[REMOVE ADS]

What Soul Music Performance or Event Are You Most Thankful For?

A thread for Thanksgiving! Like all of us I could easily produce a top 10 list, a top 20, etc, etc! But for this thread I’ll name one, and that would be Aretha’s version of “Don’t Play That Song”. What is your choice for the one soul music event you are most thankful for?

This one.

thomas96 Guest
    The entire "Save the Children" concert.

Girl[why you wanna make me blue]the temptations.

#1 ~ 'All' my husband's concerts, "JIMMY SCOTT" the master of the ballad. Not because he was my husband but because he truly was a genius in interpreting a lyric, as well as a teacher.

#2 ~ "James Brown & The Famous Flames Revue" at the Apollo,
    I was there every time and during the 1967 LIVE taping of the album. Biggest, most filling, best performances over any other R & B shows of the day. Off the chain, Baby!

#3 ~ "JACKIE WILSON" , Fun times, Jackie blew up the stage every time!
    The Manhattans featuring "Smitty" [[1965-1970) Smitty's performances were off the hook heart wrenching, like he was wired to his audiences, unbelievable! You had to be there!!!

#4 ~ The O'Jays killed it every time, Eddie would bring it every time. Plus any of the Chitlin` Circuit Shows with The 5 Stairsteps, The Intruders, etc..........

#5 ~ The Stax-Volt Revues with Otis, Sam & Dave, the Bar-Kays, Booker T & The MG's, Carla Thomas, The MadLads, etc.........

Those were my favorite back in the day shows, of course, Jimmy was timeless.

S.S.
    Last edited by Soul Sister; 11-27-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sister View Post
    #1 ~ 'All' my husband's concerts, "JIMMY SCOTT" the master of the ballad. Not because he was my husband but because he truly was a genius in interpreting a lyric, as well as a teacher.

I was there every time and during the 1967 LIVE taping of the album. Biggest, most filling, best performances over any other R & B shows of the day. Off the chain, Baby!

The Manhattans featuring "Smitty" [[1965-1970) Smitty's performances were off the hook heart wrenching, like he was wired to his audiences, unbelievable! You had to be there!!!

#4 ~ The O'Jays killed it every time, Eddie would bring it every time. Plus any of the Chitlin` Circuit Shows with The 5 Stairsteps, The Intruders, etc..........

#5 ~ The Stax-Volt Revues with Otis, Sam & Dave, the Bar-Kays, Booker T & The MG's, Carla Thomas, The MadLads, etc.........

S.S.
    I agree with S. S.

edafan

Great minds, edafan.

I would say the best performance caught on tape would be James & the Flames on the T.A.M.I. show.

S.S.

Sly & The Family Stone at Woodstock

I once stated on this board that I didn't think James Brown had a good voice. I now have to eat those words, because I heard him do a great rendition of a ballad. I can't remember which one it was. But the cat can sing when he wants to. I wanted more singing from him if he could sing like that. I don't like shouters shouting all the time. I love David Ruffin when he really sang, but sometimes he got into the shouting mode. I like real singing.

edafan

Motown 25 because it showcased the top Motown talents especially Michael Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sister View Post

S.S.
    Thanks for that wonderful post! I never got to see Mr. Scott in person but I love his albums. "All The Way" is a particular favorite. Best to you!

I would have to say the early Motortown Revues on record. The first time I saw Mary Wells walk out onstage with her long black hair, orange gown , gold heels & the excitement of the crowd...goose bumps just remembering . Then the first time seeing James Brown LIVE & the first time seeing the Ike & Tina Turner Revue LIVE...mind blowing just how GREAT they were.Ofcourse seeing the Marvelettes LIVE on the Otis Redding tour was pretty exciting too.

words cannot describe...........

Name:  Temptations-live.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  31.7 KB