[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    smark21 Guest

Is Jackson 5 Xmas album the best Motown Christmas album?

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Yeah, I think so.

..no...it isn't..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    ..no...it isn't..
    What then, in your opinion, is the best Motown Christmas album?

It is one of them. I like the Tempts too. With the J5 they had the advantage of Michael being young. So it sounds perfect when he sings about Santa Claus coming to town. Or seeing mommy kissing Santa Claus, or singing about Frosty the snowman. Young Michael Jackson had a great voice as well. It was the perfect combination of soul, Motown, and Christmas classics.

I would personally give the edge to the Temptations' album...great throughout and their version of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is the best EVER, period. Luckily we don't have to choose! J5, Tempts and Stevie are all on my current rotation, and not sure if the Miracles recorded a full-length xmas album but their songs on the xmas compilation are terrific [[particularly their version of Winter Wonderland).

Quote Originally Posted by marymary View Post
    I would personally give the edge to the Temptations' album...great throughout and their version of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is the best EVER, period. Luckily we don't have to choose! J5, Tempts and Stevie are all on my current rotation, and not sure if the Miracles recorded a full-length xmas album but their songs on the xmas compilation are terrific [[particularly their version of Winter Wonderland).
    Yeah the Miracles recorded a full Christmas album released in 1962. I have it. The Tempts released 2 Christmas albums. The Supremes, Stevie and the Four Tops also issued Christmas albums. I liked the Jackson 5' the best.

J5 is one of the best, but not the best. Theirs is the best contemporary Motown Christmas album, while the Supremes' is the best "classic" Motown Christmas album.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah the Miracles recorded a full Christmas album released in 1962. I have it. The Tempts released 2 Christmas albums. The Supremes, Stevie and the Four Tops also issued Christmas albums. I liked the Jackson 5' the best.
    Marv , Smokey and the Miracles released a second album called "The Season For Miracles " TS. 307 in 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Marv , Smokey and the Miracles released a second album called "The Season For Miracles " TS. 307 in 1970.
    Roger, that's right. I remember that one now too. They had the Miracles and their families pictured together on the cover.

The Miracles recorded and released two full Motown Christmas albums -- "Christmas With The Miracles" [[1962) and "The Season For Miracles" [[around 1970). The album cover for the latter was especially cool as it showed each member of The Miracles posed around the tree with their spouses including Wanda Rogers of The Marvelettes [[married to Miracle member Bobby Rogers) holding her new-born.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    The Miracles recorded and released two full Motown Christmas albums -- "Christmas With The Miracles" [[1962) and "The Season For Miracles" [[around 1970). The album cover for the latter was especially cool as it showed each member of The Miracles posed around the tree with their spouses including Wanda Rogers of The Marvelettes [[married to Miracle member Bobby Rogers) holding her new-born.
    I also believe the photo was taken at Bobby and Wanda's home in Southfield, Michigan at the time.

thomas96 Guest
    I would say J-5 is the best Motown Xmas album.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    I would say J-5 is the best Motown Xmas album.
    I think the key to that album being so well received was that it was by kids for kids! We played that album at all our little school Christmas parties and celebrations.

thomas96 Guest
    I think the key to that album being so well received was that it was by kids for kids! We played that album at all our little school Christmas parties and celebrations.
    Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without seeing kids' faces light up at the sight of presents.

My favorite is The Supremes Merry Christmas in mono!

I have all the Motown Christmas albums on vinyl and CD. I bought them as they were released and enjoyed them all. I particularly enjoy both Miracles, both Temptations and Stevie Wonder's Christmas albums more now than I did years ago. I'm not fond of the J5 Christmas album [[I think that is the only one I don't have on CD).

Favorite songs: Supremes - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, Twinkle Twinkle Little Me;
    Miracles - Christmas Everyday; Temptations - Rudolph The Red-Nose Reindeer, Christmas Everyday; Stevie Wonder - Someday At Christmas

supremester Guest
    The J5 LP is a fine Christmas album, but is my least fave of the four. I prefer The Supremes, Tempts, Stevie, J5 in that order - but I like them all. Just a Lonely Christmas......... ahhhhh perfection!

I also believe the photo was taken at Bobby and Wanda's home in Southfield, Michigan at the time.
    That's cool, Marv. I didn't know that. Thanks!

The temps give love at christmas is the best.

I, too, bought all of the Motown Christmas albums upon their original release. I love them all, but, if I had to choose a favorite, it would be The Supremes.

But, I also love THIS! [[Forgive me, as it isn’t Motown, but I simply couldn’t resist!) This particular title was RE-reissued by Sundazed Records in honor of Black Friday two weeks ago. For those who may be interested, here is A Christmas Gift For You From Philles Records released -- for the first time ever – in glorious red vinyl!

http://www.sundazed.com/shop/product...oducts_id=2609

As expected, it sold out in no time at all. There are still, however, a few copies available on eBay. [[My copy arrived yesterday!) If you’re not into Philles Records, just ignore it. But if you’re a Phil Spector Wall-Of-Sound fanatic like me, REJOICE!

Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-10-2014 at 03:07 AM.

honest man Guest
    [QUOTE=Roger Polhill;Hello i have asked this question before no luck we have some new people on board so may get an answer,im sure there are 2 versions of Michael Jackson LITTLE CHRISTMAS TREE With different lyrics can anyone send any info on situation,Roger i reckon you could solve it.My fave Motown Xmas album is Stevie's by the way,cheers folks.

of course, The Supremes "Merry Christmas' is the greatest, most successful, ultimate Motown Christmas album...

I, too, bought all of the Motown Christmas albums upon their original release. I love them all, but, if I had to choose a favorite, it would be The Supremes.

But, I also love THIS! [[Forgive me, as it isn’t Motown, but I simply couldn’t resist!) This particular title was RE-reissued by Sundazed Records in honor of Black Friday two weeks ago. For those who may be interested, here is A Christmas Gift For You From Philles Records released -- for the first time ever – in glorious red vinyl!

As expected, it sold out in no time at all. There are still, however, a few copies available on eBay. [[My copy arrived yesterday!) If you’re not into Philles Records, just ignore it. But if you’re a Phil Spector Wall-Of-Sound fanatic like me, REJOICE!

You would have to let me know this! Now I will have to hunt down a copy!

I agree it is a fabulous album. To me, has much more punch and verve than the Motown albums which are pretty unimaginative in terms of arrangements. However, I do love both of the Temptations' Christmas LPs as well as "The Season for Miracles". And Wanda was so gorgeous on the cover!

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by philles/motown gary View Post
    i, too, bought all of the motown christmas albums upon their original release. I love them all, but, if i had to choose a favorite, it would be the supremes.

but, i also love this! [[forgive me, as it isn’t motown, but i simply couldn’t resist!) this particular title was re-reissued by sundazed records in honor of black friday two weeks ago. For those who may be interested, here is a christmas gift for you from philles records released -- for the first time ever – in glorious red vinyl!

as expected, it sold out in no time at all. There are still, however, a few copies available on ebay. [[my copy arrived yesterday!) if you’re not into philles records, just ignore it. But if you’re a phil spector wall-of-sound fanatic like me, rejoice!

the ultimate classic christmas album in the universe.cheers.

I really like The Jackson 5 and The Temptations Christmas album's, the best.

The following post is NOT meant to be preachy, however, it is what I noticed from a QUICK observation of the track lists from the Motown artists' Christmas albums: [[Note: I skimmed the titles from the Jackson 5, Temptations, Supremes, and the Miracles):

It appears that the Jackson 5 album might be the most "universally" safe/accepted holiday album because none of the songs [[per title) have reference to the birth of Jesus Christ. [[Again, I am not pointing a self righteous finger). Yes, there are references to universal love, but nothing that points to the Biblical account of the event of Jesus' birth.) This would make the Jackson 5 album safe to be played at a public school as opposed to the complete albums of the other artists.

The other albums whose track lists I skimmed have at least one song that points directly to Jesus Christ [[the Supremes original Christmas album has 4).

My favorite is the Supremes "Merry Christmas." The songs, delivery, and the production all say "Christmas" to me.

I could agree with the J5's as being "the best"! Some of that evaluation is emotional; I was "median age" of the J5 when the album was released so the youthful exuberance appealed to me then and continues to do so. I may have to include the Supremes as my "favorite", though. I love ALL Motown's Christmas releases and feel that the Motown artists, musicians, and producers managed to create music that was both contemporary and timeless AND in the spirit of the label's best work.

I bought myself an original Blue label copy a few weeks back and is one of the greatest purchases I've made! THAT is one of my favorite Christmas albums of all time! It cost me a few bucks, but is certainly worth the price.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    The following post is NOT meant to be preachy, however, it is what I noticed from a QUICK observation of the track lists from the Motown artists' Christmas albums: [[Note: I skimmed the titles from the Jackson 5, Temptations, Supremes, and the Miracles):

It appears that the Jackson 5 album might be the most "universally" safe/accepted holiday album because none of the songs [[per title) have reference to the birth of Jesus Christ. [[Again, I am not pointing a self righteous finger). Yes, there are references to universal love, but nothing that points to the Biblical account of the event of Jesus' birth.) This would make the Jackson 5 album safe to be played at a public school as opposed to the complete albums of the other artists.

The other albums whose track lists I skimmed have at least one song that points directly to Jesus Christ [[the Supremes original Christmas album has 4).

My favorite is the Supremes "Merry Christmas." The songs, delivery, and the production all say "Christmas" to me.
    Eight, actually, if you count "Silent Night," [[probably my favorite Motown Christmas track) "Oh Holy Night," "Noel," and "O Little Town of Bethlehem."

Besides the Supremes releasing "the ding-dong song", did any other Motown act have a Christmas single [[45) release?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Besides the Supremes releasing "the ding-dong song", did any other Motown act have a Christmas single [[45) release?
    J5 released "Santa Claus is Coming to Town."

Re singles:

The Tempts released RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER b/w SILENT NIGHT [[I believe).

Stevie released WHAT CHRISTMAS MEANS TO ME.

There was a promo release of the Miracles' CHRISTMAS EVERYDAY.

I think Marvin also had a Christmas single but I can't think of its title.

Thanks all for the info re: singles. I wonder what Christmas single was the best-selling? Perhaps J5?

Anteceleb12, you're correct, however, I was not counting those extra four songs as I stated in my post [[the Supremes original Christmas album has 4) since the general public who has the album probably does not have those classics. Very good observation...Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    Eight, actually, if you count "Silent Night," [[probably my favorite Motown Christmas track) "Oh Holy Night," "Noel," and "O Little Town of Bethlehem."

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Thanks all for the info re: singles. I wonder what Christmas single was the best-selling? Perhaps J5?
    Interesting question, as I think many Xmas singles were released more than once.

Jackson 5 top Motown artist Xmas album, "A Christmas Gift For You" top Xmas pop album, Nat King Cole best traditional Xmas Album. Although since Phil Spector's is a Various Artists album, there are many other VA's that are probably more universally popular e.g. - "Now That's What I Call Christmas". In the UK we had an excellent budget Motown album on Sounds Superb many years ago "It's Christmas In Motown".
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 12-10-2014 at 01:28 PM.

For those who may be interested, here are photos of the two Miracles Christmas albums. Wouldn't it have been wonderful if there had been a track featuring Wanda Rogers with her husband Bobby Rogers included in the 1970 release.Name:  $_57-5 2.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  89.5 KBName:  Screen Shot 2014-12-10 at 11.13.50 AM.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  96.7 KB

Never thought the J5 album ranked up there with the others although I appreciate the youthful enthusiasm of Santa Claus is Coming and I Saw Mommy Kissing SC. Maybe it is worth another listen.

I actually think the best Motown Christmas album are the compliation albums rather than an individual/group album. Every group's Christmas album has their strengths and their weakness. For example, Stevie Wonder's Christmas album has too many slow and doozy type of songs. If more songs were given the upbeat treatment like "What Christmas Means To Me," then I'd probably enjoy it more. The same can be said for the Temptations' Christmas Card album. It needed more pep to it. I actually think The Supremes' Christmas album could have waited another year or two when Diana's voice was more mature. If she sounded like she did on the Funny Girl album then it could have soared. Plus the album could have done without "Children's Christmas Song," "Twinkle Twinkle Little Me" and the Andantes. In essence, take the best tracks from all of the Christmas albums, put it together and you'll have the best Motown Christmas album.

it's easy to now say they should have waited two years for the Supremes album,but in 1965 no one knew if The Supremes would still be 'hot' in 1967..Gordy struck while the 'iron was hot'..

It also might be their best selling album outside of Their Greatest Hits; I saw it was estimated at 3 million copies.

Well if you can't make up your mind which Motown Christmas songs ,albums you like best......
    Here is over FOUR HOURS of Motown Christmas Music for you to enjoy and critique!

Nice one, Marv! By the way, Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Nice one, Marv! By the way, Merry Christmas!
    Thank you and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

[QUOTE=honest man;262708][QUOTE=Roger Polhill;Hello i have asked this question before no luck we have some new people on board so may get an answer,im sure there are 2 versions of Michael Jackson LITTLE CHRISTMAS TREE With different lyrics can anyone send any info on situation,Roger i reckon you could solve it.My fave Motown Xmas album is Stevie's by the way,cheers folks.[/QUOTE]
    I`m sorry Andy I can`t help you with this one.

Absolutely not. That honor, in my opinion, goes to the Phil Spector Christmas album. I'm in the minority here but I really don't like Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5. I like a little bit of his stuff from when he went solo as an adult but he sounds like a kid kicking and screaming on the floor at Woolworth's on those Christmas songs.

The Phil Spector Christmas album is not a Motown Christmas album.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Absolutely not. That honor, in my opinion, goes to the Phil Spector Christmas album. I'm in the minority here but I really don't like Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5. I like a little bit of his stuff from when he went solo as an adult but he sounds like a kid kicking and screaming on the floor at Woolworth's on those Christmas songs.
    I am right there with you. I am not a big MJ or J5 fan myself. However, there are a number of cuts on the Christmas album that have grown on me. The Spector album, even though its not Motown, reigns 'Supreme' [[pun completely intended) for me.

supremester Guest
    Right after they hit, his voice began to change and sound strained. I couldn't stad Mama's Pearl and the like for that very reason. On lower key ballads, he sounded better. I think for his bubble gum vocals, his last good moments were on The Christmas album and some annoying ones too. I forgot that I like both of Smokeys albums better than The J5.
    Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post

As far as Motown Xmas albums go, the Temptations' sets > everyone else's.