[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Nightflight" Tue Dec 2, 9P-12M ET: Gladys Knight & the Pips Tribute!

Howdy there, "Nightflight" listeners! I've been doing this show for 15 years, and strangely [[or not) I have never done a tribute to Gladys Knight, her brother Merald "Bubba" Knight, and her cousins William Guest and the late Edward Patten....Gladys Knight and the Pips! Well...tonight I will rectify that negligence by giving them a 3 hour spotlight. I could rave about Gladys' amazing voice, the Pips heavenly harmonies, and an over half a century long career...but you know all that. I've got some special things to share with you, too, and the music tonight will cover Motown and more!! And though I can't promise...I'll do my best to play your requests. So join me tonight for a "Pip" of a show with Gladys and her family...on "Nightflight...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org Thanks! See you on the radio! John

I'll never understand why a track as good as "If You Ever Get Your Hands On Love " wasn't released at the time, or how "Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me" got to #13 in the UK, but only reached #98 in the USA.

John, I posted this comment on Facebook, but for those on this site, maybe someone has an answer. Gladys Knight & The Pips's 1967 single, "Everybody Needs Love," had a Marvin Gaye composition "Stepping Closer To Your Heart" as the flip side. The recording didn't appear on the group's first Soul label Album, but I just noticed that the Complete Motown Singles 1967 edition didn't include this recording either. Does anyone know Why? It's a moody kind of song, and I quite like it. It finally appeared on a British twofer CD, "Everybody Needs Love/ Feelin' Bluesy. If you can find a source, it would be very cool to hear it on your Gladys Knight & The Pips radio program this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    John, I posted this comment on Facebook, but for those on this site, maybe someone has an answer. Gladys Knight & The Pips's 1967 single, "Everybody Needs Love," had a Marvin Gaye composition "Stepping Closer To Your Heart" as the flip side. The recording didn't appear on the group's first Soul label Album, but I just noticed that the Complete Motown Singles 1967 edition didn't include this recording either. Does anyone know Why? It's a moody kind of song, and I quite like it. It finally appeared on a British twofer CD, "Everybody Needs Love/ Feelin' Bluesy. If you can find a source, it would be very cool to hear it on your Gladys Knight & The Pips radio program this evening.
    Still my 2 favorite GK and the Ps albums, Mark! And that track....I got it...so you get it! Thanks, Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    STEPPING CLOSER TO YOUR HEART was originally the flip side to the 1966 single JUST WALK IN MY SHOES. So it appears on the Complete Motown Singles 1966 edition.

Oh...by the way....Tom Moulton was very kind and thoughtful and is sharing a track never aired nor released before by GKATPs...it's quite terrific! Thanks, Tom!!!

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Oh...by the way....Tom Moulton was very kind and thoughtful and is sharing a track never aired nor released before by GKATPs...it's quite terrific! Thanks, Tom!!!
    hi johnny im lookin forward, i kkow u will be playing the best from the motown and latter buddah yrs, but would u be able to,play letters full of tears found on t anthology motown, and i feel a song in my heart from the buddah yrs. I cant wait to hear ur show grst choice Gladys Knight and the pips were a premiere act.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    hi johnny im lookin forward, i kkow u will be playing the best from the motown and latter buddah yrs, but would u be able to,play letters full of tears found on t anthology motown, and i feel a song in my heart from the buddah yrs. I cant wait to hear ur show grst choice Gladys Knight and the pips were a premiere act.

Hello there, Franjoy!!! Sure....I will play those for you!!

....in the studio....howdeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Evening John & The Gang!

Here with Carl and I know tonights playlist will be killer! Looking forward to all the surprises in store

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Evening John & The Gang!

Here with Carl and I know tonights playlist will be killer! Looking forward to all the surprises in store

Hello Glen and Carl!!!! Great to see you, Gents!!!

Enjoying your show with every beat of my heart.

Martin

Thanks johnny oh what memories. Those two tracks from the opening tracks of t anthology album. Thank you. Franjoy, frances from brooklyn ny.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Thanks johnny oh what memories. Those two tracks from the opening tracks of t anthology album. Thank you. Franjoy, frances from brooklyn ny.
    My pleasure....Frances!!! Hola to Brooklyn!!!

JOHN!! Fellow Nightflighters!! Hope everyone is well and had a fantastic Thanksgiving.

Is it just me or is anyone else hearing John out of only one channel?

Gladys is performing in Houston in a month or two. Does anyone know if she'll be singing Motown or standards or both?

Quote Originally Posted by texassoul View Post
    Is it just me or is anyone else hearing John out of only one channel?

Howdy thereMike...happy Thanksgiving to you too! I just checkied my internet connection...I'm getting both channels...

Howdy thereMike...happy Thanksgiving to you too! I just checkied my internet connection...I'm getting both channels...
    I hear music out of both channels, but only hear your mic mostly out of one channel. Oh well!

I Will Fight!! TOP TUNE! LOVE IT.

I love some of the songs she did with Chris Botti.....one being "Lover Man".

Always liked Gladys & her Pips when they came to my attention on my little transistor radio with their earliest single releases on the Motown subsidiary label, Soul: "Just Walk In My Shoes" and "Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me." I knew they weren't killer tracks back then, but they sure eventually showed their talent on stuff that got released and that which amazingly stayed in the Motown vaults that should have seen the light of day way back when!!!

Howard in Long Beach, CA

Does anybody have any idea how much music is still sitting in the Motown vaults? Are they waiting for all of us to die before they release it? Seriously!

Claudine!!

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    Always liked Gladys & her Pips when they came to my attention on my little transistor radio with their earliest single releases on the Motown subsidiary label, Soul: "Just Walk In My Shoes" and "Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me." I knew they weren't killer tracks back then, but they sure eventually showed their talent on stuff that got released and that which amazingly stayed in the Motown vaults that should have seen the light of day way back when!!!

Howard in Long Beach, CA
    Hello Howard!! Great to see you. Awwwwwwwwwwwwww..."Just Walk In My SHoes" KILLS ME!!!!!!

Enjoying the show. Love Gladys Knight ad the Pips. Thanks Midnight Johnny.

Does anybody have any idea how much music is still sitting in the Motown vaults? Are they waiting for all of us to die before they release it? Seriously!
    .....I believe there are still a few tons...but what do I know [[*grin)....

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Enjoying the show. Love Gladys Knight ad the Pips. Thanks Midnight Johnny.
    Hello there Victor!!!! Great to see you!!!

Hello there Victor!!!! Great to see you!!!
    Thank you.. Great to see you too!

Does Tom Moulton have a regular radio gig?
    Last edited by texassoul; 12-02-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Does Tom Moulton have a regular radio gig?
    Nope.....all he does is mix.....mix....mix!!! Thank God!

Really liking Moulton's choice of this song!

Really liking Moulton's choice of this song!
    .....QUITE gorgeous!!!!!

Nope.....all he does is mix.....mix....mix!!! Thank God!
    Speaking of which, when are you gonna get back to work remixing?? We're waiting for more of your beloved remixes with great anticipation!!

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post

Howard in Long Beach, CA
    Hundreds of people in the UK would disagree that those two tracks weren't killer tracks

Speaking of which, when are you gonna get back to work remixing?? We're waiting for more of your beloved remixes with great anticipation!!
    Thanks a lot, Mike......

"Taste Of Bitter Love".....my top favorite by Gladys. Nicely and respectfully covered by D-Influence.

D-Influence cover of Taste Of Bitter Love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVF3C0o6iLQ

supremester Guest
    Great show.... AGAIN!!! My fave Gladys: Nitty Gritty, If I Were Your Woman, You Need Love Like I Do, I Don't Want To Do Wrong, Help Me Make It Through The Night, Midnight Train and Hero. I never liked the song at all when Bette did it, but I saw Gladys do it live a few years ago and it blew me away. WOW.
    anyway, thanks for another great evening!!

Gregg & geoff

Reese, Many thanks for pointing out where I can find Gladys Knight & The Pip's version of "Stepping Closer To Your Heart." Don't know how I overlooked that! And many thanks to you John,
    for playing it this evening. And to Hear ""Taste of Bitter Love" again!

YES to the request for an extended version of Baby Don't Change Your Mind.

Love John's extended version of If I Were Your Woman.....brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Great show.... AGAIN!!! My fave Gladys: Nitty Gritty, If I Were Your Woman, You Need Love Like I Do, I Don't Want To Do Wrong, Help Me Make It Through The Night, Midnight Train and Hero. I never liked the song at all when Bette did it, but I saw Gladys do it live a few years ago and it blew me away. WOW.
    anyway, thanks for another great evening!!

Gregg & geoff
    Thank you, Gregg and Geoff!!!! Great to see you....!

Love John's extended version of If I Were Your Woman.....brilliant.
    Mike.....thank you so much...glad you like it!!!

Johnny,

Great show... however, please see were [[revisited)

http://unenlightenedenglish.com/2009/05/was-vs-were
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 12-03-2014 at 12:08 AM.

supremester Guest
    How are you gonna beat that? Killer remix TY

"Snuck in"... yes, just got home from a [[pre)Christmas gathering .

supremester Guest
    Carol: thank you !
    Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Johnny,

Great show... however, please see were [[revisted)

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Johnny,

Great show... however, please see were [[revisited)

Carole....thank you....I will check that out when I get home......I perused the interesting exploration of the 2 usages. Thanks!

Grammatically, "If I were" is one of the few surviving examples of the subjunctive mood in English. Another example is "Long live the king".