[REMOVE ADS]

I guess "livin' large" ain't what it's all cracked up to be, and everyone eventually thinks of "down sizing!" In Vancouver, Canada, developers are pushing the city to legalize the construction of condos under 250 square feet for sale. I shudder to think of what the future holds in store for those who want to live in the centre of the city, and the only way to achieve this is to live in a "closet."
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 11-25-2014 at 11:04 PM.

Very tasteful home.

Smokey was trying to sell that house 6 or 7 years ago [[before the housing market collapse) for 13 million...

Ten fireplaces???

It's cold in California!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It's cold in California!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  21.1 KB
    Californians [[even those who live in The Sierra Nevada Mountains) have no idea what REAL cold is like. In Chatsworth, it never even gets below freezing. All those fireplaces are used for is contributing to Global Warming, and burning evidence.

I'm a Native Floridian so when I lived in Southern Calif. in the early 70's I thought I would freeze to death , in Nov. & Dec.I had a long leather trench coat that I wore at night. I almost froze in Detroit on a July 4th weekend!!

As a transplanted Michigander to Southern California I can tell you for sure that after the first couple of years living out here and enjoying the relatively "mild" winters that something happens to your blood and by year three you're freezing your buttocks off during the winter months...especially in the valleys and the high desert areas. The basin remains relatively mild in the winter and not so hot in the summer, but the outer valleys are very hot in the summer and get downright frigid in the winter as the sun sets earlier due to our southern geographic position...

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Californians [[even those who live in The Sierra Nevada Mountains) have no idea what REAL cold is like. In Chatsworth, it never even gets below freezing. All those fireplaces are used for is contributing to Global Warming, and burning evidence.
    When I was a kid, it used to go to -40 or -50 F each winter.

While we certainly don't get that, they sure don't need 10 fireplaces in any house in Southern California. Even in the mountains, two would be plenty.

Well Rob [[and Robb)...The house has a bazillion rooms. I guess Smokey just likes fireplaces...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 11-26-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I'm a Native Floridian so when I lived in Southern Calif. in the early 70's I thought I would freeze to death , in Nov. & Dec.I had a long leather trench coat that I wore at night. I almost froze in Detroit on a July 4th weekend!!
    I have a friend who moved to Florida after living in northern New Jersey and southern New Hampshire for over 40 years. He was also an avid downhill skier.

In the past 30 years he often visits family and friends here in the north but usually during warmer seasons. I was surprised when we met up in Provincetown one summer to see that he was freezing on a beautiful balmy evening on Cape Cod!

Didn't Sinatra settle all of this..."Hates California, it's cold and it's damp....That's why the lady is a tramp"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    I guess "livin' large" ain't what it's all cracked up to be, and everyone eventually thinks of "down sizing!" In Vancouver, Canada, developers are pushing the city to legalize the construction of condos under 250 square feet for sale. I shudder to think of what the future holds in store for those who want to live in the centre of the city, and the only way to achieve this is to live in a "closet."
    Yeah but you have to admit that housing costs in Vancouver are ridiculous! It's not like it's NYC......hehehehehehe.,....

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Robb, they don't know what it is like. I was out there, in Santa Barbara and LA a little over a week ago and it was over 90 degs in November!

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Didn't Sinatra settle all of this..."Hates California, it's cold and it's damp....That's why the lady is a tramp"?
    Clever

I just figured it out - 10 fireplaces = Smokey

I think the older people get, the more they want to down size. Can you also imagine the monthly bills on a property that large? And, why would he need all that room? I think Mary Wilson recently listed [[and may have sold) a huge home she had built in Las Vegas. I think people are going with the idea now "more room than needed". Yes, however, this is a beautiful place. I think Claudette still lives in the Beverly Hills home on Oakhurst.

Quote Originally Posted by rrussi View Post
    I think the older people get, the more they want to down size. Can you also imagine the monthly bills on a property that large? And, why would he need all that room? I think Mary Wilson recently listed [[and may have sold) a huge home she had built in Las Vegas. I think people are going with the idea now "more room than needed". Yes, however, this is a beautiful place. I think Claudette still lives in the Beverly Hills home on Oakhurst.
    Smokey has a home in Vegas which I believe he lists as his primary residence in an effort to avoid sky high Calfornia income taxes and another home in his wife's hometown near Pittsburgh..

Which house was Smokey flaunting in 2004 on Ebony? The Chastworth home or the Vegas residence?

People's greediness astounds me, it really does. He can't be satisfied with asking DOUBLE what he paid for it, no, he has to ask almost TRIPLE what he paid for it. And FURTHERMORE... almost 8 million clams and the john doesn't even have a padded toilet seat?
    Last edited by jillfoster; 11-28-2014 at 01:23 AM.

Yah but Smokey sat and the one in that house.

Hell, probably Diana and Berry did too!

Yields a high price for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    People's greediness astounds me, it really does. He can't be satisfied with asking DOUBLE what he paid for it, no, he has to ask almost TRIPLE what he paid for it. And FURTHERMORE... almost 8 million clams and the john doesn't even have a padded toilet seat?
    Well Jill...I'm not sure Id call it greed to price your property to the current market value...If it's too high...then he'll get no takers at that price...If he want's to replace it with another house, he'll have to pay in todays dollars for todays market values...Pricing should be based on what the market will bear and I'm sure whomever eventually buys it can afford it...or at least think they can. Being in the retail automotive business for several years I always laugh when a customer will ask what I paid for a particular car, like that's what they should base their offer on...not the current market value...I always tell em..."I won it in a craps game" LOL

Yah but Smokey sat and the one in that house.

Hell, probably Diana and Berry did too!

Yields a high price for that reason.
    Berry has his own bedroom suite in Smokey's house...seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Berry has his own bedroom suite in Smokey's house...seriously...
    LOL, any truthfully, I believe all of that puts up the price.

How come he has his own suite there?

Berry lives in Palm Desert...Bighorn to be exact...I'm sure he spent a lot of time at Smokey's house over the years and Smokey just allocated some digs to his longtime mentor...Not sure if Berry still owns the Bel Air house in L.A.
    Last edited by StuBass1; 11-28-2014 at 02:12 AM.

"The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Garage"

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    "The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Garage"
    Good one...

supremester Guest
    Multiples of paid price are not based on greed, but by the market. I paid 77.5 in 1983 but it's worth 8-10x that now. if I sold it for DOUBLE, I prolly could not buy any hiuse within 5 miles of here - 2 bdrm condos are 200-350k ...

PS The in tilet seats cost 7-10k and most of those are not padded, but offer other amenities. Most users come with their own padding ; )

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post

RossHolloway Guest
    I thought that his house was very tastefully done and nice.

When I was a kid, it used to go to -40 or -50 F each winter.

While we certainly don't get that, they sure don't need 10 fireplaces in any house in Southern California. Even in the mountains, two would be plenty.
Views: 156
    That certainly wasn't Vancouver, getting down to 50 or even 40 below. Those look like Winnipeg numbers. Or, possibly Edmonton, or somewhere in The Rockies. Where did you grow up?

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Multiples of paid price are not based on greed, but by the market. I paid 77.5 in 1983 but it's worth 8-10x that now. if I sold it for DOUBLE, I prolly could not buy any hiuse within 5 miles of here - 2 bdrm condos are 200-350k ...

PS The in tilet seats cost 7-10k and most of those are not padded, but offer other amenities. Most users come with their own padding ; )
Views: 159
    Supremester, are you from St. Louis?