[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Brenda Holloway

Brenda Holloway

Does anyone here have contact information for Brenda Holloway? I wanted to send her a letter of appreciation. I believe that she's one of the most underappreciated artists at Motown.

Please PM me with details, if you have any.

Thanks,
    Billy

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Interesting blurb on that web site opening Brenda's stage bio:

One of the sexiest singers on the Motown label, Brenda Holloway was also one of its grittiest, with a strong gospel influence more typical of Southern soul than the company's usual polish.

Wow..one of the sexiest, yes. But one of the grittiest? With a style more typical of Southern soul than the company's usual polish? Who wrote this? The rest of the bio seems to be accurately written and drawn from the facts [[though it neglects to say that her second album only came out overseas).

I think Brenda was nothing if not smooth, more of a song stylist. She was certainly no belter. Even her great up tempo numbers like "When I'm Gone" are done in a style, while driven by the beat, still manages to focus on her sultry way with a song. I think she was unique in this regard. Even Mary Wells, while a great vocalist, sounded more like a teenager [[which I guess she was) than Brenda ever did [[even though she also was).

I'm curious. Do the rest of you think of her as a "Southern soul" singer? When I think of that, I think of someone like Mabel John or [[at Stax) Carla Thomas. I don't think this can really be said about any of the Motown female artists around that time, at least not the more well known ones.

I didn't get the "one of the grittiest" remark either, Kenneth. Brenda is sensational at what she does and has great range but I don't think of her as gritty when it comes to her style. Regarding female artists on Motown, I'd apply that to Hattie Littles.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Interesting blurb on that web site opening Brenda's stage bio:

One of the sexiest singers on the Motown label, Brenda Holloway was also one of its grittiest, with a strong gospel influence more typical of Southern soul than the company's usual polish.

Wow..one of the sexiest, yes. But one of the grittiest? With a style more typical of Southern soul than the company's usual polish? Who wrote this? The rest of the bio seems to be accurately written and drawn from the facts [[though it neglects to say that her second album only came out overseas).

I think Brenda was nothing if not smooth, more of a song stylist. She was certainly no belter. Even her great up tempo numbers like "When I'm Gone" are done in a style, while driven by the beat, still manages to focus on her sultry way with a song. I think she was unique in this regard. Even Mary Wells, while a great vocalist, sounded more like a teenager [[which I guess she was) than Brenda ever did [[even though she also was).

I'm curious. Do the rest of you think of her as a "Southern soul" singer? When I think of that, I think of someone like Mabel John or [[at Stax) Carla Thomas. I don't think this can really be said about any of the Motown female artists around that time, at least not the more well known ones.
    Kenneth, I agree with you 100%. Brenda Holloway is/was an elegant, highly stylized Motown artist. Her voice is sexy, yes, but she’s NOT a gritty belter nor was she ever. Like you said, that would be Southern Soul [[Stax or Hi Records, or Aretha), NOT the Brenda Holloway that we’ve grown to know and love.

The only truly-gritty belter at Motown who comes to mind is Vermetta Royster, the lead singer with Sisters Love [[MoWest), or, to a lesser degree, Mable John, as you already mentioned. - Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post

The only truly-gritty belter at Motown who comes to mind is Vermetta Royster, the lead singer with Sisters Love [[MoWest), or, to a lesser degree, Mable John, as you already mentioned. - Gary

I guess it depends on what period of Motown you are considering. In my opinion, both Yvonne Fair and Bettye LaVette could easily be considered "gritty belters."

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Kenneth, I agree with you 100%. Brenda Holloway is/was an elegant, highly stylized Motown artist. Her voice is sexy, yes, but she’s NOT a gritty belter nor was she ever. Like you said, that would be Southern Soul [[Stax or Hi Records, or Aretha), NOT the Brenda Holloway that we’ve grown to know and love.

Gladys Knight was probably the grittest,soul type female singer Motown had.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Gladys Knight was probably the grittest,soul type female singer Motown had.
    Yeah, you're right, Marv. Yvonne and Bettye are gritty for sure, Not sure I would categorize Gladys as "gritty", though. Soulful and powerful, yeah, but to my ears, Gladys' voice is too smooth to be gritty.

I used to see her neice often at my former work place,nice lady.

Don`t forget Blinky and Ann Bogan. Brenda is sweet and classy.

Some names I should have thought of but hadn't. Certainly Yvonne Fair, yes! She could sound at times like Vicki Anderson and, no wonder, since James Brown discovered both of them. He loved ladies with that sound, almost like they were growling while they were singing.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.