revues and headlined theaters only in certain markets until a few arena dates at their peak. I'm thinking # of seats sold in the career as a single draw or shared points if on a bill. They have worked more dates than any other act in the last ten years - but mostly small venues. Though huge, I don't think they are contenders as they have played small venues for over 3 decades.
    MJ vs Ross: Of course, Ross had the huge head start before the J5 even began to tour in mid '70. By then, Ross was solo and not very bookable beyond clubs and theaters in certain markets.[[ Remember that the public perception was that she was kind of an unknown entity.) All that changed by '73 and she's been doing arenas for decades interationally - and consistently. She's doing arenas in Asia in a few weeks. MJ played lots of arenas, but went years several times not performing at all. The more I think of it, I'm sure it's Ross.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I notice no one has mentioned Otis and the Tempts.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    totally forgot about MJ - i think he wins. the J5 were huge huge concert draws. they sold out Madison Square Garden in 70. then as the Jackson their tours were enormous and MJ's solo stuff was too.
    He would've won had he stayed consistent, but after 1989 or so he was less consistent. Interesting to note, except for those two MSG shows in 2001, he never did a concert tour in the U.S. again after the '80s.

In terms of sold out seats, MJ would've topped it but his was more outside Motown. In order to count MJ for Motown, you have to count the J5. But even then, their time on top where they sold out arenas/stadiums was brief in the U.S. after 1972.

Technically, the longest running Motown live act, is Stevie Wonder, who was and is still, Motown.

Didn't Diana left the company around 1999-2000-ish?

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    He would've won had he stayed consistent, but after 1989 or so he was less consistent. Interesting to note, except for those two MSG shows in 2001, he never did a concert tour in the U.S. again after the '80s.

In terms of sold out seats, MJ would've topped it but his was more outside Motown. In order to count MJ for Motown, you have to count the J5. But even then, their time on top where they sold out arenas/stadiums was brief in the U.S. after 1972.
    Won what? Is there plans to award a trophy to somebody for this feat?

Yes and here it is, smark21!
    Name:  smartass.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  39.5 KB

I think we need to give that trophy to Smark21 for sure; he plays his role with humour and flair.

The touring trophy? Well, I think we should give the biggest touring trophy to Miss Ross and less trophies to the Jackson Estate, Tempts, Duke, Stevie, Martha etc.

Heck, why would we change the way Motown operated now? Especially when the Musical and M25 have been so hot ~ back to #1!

Lulu Guest
    Where's the obligatory "No, it's Mary Wilson" post?